Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: MELODEON PRICES  (Read 9789 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Re: MELODEON PRICES
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »

Couldn`t afford the expensive Solina (the ARP badge driving up the price - it was the equivalent of Castagnari badging Scarlatti melodeons) the one I had wasn`t as good as the Solina, it was traditional Castelfidardo Crap -- the accordions made in this area may have been wonderful but the electronic stuff, especially the synths was on the whole utter garbage though some of this garbage sounded good when it worked like the Solina and a few of the combo organs.

the Moog was Superb through the copycat, instant Rick Wakeman (he had 3 moogs so didn`t need one)
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »

to me (admittedly 1979 onwards) Watkins meant only two things - the Copicat tape echo and the Speaker cabs which to the 1980-82 penury student meant topped with a battered to death Sound City 120 Valve head .. Run a crappy Italian String machine, a Casiotone 202 (for a makeshift Piano)  and a Minimoog through that lot and was well sorted :) ..

Now you're taking ! Watkins copycat. Brilliant invention.

Oh, the memories come flooding back, The Hammond organ, a Lesley speaker ( a loudspeaker that revolved inside a cabinet) the Stones ,the Who, Led Zepp, Status ,dear Rolf and the Stylophone.
As for the Watkins and that wonderful Dutchman Moog, has anything been bettered. I just love the smell of hot valves (tubes) in the morning
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »

to me (admittedly 1979 onwards) Watkins meant only two things - the Copicat tape echo and the Speaker cabs which to the 1980-82 penury student meant topped with a battered to death Sound City 120 Valve head .. Run a crappy Italian String machine, a Casiotone 202 (for a makeshift Piano)  and a Minimoog through that lot and was well sorted :) ..

Now you're taking ! Watkins copycat. Brilliant invention.

I made an echo unit in the 60's using an electric fire element and two diaphragms  from an old set of headphones all placed in a shoe box. Wish my surname was Watkins. Would have been a millionaire by now. Ish.

Oh, the memories come flooding back, The Hammond organ, a Lesley speaker ( a loudspeaker that revolved inside a cabinet) the Stones ,the Who, Led Zepp, Status ,dear Rolf and the Stylophone.
As for the Watkins and that wonderful Dutchman Moog, has anything been bettered. I just love the smell of hot valves (tubes) in the morning
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »

I had the pleasure of telling Dave Roberts in the mid 90's that he'd "changed the face of English melodeonism". He seemed very surprised, but his Blowsabella stuff had been really excellent. Also it was played on one of the very first Castas with it's C row 'brutally' changed to D as a quick fix for sale.  :|glug
It always did flummox people (me included!) when they picked up Dave's box and found it was a G/D not a D/G...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal