Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Very English Winter: The Unthanks.  (Read 8856 times)

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
Re: A Very English Winter: The Unthanks.
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:24 AM »

You should be able to go the BBC website. EG.  bbc.co.uk. However I've just been informed that due to copyright restrictions you can't ,which seems stupid to me. I think you tube may be able to help. I suppose it's a form of revenge for having region 1 and region 2 DVD fiasco's where neither of our countries can watch each others tele or broadcasts.
Money,Money, Money.

The BBC is not allowed to offer its licence fee funded services outside of the UK. That's why you all get "BBC Worldwide" which is a subsidiary company returning profits to the BBC. They also show adverts which is something the BBC is not allowed to do in the UK.

So, whilst I generally agree with you about abuses of copyright and DVD regions etc, this is to do with the BBC charter and what the BBC is allowed to do.

... just to add ... whilst you can't get bbc.co.uk, we're not allowed onto bbc.com (there's naughty advertising and stuff on there :o )
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:11:41 AM by Andrew Wigglesworth »

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »

Greatham were on it!  A cracking long sword team, even if they are from just north of the Yorkshire border  :D
The team were Redcar Longsword (from south of the Tees in Yorkshire). They revived the Greatham tradition back in the 1960s and continue to perform the dance and play every Boxing day outside the church. Brian Pearse who was interviewed has led the team since its creation. Moira the melodeon player is one of the best box players I know and should be better known IMHO.

I thought I knew him! Was Jeff on there too

Tufty - I've spotted Jeff now, the black faced clown on the left in the interview!
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »

HEY! I'm on t'telly too! I'm playing fiddle, wearing a black and red dress and have a black face....I'm about 3' away from Steve! (in some shots)

They cut out a lot of the filming they did with us, (Ouse Washes Molly side) but I thought it was a good programme all told. When you see the rich tapestry of musical folk traditions still alive and kicking in this country it makes me a bit mad that the British media ignore it. I have NEVER seen any news reportage of the Lewes festival, and how big is that? No we just get huge coverage of the Nottinghill Carnival and umpteen cod-St Patrick Day events. Utter shame, utter shambles. No wonder, as far as the British public are concerend the English have no existing music tradition.
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

YorkieKen

• YorkieKen
  • Regular debater
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 05:40:15 PM »

. No wonder, as far as the British public are concerend the English have no existing music tradition.
[/quote]

I blame the media, well the BBC sacked Mike Harding didn't they, hardly any english traditional folk on TV. That's why I spend so much time on here, and U-Tube !  :-[
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal