Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I tend to play the 2nd octave ?  (Read 3112 times)

mac

I tend to play the 2nd octave ?
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »

note 6 and upwards most of the time, is this a bad habit?
I think it comes from playing anglo concertina years ago  and that the lower notes are on the left hand on that instrument.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: I tend to play the 2nd octave ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:41:05 PM »

Depends on the key of your instrument. If you play D/G it will be a bit squeaky especially on the G Row. But for G/C it is the normal playing position. I learned on a 1 Row so the 2nd octave was my "normal" playing position which I had to relearn when moving to 2 row (D/G)

mac

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »

Depends on the key of your instrument. If you play D/G it will be a bit squeaky especially on the G Row. But for G/C it is the normal playing position. I learned on a 1 Row so the 2nd octave was my "normal" playing position which I had to relearn when moving to 2 row (D/G)

I am playing a one row in G.. hmm..

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »

Makes sense, it is an octave below the G row of a DG.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »

I am playing a one row in G.. hmm..

That's where I started and in the second octave, good luck  (:)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »

Frédéric Paris plays in the second octave.  AFAIK Andy Cutting's 'Flatworld' plays there (that's where i play it). So don't worry. The D/G is horribly squeaky up there - but we Brits are the outliers playing the low end. As Lester says, the rest of the world play in the middle of the instrument.
  _       _    _      _ 

911377brian

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »

Do'nt think anything sounds squeeky on a one row in G does it? Lovely key to play in..

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »

Do'nt think anything sounds squeeky on a one row in G does it?

No - but it can be a challenge to keep the air supply constant (at least it is on my well-worn old Hohner).  :||:
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

911377brian

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »

@ GPS.. I find keeping the air supply constant more difficult on my A box,[Hohner 1040] but Microbot seems to have worked his magic on the G [Hohner 1040]...

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 06:24:41 AM »

@ GPS.. I find keeping the air supply constant more difficult on my A box,[Hohner 1040] but Microbot seems to have worked his magic on the G [Hohner 1040]...

I've got an ancient C 1040 which is scheduled for some rebuilding, and the air management on that is not too bad despite the extensive wear on the poor old thing; my air-hungry G 1-row is a 4-voice 1140, which for some reason best known to Hohner has a 16-fold bellows as opposed to the 18-fold one on my C 1140.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »

Yup. I play G/C most often but make a conscious effort to play tunes in both octaves (cross-row and one-row style) just to be in shape on other tunings, like my C/Fs.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »

I often play alternately on the low and high octaves, especially when in "D". My 4th button start with no accidentals gives me a full octave under the 4th button in both D and G, so I can often "drone" along under the other instruments, but join them at other times in the tune.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

mac

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »

Ah its good to know I am not alone in playing this way then.!

george garside

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »

if there are two octaves available its daft not to   be able to play in  both of them   irrespective of number of rows or whether cross rowing or on rowing

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

mac

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »

if there are two octaves available its daft not to   be able to play in  both of them   irrespective of number of rows or whether cross rowing or on rowing

george

Yes it is so, but my hand and hearing tells me "play higher up!" :D
The first octave just doesn't feel as comfortable to play in. ??? I don't know why maybe its just me?

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:22:14 AM »

Personally, I prefer the lower octave. On my D/G and B/C I just feel the bass end compliments it better.  8)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »

Just for clarity's sake as there seems to me to be some confusion here:

1 Rows, especially those in G, are 'usually' played in the second octave as they lack the notes, in the lower octave, usually picked from the outside row (low D and E on a D/G) which are necessary for many tunes. Also, as noted by Theo, the G 1 row as it is pitched an octave lower than the G row on a D/G so, with the L reed sounding a further octave down, it is very low and air hungry in the 1st octave.

So it is 'usual' to play 1 rows in the second octave, D/Gs in the first octave. But you you should still be able to play either in both.

Hope that helps

george garside

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »

. But you you should still be able to play either in both.

Hope that helps

thats what I was getting at  . On some tunes on a standard 21 button Dg there are insufficient low notes to play eg the B part of a tune  ( e.g Oh   dem golden slippers)  if one is fluent over the whole length of the box it is easy to nip up to the higher octave for the B part.  Also jumping up to the higher octave for the B part of some tunes can sound very effective even if the whole job could be done at the lower end.     

another effect to be had is to play selected   alternate bars high and low   eg in winster gallop  the first 2 bars of the B part can be played low middle or high  so a nice effect can be had by playing the 1st bar (B part) as normal  and the 2nd bar low OR high

There are of course some who can play in both octaves but don't realise they are so doing  as the tune spans both eg soldiers joy!
george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

mac

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

1 Rows, especially those in G, are 'usually' played in the second octave as they lack the notes, in the lower octave, usually picked from the outside row (low D and E on a D/G) which are necessary for many tunes. Also, as noted by Theo, the G 1 row as it is pitched an octave lower than the G row on a D/G so, with the L reed sounding a further octave down, it is very low and air hungry in the 1st octave.

So it is 'usual' to play 1 rows in the second octave, D/Gs in the first octave. But you you should still be able to play either in both.

Hope that helps

Clears it up nicely for me.. I did go looking for those low E notes when I first got my melodeon, just to find they were only there higher up. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal