Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: .  (Read 7290 times)

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
Re: Ethnic minority groups and the melodeon.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »

I cant realy comment on irish traveller music, but i know johnny doran was a famous irish traveler piper, and they have a few songs like osullivans john or the fair at balinsloe. Im half romany which is a totaly different culture, and has varios styles of music, including balkan accordion, flamenco, gypsy jazz ect. In england. As far as romany music is concernd, i suppose we take a tune, and embelish it to our style. A good example would be another of my vids cock of the north and something

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »

Marje, i just re-read your post. Did you mean for me to give you an insight in to "how to" play in the gypsy style ? Ie what sort of ornamentation ect
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:51:22 PM by gypsylad »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »

Although, as far as I am aware, he had no gypsy blood, Bob Cann was the ultimate exponent of English gypsy style melodeon. His grandson Mark Bazeley of The Dartmoor Pixie Band runs a very close second.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

Although, as far as I am aware, he had no gypsy blood, Bob Cann was the ultimate exponent of English gypsy style melodeon. His grandson Mark Bazeley of The Dartmoor Pixie Band runs a very close second.

Couldn't agree more, I played with Bob several times. The sort of music that if you didn't WANT to get up and dance to, you were probably brain dead or comatose.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »

Marje, i just re-read your post. Did you mean for me to give you an insight in to "how to" play in the gypsy style ? Ie what sort of ornamentation ect

Not really, Tommy, I was just wondering in a more general whether there was anything about the choice of tunes and the way they're played that you would identify as being particularly characteristic of gypsy music today? Or, to put it another way, anything that marks it out as different from other English music that's played in pub sessions etc? It might be to do with things like ornamentation, but it could also be the repertoire, the instruments used, the balance between songs and tunes, the length of the "sets" that are played without a pause, the emphasis (or not) on solo playing or singing - anything, really, that you feel is part of your heritage and not quite the same as what happens in the wider tradition.
Marje

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »

At the moment im right in the middle of silly season with work (i make and sell xmas wreaths) and im working 18hrs a day, so maybe, in the new year i could post something in the contribute an article thread? Also, im sure rees or simon ritchie would be better placed to give an  insight into the style, as i dont know anything differnt !

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 01:46:18 PM »

I loved the sleeve notes on one of Simon's CDs.  He says that when he sings the lyrics with the Romany words, his pronounciation makes the audience laugh out loud. 

A few years back we were in the pub a little early to shake off the hangover of the night before with Simon playing along with the Orchards - great stuff.  One of the lads tried my puny little Italian box and boy, did he go!  Sadly, Simon had to go as his band were playing for the dance, but the evening was excellent after such a warm up.

Rob.

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »

just came across this, so thought id post it up, irish traveller family, the doyles busking at appleby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNJk5km8Fv4

cheers

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »

I`ve shot Traveller

So Dido, Bendigo and Gentry did have the sense to look behind them, then?
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »

So Dido, Bendigo and Gentry did have the sense to look behind them, then?

'Appen. Countess, Rover, Bonnie (lass) and J'ovah didn't have the smarts though.  >:E
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal