Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon dreams in the Pacific Northwest [Wanted: Methode Accordeon Diatonique]  (Read 1895 times)

argonaut

Greetings to you all, and thanks for letting me take part in the forum. After considering taking up the melodeon for the past few months and doing my best to research the myriad of different key and instrument options, I finally took the plunge this week and bought an old Hohner Pokerwork in G/C. I'm still waffling over whether or not I should have bought a new Hohner Morgane in D/G which, but ultimately I found that I preferred the lower end sounds of the G/C (although I was only able to hear instruments via online video clips, considering that the melodeon is all but unknown in the are where I live.

I'm currently traveling for the holidays, and won't be able to even start in on the actual playing until this weekend, but in the meantime I've found a wealth of information here on the forum that will keep me busy reading for quite some time. I'm also going to try to get a copy of "Methode accordeon diatonique" (in English) by Pignol and Milleret in the very near future; if anyone out there has used copies of books one through three (or even just book one) that they no longer want and would like to sell, please contact me. That series goes for a pretty penny, indeed!

Here's to a fantastic holiday, and I look forward to getting to know all of you in the future.

AirTime

Welcome to Melnet!

There are lots of great tunes (many of them French) that sound great on a GC box. If you get into playing, you will probably find that you will want to pick up a box (or two or three) in another tuning anyway. In the meantime, GC is as good a place to start as any.

There is (at least) another accomplished melnetter in your neck of the woods.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)

Hi Argonaut and welcome to probably the most concentrated knowledge of Melodeons in the world.
 I can't help but I know there are hundreds of our gang who can, AND WILL.
Best of luck with your new Melodeonic career, you certainly won't regret it.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Jono

• Good talker

Hi Argonaut, I've just started on a G/C Hohner, and have the Milleret and Pignol books. They have a lot of good information in them. I'm enjoying myself and am finding the instrument to be reasonably straightforward to learn. No doubt it gets quite tricky later on but so far I'm making faster progress than I did on piano accordion. All the best with your melodeon adventures!

I've got a question for anyone reading this who has the Milleret and Pignol method. I couldn't find where to download the CDs. How do you download them?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:16:33 PM by Jono »

boscaceol

• Good talker

Hi, it's on the 1st page of the book. http://Http://www.mustradem.com/methodes.html

Enjoy :||:
GC Saltarelle, self build GC Pariselle

Jono

• Good talker

Ah, found it. Thanks for that.

argonaut

Thanks to each of you for the kind welcome. Airtime, I had indeed read that there was quite a bit of French music written for the G/C, and indeed, it was a song called "Melancholy French Waltz" (used as the soundtrack for an amazing video called Ghost Illusion Automaton which anyone who enjoys automatons and/or absinthe history should watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL-w3sQhEU&list=FLh7sU0ixQXgIrkDjgcVKZNw&index=31 ) which piqued my interest in the accordion/melodeon enough to finally give learning one a try. I'm hoping to explore learning a mix of English, Scottish, Irish, and French songs, and as you said, it seems GC is as good a place to start as any. I did entertain a BC box, but realized it was simply too specialized for what I want to do just now.

Incidentally, I live in Washington state, about 60 miles south of Seattle. From what I gathered, there is something of an accordion/melodeon community, and I'm looking forward to visiting a well-known box shop there called Petosa (although I'm making the trip for the more pragmatic reason of getting my new-to-me box serviced and tuned).

I'm glad to have the links to the downloadable cds which accompany the Milleret and Pignol books here. Now to find the books!

Jono

• Good talker

I bought my books online from The Button Box in Massachusetts USA. They were sent very promptly and I was very impressed.

The books really are fantastic in my opinion. Book 1 is a mine of information for a beginner melodeonist who wants to learn the French crossing rows method of playing, plus the regular non crossing style at the beginning. Book 1 would keep the regular learner going for quite a while - probably several months. I'm up to my first tune, 'le branle des vieux'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal