Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for December 2012: The Return of the Christmas Theme  (Read 20260 times)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
Re: Theme of the Month for December 2012: The Return of the Christmas Theme
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »

Just did my first bodge fix. Button mechanism pushing the button next to it.

Anyway I was out playing carols today so I couldn't resist an unusual angle. More carols another day (got lots of practice today)! I'd have videoed but was in a marquee with children making wooden reindeer so much hammering going on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpUNP9OsDB0

/edit Had to re-upload video.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:15:27 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »

To All,
Sorry about adding to comments in earlier post!
Post edited to where I should have left it.
Michael

?? I'm struggling to recall a time when you've been anything other positive with your posts Michael! Sometimes posts that deserve a response get bypassed because forum members who think 'I must reply to that post' end up being too busy on that day and then forget but that's our fault not yours and no criticism is intended. Did I miss a post when you were a really bad boy?  :o
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »

A New Zealand Christmas Carol - Te Harinui - NZers will likely cringe at this as it is the one that everyone sings at Christmas time, but it is a really lovely tune (honest!).

http://youtu.be/zLJL7qjMCzM

(Written by Willow Macky in 1957, about Samuel Marsden first preaching in the Bay of Islands on Christmas Day 1814 - it has some lovely words that bring a lump to the throat when the children sing it at school)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »

A New Zealand Christmas Carol - Te Harinui - NZers will likely cringe at this as it is the one that everyone sings at Christmas time, but it is a really lovely tune (honest!).

(Written by Willow Macky in 1957, about Samuel Marsden first preaching in the Bay of Islands on Christmas Day 1814 - it has some lovely words that bring a lump to the throat when the children sing it at school)

What a delightful tune! That's going on my 'to learn' list straight away.

X:42
T:Te Harinui
C:Willow Macky
M:3/4
L:1/4
Q:1/4=180
K:D
"D"D D D|"D4"F2 G|"F#m" A3- |A2 A|"G"B2 B|"A"A2 G|
"D"F3- |F2 F|"Am"A2 A|"B7"G2 F|"Em" E3-| E2 E|"A7" G2 G|
F2 E| "D"(A3 | "D4"AB"D7"c)|| "G" d3  |"Em"c2 B |"D"A F2-|"D" F3|
"G"B3|"A"A2 G| "Bm"F D2- | D3|"Em"G3|"A7"F2 E||
"D"A3|"G"B2 G|"D"F F2|"A7"(ED)E|"D"D3-| D2  ||

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:40:55 PM by tallship »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

AirTime

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »

Very nice! Another one for the "To-do" list!
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 12:21:50 AM »

I'm so glad you like it, it really got me the first time I heard it too.  And thank you for putting up the ABC tallship (:).

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

I'm so glad you like it, it really got me the first time I heard it too.  And thank you for putting up the ABC tallship (:).

T'was easy!  ;D
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 10:10:09 PM »

As I said before, got loads of practice recently! I now have a number of carols I'm happy with; here is a festival of 30 second bits of carols so I can remember how I did them for the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTE5M0ZbAw
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »

Here's my contribution this month; I've enjoyed listening to La Chavannee's Christmas album La Fleur des Noels over the past few days (on Spotify if you haven't found it yet), and thought I'd have a shot at one of the tunes on there which I think is particularly beautiful...

Sont Trois Rois en Compagne - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2CnZ60f2A

It's played on the Bb/Eb Hohner Preciosa, in F minor (A minor on a D/G) though even that needs a couple of accidentals. I've multi-tracked it (6 tracks!), and frankly ripped off La Chavannee's arrangement - it's just such a beautiful arrangement I couldn't resist.

Happy Christmas!

Clive

(by the way, mp3 download is in my Sound Files site, see signature)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 08:37:38 PM »

?? I'm struggling to recall a time when you've been anything other positive with your posts Michael!

Did I miss a post when you were a really bad boy?  :o
I try to stay positive , I didn't want my words to be seen as negative. that's all.

Probably !!! checkout my new profile picture and you'll see why

Here's a couple of tunes for this months theme
I was just messing about trying to work in some bass where it sounds good nothing great yet!

The little drummer boy  http://youtu.be/dz9EqdoW_mA

Deck the halls  http://youtu.be/ta2B9Hb9-TA

Michael
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »

As it's that time of year, and we're having this thread again, I'll take the opportunity to wish everybody a merry Christmas and once again open up the

Wassail!

page on our web site, where you'll find some seasonal songs, a little melodeon content and a new song "Sweet Chiming Bells" from our new album released earlier this year.

Enjoy!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »

Truly beautiful!  Lovely sensitive playing.  I love the harmonies and suspensions.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  Note to self:  must look out for a Morgane!!
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »

Note to self:  must look out for a Morgane!!

Hating to stand in the way of MADness but is is only a slightly better made and drier tuned Pokerwork  ;)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »

Hating to stand in the way of MADness but is is only a slightly better made and drier tuned Pokerwork  ;)

I don't own a Pokerwork but I do have a couple of Ericas, both German - same thing apart from the shape?
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »

I don't own a Pokerwork but I do have a couple of Ericas, both German - same thing apart from the shape?

IMO the Morgane is not as nice as an Erica just the tuning is drier, this can be achieved by your local tuner

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »

IMO the Morgane is not as nice as an Erica just the tuning is drier, this can be achieved by your local tuner

Worth knowing, thanks Lester. (:)

AirTime

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »

Hating to stand in the way of MADness but is is only a slightly better made and drier tuned Pokerwork 

I'm always baffled when I hear this. Have you played a Morgane Lester? The Morgane line has larger mushroom shaped bass & treble  buttons, a smoother, quieter action, bigger, smoother bellows with high quality bellows tape, a softer, adjustable bass strap, a fancy treble grill & high quality hardware. The "natural wood" casing (verneered) also seems more solid & damage resistant. My Merlin is very significantly different to play than my Pokerworks.

As for the sound: I'm assuming that the reeds are basically the same across the Morgane/Pokerwork.Erica line, so a Pokerwork could presumably be made to sound like a Morgane. The dry-tuned Pokerworks I've heard (on Youtube) seem to sound very nice, but somewhat different from a Morgane, but I've not played a dry-tuned Pokerwork myself. To my ear, the Morgane has a distinctive sound.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:15:16 PM by AirTime »
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »

God Rest you Gerry Mentlemen  on a Theo re-tuned Hohner Club II with H reeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-8TxyZGNI&feature=youtu.be
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »

Thank you for doing this one pikey, it is one of my favourite carols (:).

Truly beautiful!  Lovely sensitive playing.  I love the harmonies and suspensions.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  Note to self:  must look out for a Morgane!!
It is not nearly as smooth as I had wanted it - am working on getting the change of bellows direction to be less noticeable (watching other players you can see they are doing this but it is so difficult to do), and I am still um-pah-ing like a trouper when this sort of tune requires something more subtle ::) - but thank you very much Les, am glad you liked it (:).

It is interesting that you like the sound of the Morgane - I was planning to get mine tuned more like a Pokerwork as I love the Morris sound - but am wondering now whether I should look out for a D/G Pokerwork so that I have both the wet and drier sounds.  And I do prefer the feel of the mushroom buttons on the Morgane.  Something to think about over Christmas...

AirTime

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2012, 04:18:44 AM »

It is not nearly as smooth as I had wanted it - am working on getting the change of bellows direction to be less noticeable (watching other players you can see they are doing this but it is so difficult to do), and I am still um-pah-ing like a trouper when this sort of tune requires something more subtle ::) - but thank you very much Les, am glad you liked it (:).

I think you're being too self-critical. It sounds pretty much perfect to me as it is!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal