Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "GASPACHO"  (Read 3408 times)

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
"GASPACHO"
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:42:54 PM »

Whilst stuffed with food and mellowing out i decided to do a recording and I came across the brilliant Duo Montanaro Cavez on Youtube and came across this beautiful tune called Gaspacho which stuck in my head ... so i transposed it to play on on a Castagnari MORY DG melodeon and recorded it from memory ... i now realise now i've found the original professional recording again i've changed it a bit (simplified) but hey ho! .. its still a nice tune :-) I also switched in the various reed combinations as i went along for effect  :o... so here's my version and variation of GASPACHO  8)  Derek (DTN)

https://soundcloud.com/dtn-1/gaspacho
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
Re: "GASPACHO"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:26:18 AM »

Derek:  I like both your version and the original on youtube.  I am going to try to learn it also (but on mandolin).  It would fit in well as a third tune in a medley of tunes that I am working on. Thanks for posting this. I have also been enjoying your Tarantella CD also. All the best  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »

Oh I love your recording :) something about the rythm. Don't know exactly what it is you do that I like, guess I'll listen some more  (:)

And if anyone was wondering who Duo Montanaro Cavez are for those who understand French
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl_3dZkmGg8&feature=player_embedded

And if you don't speak French: here some footage of a brilliant concert in Chateau d'ars...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maiuDCiFHWw

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »

That's lovely!
Gorgeous warm texture to the sound, with variations.......
It would be nice to see what reeds/combinations are going on to make the changes in sound - something I'm not sure about on a Mory, though appreciate it's an amazing instrument when used to it's full effect.
Mental note to myself: must sit at His Master's feet and see what's going on next Sidders  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »

That's lovely!
Gorgeous warm texture to the sound, with variations.......
It would be nice to see what reeds/combinations are going on to make the changes in sound - something I'm not sure about on a Mory, though appreciate it's an amazing instrument when used to it's full effect.
Mental note to myself: must sit at His Master's feet and see what's going on next Sidders  ;)
Q

Sequence:
Bass - No thirds - No low Bass Reed / Treble - 1 m reed
Bass - No thirds - No low Bass Reed / Treble - 2 mm reeds
Bass - Thirds in  - Low Bass Reed in (full Bass) / Treble - 2 mm reeds
Bass - Thirds in  - Low Bass Reed in (full Bass) / Treble - 3 Lmm reeds (Everything on!)
Bass - Thirds in  - Low Bass Reed in (full Bass) / Treble - 1 m reed ....ENDS!

Derek

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »

Aha! tis revealed!
thanks for this.
I'm starting to get the hang of using voices, and also listening to them too, having the choices of M,MM, LMM and LM with a stop for thirds on my box. With these options I'm now starting to understand and realise what some people use.
It's bringing in the low basses +/- thirds that seem to make a difference to my ear that I didn't know what was going on. Well that's cleared that up, thanks.
It does make some lovely variations to the sound, I must admit.
cheers matey  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Keithypete.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »

Very lovely tune. Lovely sounding box.

P. S. Just listened to your "Faraway & Fish head waltz". We've played the first tune for years but never found anything that goes really well with it. I suspect we will be learning your tune DTN. It fits very nicely.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »

Absolutely brilliant! I've been wanting to learn this tune for ages but I can't transpose in my head for toffee, so this made it 100x easier, thanks for that  (:)

Do you transpose mentally or use a program?

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:45 AM »

I can do either if i hear it often enough! ... but for this one as it was totally new to me i used "Amazing Slow Downer" and it also earwormed me to pieces hence finally recording it from memory!!

Derek

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »

Thanks for this inspiration, Derek. It's got me trying to learn too, as it's such an irresistible tune.  (and irresistible player --- Sophie I mean)
I like the way that you've put a bit of English-style in-outy rhythm in... maybe that's the mystery ingredient bbudgie likes too.

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »

Folks:  Here is my attempt at decoding Gaspacho from the original video in the key of Bb (I think). My chords are probably rubbish.  I would like to make the B part of the tune more "square" than I have written it out.  I will have our flute player look at it. She usually figures out the forest from the trees. All errors are mine. All the best  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal