Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: International Shipping?  (Read 6562 times)

RGF

• Regular debater
International Shipping?
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »

I have searched the forum for pertinent posts, and find that most of the discussion is about shipping within, or from, locations in Europe and the UK. (Expectedly, as that seems to be where the majority of members reside.) My question concerns shipping from the US to Europe and the UK. Hopefully there is someone -- perhaps stateside -- who can offer the benefit of some experience.

At question is the Erica I have offered for sale here in the Buy/Sell section. I had a very eager buyer in the EU, and it appeard to be a done deal until we explored the shipping options. As the instrument represents a considerable bit of cash, we both wanted the ability to track the package en route, which seems to require that one single carrier be responsible for the parcel door-to-door. The least costly options for this were: UPS, $399; Fedex, $395; DHL, $368.  :o

The U.S. Postal Service offers delivery of the same package for $75, but, they assume responsibility for the package only while it is in their possession. When the handoff is made at the other end, they're done with it. I know this because......I once sent a gift to someone in Denmark via this method, it was never seen again, and I had no choice but to assume the loss myself. In the case of this melodeon, neither the buyer or myself were eager to assume this risk.

I suppose I'll just list it on ebay and limit delivery to within the U.S., but for future reference, I would welcome the benefit of anyone else's experience with this.

Thanks!

Bob

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
Re: International Shipping?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »

Is there such a thing as independent parcel insurance?  I must admit that when I took delivery of my Liliput from Germany I took the precaution of insuring it before they sent it, just in case, and making sure that postage transit was covered.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:39:58 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »

In the UK there are several intermediaries, such as Interparcel, Parcel2go, etc, that you can book through and the delivery is actually carried out by one of the well known couriers eg UPS, DHL, Fedex etc.  This method is usually much less expensive than going direct to the courier.  I think it likely that there are similar firms in the USA, but I don't know who they are.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »

Interparcel are pretty good, but importing into the UK can have a hidden cost. HM customs and excise.
I recently bought an Edison Phonograph from the States for 300.00 Dollars, a brilliant deal but when it arrived in this country Customs held onto it asking me to cough up £50.00 for excise duty, there is no way you can argue with them. A bit like receiving a speeding ticket. Just lie back with your legs in the air and pay up.
Slightly off thread but worth thinking about.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

Good thoughts, thank you.

The independent parcel insurance might be the answer to my postal service insecurity (depending on the cost), and it'll be interesting to investigate how much Theo's suggestion might reduce the exhorbitant cost of going through the big carriers. I mean, really....400 dollars for a 5 kilo package in the cargo hold?! A quick look online suggests that $800 could get me round-trip airfare from Chicago to Dublin, with a free bag of pretzels!

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »

Thanks, Nick. The would-be buyer had mentioned that, also, and was willing to accept some import duties. But when stacked on top of that ridiculous delivery charge.....it's a wonder that any small goods move at all between private buyers and sellers. You'd think we were totally upsetting the balance of trade. (Or else we're providing jobs for tax collectors.)

Bob

Matthew B

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 05:35:15 PM »

I've had boxes shipped in both directions across the Atlantic by DHL, and the cost was reasonable, but this was some time ago.  I think DHL may no longer be in the US.  USPS offers an insured and registered service which seems pretty reliable, and works for smaller items, though I've not used this option for melodeons yet.  "Proper" shipping, complete with excise, carnets, and all the other bells and whistles is a real undertaking and best avoided whenever possible.  As I'm back and forth across the ocean fairly regularly anyway, I usually just hand carry things, and then mail them when I get to the UK. 

Word to the wise, though: the pretzels aren't really "free".   
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

AirTime

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »

The courier charge seems a little high. My quote for a Erica sized package: 12" x 14" x 8" - 12lbs. comes out at a little over $200 to the UK (it might be higher to somewhere else in the EU).

The US post office is certainly going to be cheaper. I'm not sure why insurance would not cover door-to-door delivery - surely it does? I have shipped artwork back & forth between the UK & the US on many occasions. It's always arrived OK. There is always the possibility of a screw-up though.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

mory

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »

Its always worth checking the small print, I found that in a lot of cases even those willing to charge extra for insurance had all sorts of get outs, including, no cover for antiques, no cover for musical instruments.
This from Parcel force,
1.10 “Antique” means an object which is over 100 years old.
1.11 “Collectable” means something which has appreciated in value either due to its scarcity or due to it being no longer in production.
9.16 Parcelforce Worldwide have the right to reject any claims which overstate the value of the contents and make no payment at all towards the value of the contents, although any relevant delay payment will be made.
There are also strict requirements on packaging.
All the big name dispatchers seem to have these get outs, beware. All the Best mory

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »

Being an over-cautious packer, my Erica box is a bit larger -- 16 x 18 x 18, to allow for multiple inches of foam around the instrument itself. And, yes, the price I was quoted said something about "weight/volume" charges "billable weight" or something like that, but I just can't bring myself to ship it with less packing protection. I seem to recall that UPS or Fedex or one of them insisted that "Your own packaging" include a minimum of two inches of padding all around, which would make the box 12x16x16, in any event. (And of course they round up for a hair's breadth over the full inch.)

Bob

(Coming gradually to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle :()

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »

The courier charge seems a little high. My quote for a Erica sized package: 12" x 14" x 8" - 12lbs. comes out at a little over $200 to the UK (it might be higher to somewhere else in the EU).

The US post office is certainly going to be cheaper. I'm not sure why insurance would not cover door-to-door delivery - surely it does? I have shipped artwork back & forth between the UK & the US on many occasions. It's always arrived OK. There is always the possibility of a screw-up though.

Still seems costly, I use GWizz Couriers (who then use DHL) quoted for your parcel UK=>US at ~£50 with additional £4 for £500 insurance cover.

Roger Howard

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »

For what it's worth, Bernard Loffet is using Geodis to ship a 2.5 row to me - sent yesterday, expected Friday. Perhaps they have a US operation which might worth investigating?

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »

Thanks, Lester. I have just looked at the GWhizz (now Total Parcels) website, and it appears that they are UK based. I see no indication of my being able to ship from the U.S. to Europe via their services.

In any event, my would-be buyer has backed out, and this is all so complicated and expensive that I'm just not inclined to deal with the hassle and expense of international shipping. The Erica will either find a home here in the states or I'll keep it myself.... I tried, but it just doesn't seem worth the trouble for one transaction.

Thanks!
Bob

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

Thanks, Roger. Searched their website for "USA" and came up zero.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

Last time I needed to bring in an instrument I asked around among friends, (facebook helped get the word round them quickly) and I had two offers from willing couriers. Then the deal fell through!.  Worth asking around though.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »

For parcels between Cyprus and UK I usually use Fast Lane International http://www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/quote/index.php.  I've never looked at them for transatlantic shipping, but they offer an "anywhere to anywhere" service which might be worth looking at.  For UK-Cyprus services they usually use TNT (occasionally DHL) and it generally comes out at less than 2/3 the price of going direct to TNT.

Hope this helps
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:38:57 AM »

I've had parcels from Castagnari (twice) and Gaillard in France (UPS, not cheap) with no problems at all.  The last one looked to be about £100 for the sending and the same again insurance as we'd valued it at Eu4k

About 20 years ago I sent a well baled-up Lilly to Cleckheaton, using our UK Post Office. Though marked 'fragile' it had clearly been dropped and most of the RH reeds were it seems loose in the bellows. There was no problem putting this right on the insurance (£5) however.
  _       _    _      _ 

Jono

• Good talker
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 03:42:12 AM »

Does anyone here have experience in shipping a melodeon from the UK, Europe, USA or Canada to Australia or New Zealand? What did it cost, and did the cost include insurance and tracking?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »

Sort of.  I was in Napier in 2008 and saw some lovely local art in a cafe.  Paid NZ$1400 for it/shipping/insurance.

Well it never came! There was a cryptic TNT note in my door one day, but phoning that number - they knew nothing. Letters to the shop were not answered and in the end my credit card company gave me a refund.  Caveat emptor - as they say  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

FlatHampster

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »

I have purchased a melodeon from a private seller on ebay in the USA. The box cost less than $1000 Australian dollars, and was sent by FedEX. It arrived in good condition and was trackable the entire way. It was actually quite frustrating to watch my new accordion have a holiday in Hawaii whilst I was dying for it to arrive. Months later, I considered buying a more expensive box from the UK, but discovered that if you go over $1000 AU dollars on an international purchase (including postage)the cost becomes very prohibitive, due to tax reasons. I would need to be getting a very outstanding deal to even consider it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal