Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whittlesea Straw Bear Festival 2012  (Read 1368 times)

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
Whittlesea Straw Bear Festival 2012
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:00:36 AM »

Hi guys. I e-mailed the organiser of the Whittlesea Straw Bear Festival yesterday, asking whether there are any open sessions happening in and around the festival. Its only 15mins away from my humble abode and I've meant to go before but other things have always come up and the last minute. :(
    The organiser said that there are indeed sessions, so my questions to you folks are;

1.Have you been before?
2.Is it worth taking my box? Are they box-friendly sessions?
3.Are the sessions good fun and when about do they run i.e. evening/afternoon/heaven forbid the morning?

Many thanks to any people who reply!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Whittlesea Straw Bear Festival 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »

There's always some music and song in the Bricklayer's Arms. If somebody tells you the Brickies has closed, it's not true - there was a brief closure but it's re-opened. The brickies usually has songs in one room and tunes in another, but it's all a bit rowdy - fine if you like that sort of thing.

There sometimes a Saturday lunchtime English music session at the New Crown, but the locals take it over in the evening.
There's usually an Irish music session somewhere. (Letter 'B'? Falcon? in that neighbourhood anyway)
I've heard that The George (big new Wetherspoons pub in the market square) allows music, despite being contrary to the chain's usual policy.
Finding a good session can be hard. Definitely worth bringing a box with you, and you can always join in with the band playing for the Bear in the procession. If you don't know the Straw Bear tune, you soon will!

If you bump into Pig Dyke Molly (all black and white) - come and say hello - I'm the older melodeon player.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »

Will bring my box this year. Love the Straw Bear festival a real new year pick up. Will certainly stop and say hello to you and Mary.  Any chance that you and Mary will be doing any gigs around the Swindon area this year?  Cheers Pete

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »

Mary will be playing for Old Glory, but our enforced separation is only for the day ;)
As for Swindon, time we returned to the folk club there!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal