Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chanson  (Read 94476 times)

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
Re: Chanson
« Reply #520 on: December 27, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »

I now have a bag go the little devils and two years in it is still holding. SO luck of the tempering?  ???

I've never had this problem with a toy button box like the ever-popular Chanson (generally called a Schilling or a First Act over here) but I have had several springs break on each of the three Hero toys I have owned. These all had the little levers in place of real buttons, as shown in the link Lyra provided. Maybe it was something in the way I played it.

TBV
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:16:49 AM by The Blues Viking »

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
« Reply #521 on: February 09, 2014, 04:12:48 AM »

Interesting thing on Ebay...it appears to be a variation on the ubiquitous 7 button/2 bass (w/air button) Chanson (or Schilling or Hero or First Act or whatever), but built in a "concertina"-esque hexagonal shape. Thought someone might be interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/accordians-woodstock-accordian-squeezebox-/161219774676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25897288d4

TBV

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #522 on: February 09, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »

Hmmm. About 28 quid, far too expensive, plus no shipping to UK
Wonder if it could play Men of Harlech?  :||: >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #523 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »

It looks dreadful. Neither nowt nor summat, as my relatives from Hull might say.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #524 on: February 09, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »

It looks dreadful. Neither nowt nor summat, as my relatives from Hull might say.

Where's Hull?  Hell, or Halifax for that matter? One assumes it's near Chansonville  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #525 on: February 09, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »

Nick, you don't need to know. It's even further north than Derby, far too far to gallop at your age.  I don't think that even a very very big wave will take you that far. (PS Is Swanage still there? Not five miles inland by this morning?)
Although I understand there is a long established delivery service for returns.

Anyway, they're a bit confused up there. They've put the coast on the wrong side, you'd be quite disoriented and end up walking sideways all the time.

As for the box, it's got close to the right number of buttons, and is about the right colour, but it doesn't take much concerted scholerly examination to spot that it's an imposter. Heck, I say, in fact several times, as the wise old saying goes, you just can't fit a six sided object into an oblong gig bag.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #526 on: February 09, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »

Several beach huts here in Swanage have been Chansonised, eg. Rubbished.  :-* :'(

Lyra

« Reply #527 on: February 09, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »

One good thing about being on the last islands before you fall off the planet is that good old NZ post have set up warehouses in the UK and US so we can have local shipping addresses. Since they charge on volumetric weight and repack everything to make it smaller I'd not  want to trust anything truly melodeony to their tender care, but it's great for squishy stuff (and chansons).

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #528 on: February 10, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »

@malcolmbegg Heck is, in fact only a few miles West of Hull, although I have, in the past, been given to understand that it is where Americans go when they die.  >:E  :|bl  ;)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
« Reply #529 on: February 11, 2014, 02:50:07 AM »

All this talk about Hell...I know precisely where it is. It's in Michigan, north of Ann Arbor.

TBV

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #530 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »

Touche! (Sorry, my Kindle won't do accents.)  :||:  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #531 on: February 12, 2014, 01:39:49 AM »

;D ;D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #532 on: December 03, 2015, 12:29:07 PM »

So I received an email from Brian which was titled Is this Daft?  (:)

He had bought a Chanson locally and could I convert it to Bb from C. It turned out to be about the most playable Chanson I have ever met and even after tip loading the existing reed set to convert it to Bb it still remained so. Had to add two Hohner reeds to allow for a second button start but all the rest are as it left China plus a vist from the soldering iron gnome.

https://youtu.be/1gYLs6nREd4

911377brian

« Reply #533 on: December 03, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »

The Chanson thread resuscitated! It lives Igor, it lives ! >:E

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #534 on: December 03, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »

For the Record - I`ve still got my all-wood blue one Brian .. Whether it counts as "A Box" is another matter - still almost in tune but also still running on the standard bellows and reeds (bellows de-leaked as much as poss) , I`m amazed its lasted 3 years .

I wish mine was 2nd button start, the high notes are pretty useless anyway
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:44:01 PM by Adam-T »
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

911377brian

« Reply #535 on: December 03, 2015, 06:53:19 PM »

I have a strange urge to find another one for a fiver max and get it G tuned to go with my C and D Chansons. I doubled the size of the bellows on those which in retrospect was not necessary ....

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #536 on: December 04, 2015, 12:32:12 AM »

NURSE  he's put out of bed again...........

Edited for missspellinng  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:04:07 AM by Broadland Boy »
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #537 on: December 04, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »

I have a strange urge to find another one for a fiver max and get it G tuned to go with my C and D Chansons. I doubled the size of the bellows on those which in retrospect was not necessary ....

you`ll need triple bellows for a "normal" G (octave lower than a DG box) if the HA114 is anything to go by ..... I`d make it a high G

Are there *still* wooden chansons kicking about for a Fiver (£10 to the door) ?
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

911377brian

« Reply #538 on: December 04, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »

Not many I think Adam,but being a gentleman of leisure I'm always ferreting about the charity shops and markets .....

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #539 on: December 04, 2015, 11:11:24 PM »

I've had a few old "mother of toilet seat" covered wooden ones, with external anodized aluminium pallets which I have played occasionally over the last ten years. They are all third button start in the key of C. Recently, my wife found on at a thrift store. This one is made of plastic, with a recessed button keyboard/covered pallet treble end. It is a first button start, key of C. I thought about duct taping one of the old ones on top of the newer one which would give me a somewhat redundant, two row with nine, instead of seven different buttons.Today, I went out in the front yard and played the new one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UuCeXiMQCo
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal