Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2013: Spirit of the Dance  (Read 12731 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Tune of the Month for January 2013: Spirit of the Dance
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:18:04 AM »

Yay! Long overdue, Spirit of the Dance has won this month's election.

Here's some ABC's

Code: [Select]
X:2
T:Spirit of the dance
M:6/8
L:1/8
R:Jig
Q:3/8=120
K:G
G2D E2D|G2D E2D|GAB cBc|ABG FED|G2D E2D|G2D E2D|GAB cde|cAF G3:|
|:DGB c3|B3 A3|ABc d2e|c2d B3|GAB c3|B3 A3|ABc B2c|B2A G3:|

and here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJfOIwDMCFM ; another (2nd tune) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-oGOAQAzk, and even, dare I suggest, this (again, 2nd tune) - www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4jkseFwC_M

Normally, in sessions, this would be played in G, It plays beautifully in both higher and lower octaves, and on one row in the higher octave.

Enjoy - looking forward to hearing your great versions!

Happy new year!

Clive

AirTime

Re: Tune of the Month for January 2013: Spirit of the Dance
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »

Clive, your Carraroe / Spirit of the Dance interpretation on the Preciosa is just haunting beautiful - one of my favourites. I'll be working on that combination ... if you don't mind! 
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

Clive, your Carraroe / Spirit of the Dance interpretation on the Preciosa is just haunting beautiful - one of my favourites. I'll be working on that combination ... if you don't mind!

Thank you - have fun! The Carraroe is one of my all time favourite tunes too; an absolute cracker that I first came across on the Old Hat Dance Band CD as I recall...

Cheers,

Clive

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »

Thank you - have fun! The Carraroe is one of my all time favourite tunes too; an absolute cracker that I first came across on the Old Hat Dance Band CD as I recall...

Cheers,

Clive

I really like your playing Clive - it's so different from anyone else on here. Such emotion and subtlety!  I love your use of reverb as well.  I particularly like The Carraroe and the way you deal with it.  Damn!  Bb/Eb - I'll see what I can do with my FR-18.  Thank you for posting.

Les
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »

Another slow version

http://youtu.be/pYnOpRGWa1Y

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

When I hear this tune, why do I suddenly think of "Aunty Mary had a canary, up the leg of her antimacassar.."  :|bl
Nicely played, Clive.

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »

http://youtu.be/LJmCbAgXqFc

Happy New Year

Bill

Andrew Shead

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »

http://youtu.be/LJmCbAgXqFc

Happy New Year

Bill

I liked your jaunty delivery of the tune, thanks.
Primo D/G Scholar.

Tunes executed: any instrument convenient as a gallows.

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »

Heres a quick run

http://youtu.be/l-26ZvWphJo

Andy
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »

Oddly, we haven't had a standard dance tempo rendition of this yet, so I thought I'd record one - here you go

http://youtu.be/j8dfH52sCpE

Played on a Hohner Pokerwork in D/G complete with Hohner percussion section!

Cheers,

Clive

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »

Not daring to hear Clive's before posting this, as otherwise might bottle out.....

Someone on youtube didn't like my "versions" of Spirit.  So, to redeem myself,  I tried to play it in a more trad way with only two chords. Shocked to find how difficult that is. So even more admiration to Ed Rennie and other traditional style players. (Of course, he uses more than two chords!).
http://youtu.be/vS-dF2ViPtc
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:34:03 AM by Jackhumphreys »

Wannabeplayer

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »

As a new player I thought I'd have a go at this, but I'm having trouble working out how the basic tune should go as everyone's versions are different!
I've tried to find the music on the internet (in note form) but the search for Spirit of the Dance just comes up with the Irish dancing show as far as I can see. Can anyone help?

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »

Hi Wannabe (if I may call you that for short).

You can get the dots by pasting the ABC code that Clive has posted above into an ABC editor.  Check out Lester's handy guide to ABC here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,abc.html.

It includes links to a couple of free ABC applications, I use ABC Navigator mostly because it's free  :|||:

Once you've got the software installed just copy'n'paste the ABC  code to generate sheet music or hear the tune played back to you.

Hope this helps... and welcome to the forum.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »

As a new player I thought I'd have a go at this, but I'm having trouble working out how the basic tune should go as everyone's versions are different!
I've tried to find the music on the internet (in note form) but the search for Spirit of the Dance just comes up with the Irish dancing show as far as I can see. Can anyone help?

One of the things you'll learn as you become more experienced is that there are as many variants of a tune as there are players, and all of them are the right version!

Welcome - enjoy, and don't be afraid to ask!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Wannabeplayer

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »

Thank you Peggy - that is so clever! I had no idea what the ABC thing was all about before. :-[

Thanks Graham. In dancing we say there are no wrong steps - only variations! And maybe in a year or two I'll be embellishing my tunes too.

Now all I need to do is learn to play the tune and find out how to post on youtube - which I'm sure my son will help with.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:45:50 PM by Wannabeplayer »

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »

Oddly, we haven't had a standard dance tempo rendition of this yet, so I thought I'd record one - here you go

http://youtu.be/j8dfH52sCpE

Played on a Hohner Pokerwork in D/G complete with Hohner percussion section!

Cheers,

Clive
Very nice! Clive
this tune in the  part A sounds a lot like cock of the north B part.
Is this a single or double jig?

Cheers,
Michael
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »

Very nice! Clive

Well yes. This is one of those tunes that sounds like bits of several well known tunes grafted together. I can't figure out where I know the first bit of the B part from (and it really, really does sound familiar!) but it finishes off with a bit from 'Beaux of London City (Adderbury)' - aka: 'Beaux Adderbury' and 'Adderbury Shooting'. That strange mish-mash of tunes it what put me off this tune from the start although Clive does a remarkably good job of making it much more palatable.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »

Very nice! Clive
Is this a single or double jig?

Cheers,
Michael

Cheers! Erm, single jig, double jig... don't know! From a quick google of the session.org, I think it's probably a double jig. My bass technique for playing jigs may well confuse that definition a little though :-)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 05:36:50 AM »

I may be wrong, but I've always thought of the single/double jig distinction as an Irish way of looking at the tunes; I tend to think of English tunes in 6/8 as either just plain jigs or as 2-steps.  Maybe it's just me.........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

langleymick

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:31 PM »

I've had a go at this on my one row, some of the other versions sound like bebop compared with my humble offering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEkDpPWJZ8
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal