Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: .  (Read 14132 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: A two in one box....without the electronics.
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »

this established thread relates to being able to switch between two different keyboard systems by means of slides or couplers. i wondered if it might be possible to do something more limited.   just change one or two notes to accidentals by means of a slides.
     imagine a simple one row in key C.   If you switched the F natural for a F sharp you would have a key of G.  the next step would be to switch in the C sharp to make the key of D.  i think you get the idea .   it could be extended further!

i am sure someone will have given this some thought years ago?    have i missed something obvious?      perhaps i should have looked harder for an old thread. 
    i realise making the required reed blocks could be complicated, but the buttons would remain the same.  this is just my idle daydream, please tell me why it wont fly. brian.

The main problems in my head would be the need to learn different fingering for each key, thus doing away with the main advantage of the melodeon, and that need for a big bass end of some sort to cope with the different keys.

if you are playing in G on a one row in C  wouldn't the fingering be the same as you normally play? but now you would have the F# but I do
see that you would not have proper bass, maybe not such a big deal when playing with others.

I play a one row four stop in D and play LMM a lot or MM but also do love the full sound too. And was wondering about taking my back up box
and taking the H reed changing to M reed then change button 6 & 10 from C# to C natural maybe tuned flat so that it could be paired with the C# that is already flat on this box it is least  20 cents.  I don't know if that's to far off to do?  but would leave you with a box LMM in D and MM in G ( D row fingering)with out your bass side. I would need expert to answer and I assume that it would be pretty wet or maybe it's just Me  (:)
michael
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:31:24 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

bellowpin

• Regular debater
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »

thanks for your interesting replys .  you have given this idea more considered thought than perhaps i had.  i accept that playing in extra keys causes problems on the left end of the instrument . i am trying to sidestep that one,as it is  a topic that as been aired at length.
     the extra work on new reed blocks ,and cost ,makes this idea a novelty and not a mainstream possibility.     i was interested in boxcall`s reply as it seems very positive. he is considering trying out the principle on a spare box. i would be interested in the out come, if you go ahead.
 theo`s practical approach that if you are going to add extra reeds you might as well add extra buttons as well. this mirrors the way melodeons have developed over time. i found my thoughts following this well worn path which leads to an extra half row of notes. and then a full row,and then,,,,,?
       i did just wonder if there might be a niche in the cajan world. the authentic traditional LOOK of the one row may be all important. having extra notes secreted under the hood,ready to be switched into play,might be attractive to some.
   many thanks for your opinions.  brian.
whole life in the shropshire hills. on the slow track and enjoying it.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »

It's just an idea , I have a feeling it may not be possible to tune it that way but would like to hear from someone with tuning knowledge
if it is something that could be done. I know the reed block would need to be modified this box has 2 stand up reed blocks so room inside is not an issue.
Michael

edit: I think I just answered my own question 100cents between semitones seems like to far of a span.
 I guess I need a two row  :||:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:12:27 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 10:11:41 AM »

Tania Rutkowski has done something not dissimilar with a three row box:

http://www.tr-accordeons.com/les-modeles/les-mixtes/le-special.html

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »

My limited French may be misleading me but is that not just a C#/D/G?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »

As I understood (although my French is very far from fluent!) it has a two voice treble "Two voices which play seperately"' she says, with one reed set being c#/d/g and the other being three row unisonoric chromatic, with stops in the corner of the grille to switch between them. The left hand is Twelve chromatic, unisonoric notes.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »

Ah yes I see now.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal