Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: F. Likely box, a newly rediscovered Baldoni-Bartoli 1-row  (Read 9379 times)

pgroff

Re: F. Likely box, a newly rediscovered Baldoni-Bartoli 1-row
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »

Hi Paul Thanks I hope it was ok to put it here. Feel free to get it moved if it's more appropriate.  I had found the earlier posts and Ted was in touch a while back. Here is one more clip for those interested, Colm with Boys of Tandragree and Scatter the Mud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZmkHejGsoU&gl=US AtB mory

Hi mory,

Hah! Not my call to police thread drift, and anyway I'm the worst offender if that were even an offense. But in fact those clips you and I posted, of a fine player using an Irish-American box, are right on topic IMO. 

A lot of today's players scratch their heads over the very concept of these highly elaborated instruments.  Extra voices, exquisite decoration, the best available parts and craftsmanship invested in the playability and sound -- but only 10 melody buttons.  That's only 19 different notes in the case of the Likely box (with the duplicate low A and leaving aside the octave voicing), and nary a C natural, F natural, G#, Bb or Eb to be found.  Only 2 basses.  But for a lot of people playing Irish music today, complete chromaticism of the melody notes (and a playing style, including key modulations and equivalence of enharmonics that requires 12 tone equal temperament) would be basic requirements.  It was a different world among Irish and Irish-American box players in the 1920s.

Colm did a great job with that borrowed Superior.  Nothing incomplete about that powerful music. It's a great reminder that you have a whole musical world to explore with just one row.  The tunes I have from recordings of Mr. Sullivan (R. I. P.),  mentioned at the beginning of this thread,  though in four different keys, were all played on that one Baldoni-Bartoli 10-key box

To hear a great player with a smaller and simpler Hohner 1-row box is just as impressive and I also love that sound. In fact, the Hohner 1-row sound is a fuller sound in some ways, and the stops offer more variety in voicing than the single switch of these Baldonis. It's a marvel to me that the design of the 4-stop Hohners can achieve what they do in such a small size and so inexpensively!

PG
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:19:01 PM by pgroff »

pgroff

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »

Here's a wrecked piano accordion that I think is contemporaneous with the Likely box, sharing some of its construction details and especially some interesting details of the engraving:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,13775
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:10:03 AM by pgroff »

pgroff

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »

Reunited twins! Here's the Likely box sharing a tabletop with the McAleer box discussed in this thread:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,3998

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:09:16 AM by pgroff »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal