Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When to use the low voice?  (Read 3161 times)

Andy

• Regular debater
When to use the low voice?
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »

When playing a box  (B/C) with 2 or 3 sets of medium reeds and the option of bringing in a low set (1 octave lower) as well.

Are there any types of tune or places within a tune where it would be particularly appropriate, or indeed inappropriate, to bring in the low set?
Would you recomend leaving the L set of reeds either in or out for complete tunes/sets or would you switch them on and off to add variety within a tune?

I am thinking here mostly of Scottish tunes.

Thanks

george garside

Re: When to use the low voice?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »

Its very much down to personal preference and there is definately no such thing as appropriate or  inappropriate!   

In very general terms( because it can vary from tune to tune  and also what other instruments you are playing wth)  I prefer mm for faster tunes jigs,reels etc  and bring in the low reeds to thicken things .up a bit for waltzes.   Marches, hornpipes can go either way and I generaly prefer mm for slow aires  - but these are only my personal choices

If you can switch easily from 2 to 3 voices & back again while playing eg on a paolo soprani with couplers rather than stops changing voices mid tune  can  provide some extra interest

But at the end of the day its very much up to what sounds best  to the individual

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »

I agree with George on this - it's all down to personal choice. I like a nice fat four voice sound. Either LMMH for one row, or LMMM for the semitone box. IMO the crucial factor here is to leave space for the other instruments. There is a tendency for dry tuning to sap the energy of other instruments if too many voices are used. My preference is for a nice wide swing between the MM or MMM reeds to leave space for the fiddle.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:26:22 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »

Oh to have an instrument where you can switch between voices DURING the tune! I don't know how anyone can stop playing and quickly pull/push a stop out/in while mid-tune. Unless you've got those brilliant handy couplers. Want want want!
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »

I agree, it's fun to add a reed set during the tune.  With the stops on my Pastourelle I can do it with some clever chin action.  Can't deny that it's to taste, though.  I'm very fond of the low reed playing on its own, very effect for airs and songs.

http://accordeonaire.blogspot.com/2011/05/playing-low-lonesome-reed.html
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »

A while back I too asked the same question as I hadn't a clue.
I now am using it more as I have a box where I can choose between M, MM, LMM or LM and find LM is being used a lot.
I've also started to play some of Andy Cutting's wonderful tunes. Following a tip from Steve Freereeder, he sometimes plays a tune up an octave but uses the low reed to 'bring it down' to where you think it was if that makes sense! ( I'm thinking of the History Man in particular. ) These are tunes sometimes I'll only play from the music for my own enjoyment as opposed to trying to learn them for playing in a session etc., so it's for my sheer pleasure.
In general terms I usually consider it for waltzes, something slower where it seems to thicken up the sound nicely.
......but as said there are no absolute rules!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »

I did enjoy LA Soufflete, Gary, thank you. I am now seriously into the looking at various 2 and a half rows with couplers. I love my Saltearelle Nuage but I too am learning a number of Andy Cutting tunes and more French dance tunes and I love that fullness of sound you are talking about. However there is the added weight to bring into the equation. More research must be done!
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »

I too mainly go for the deeper sound on some tunes when playing in the upper octave. e.g. Andy Cuttings Flatworld/In a Continental Mood and Blowzabella's Horizonto. Also some tunes just sound better lower or fuller, personal choice I suppose.

Brian Peters 'Blossom in the Rain' is a good example of switching settings throughout the tune and adding textural layers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxfc7l63Pg

Cheers,

Sandy
 (:)

deltasalmon

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »

I have three stops for LMM and I try to use all sorts of combinations. In general, I agree mostly with George. I play mostly Irish trad and for tunes like jigs and reels I prefer to have the 2-voice MM sound, and for polkas and hornpipes I tend to prefer LMM. I don't know why this is but its just how it sounds better to me.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:41:48 PM »

use it all the time , you've paid for it !  ;D

seriously, do whatever sounds best. ring the changes , play a tune without it then bring it in snd vice versa. its particularly useful for tunes up at the dusty end
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »

Oh to have an instrument where you can switch between voices DURING the tune! I don't know how anyone can stop playing and quickly pull/push a stop out/in while mid-tune.
Look and learn!
Watch especially at about 1:06 and again at about 2:03.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »

Oh to have an instrument where you can switch between voices DURING the tune! I don't know how anyone can stop playing and quickly pull/push a stop out/in while mid-tune.
Look and learn!
Watch especially at about 1:06 and again at about 2:03.
Oh yes! And he does it quite delicately too; though the first time it looks merely as though he flicks a switch with his thumb...the 'chin dip' comes later on! Thanks, Steve!
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »

Generally, I find that on my Tommy or Mory, playing LMM in D in the bottom octave sounds too low. Listen to Andy Cutting playing Elizabeth Clare on the Chris Wood/Andy Cutting album 'Lusignac', where he moves to the lower octave: I think its too low with LMM. If I wanted/needed the LMM fuller sound then I would shift to the upper octave if the tune allowed. On the G row, the lower octave is OK with LMM, but more 'sensitive' in MM. Again, moving to the top octave enables the LMM sound.
Cheers
Hugh
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal