Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morris Rules  (Read 5012 times)

911377brian

Morris Rules
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »

Listening to Radio 4's Book Club last Sunday I was intrigued to hear that British double agent Eddie Chapman's first German handler, who was educated in England, was completely besotted with Morris Dancing and considered it to be the root of European culture.Having once belonged to Okendon Morris I have my doubts about the 'culture' bit, but I can say they were West Devons answer to a Panzer division. :M

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Morris Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »

Yes I heard it too.
They also said he wore a monacle at *all* times, taught morris to the Wermacht ..... and was completely and utterly Barking Mad.
.....but obviously had good taste  ;D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

911377brian

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »

Hi Thrupence, I think the guy who wore the monacle was an English interogator called 'Tin Eye', the rest is right tho.....

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »

Yes I heard it too.
They also said he wore a monacle at *all* times, taught morris to the Wermacht ..... and was completely and utterly Barking Mad.
Q

Oh! God.
 They never let me join Barking Mad Morris.
I think the tradition came from Nutswold, Evilsham or  Horst Wessel tribute mollies. Never to be heard of again.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »

ahhhh yes Brian, thanks for the correction. Was concentrating on driving home at the time anddid get confused as to who was who at that point.
I turned on at the end of the programme and wished I'd heard it all, twas fascinating stuff.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

911377brian

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »

:|blSorry Theo, point taken... :|bl

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »

Yes I heard it too.
Q

Oh! God.
I think the tradition came from Nutswold, Evilsham or  Horst Wessel tribute mollies. Never to be heard of again.

lol!

I now have nightmares of jack booted hordes advancing towards the British tommies led by hanky waving SS platoons, aggressively hooklegging and throwing potato masher grenades, backed by an orchestra of Hohner liliputs playing the horst wessel lied in strict tempo.......
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »

Yes I heard it too.
Q

Oh! God.

lol!

I now have nightmares of jack booted hordes advancing towards the British tommies led by hanky waving SS platoons, aggressively hooklegging and throwing potato masher grenades, backed by an orchestra of Hohner liliputs playing the horst wessel lied in strict tempo.......
Wouldn't be a problem since they'd probably stop half-way across no man's land for the grenade-clashing chorus  :M
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »

Yes I heard it too.
Q

Oh! God.

lol!

Wouldn't be a problem since they'd probably stop half-way across no man's land for the grenade-clashing chorus  :M
Reminds me of Pomfret.....   ;)
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

My morris side spent a happy half a day being filmed for the Agent Zig Zag BBC documentary last year. It all ended on the cutting room floor  :(

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »

You must have been VERY good then! It's a sort of back=handed complement from the Beeb to be cut out.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »

My morris side spent a happy half a day being filmed for the Agent Zig Zag BBC documentary last year. It all ended on the cutting room floor  :(

Wasn't that a radio programme?   ;D >:E
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »

It was actually called DOUBLE AGENT: The Eddie Chapman Story on BBC 2. Mind you I have done morris for the radio, two of us me on box and a chum with a bellpad for the dancers.  (:)

Graham Spencer

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »

It was actually called DOUBLE AGENT: The Eddie Chapman Story on BBC 2. Mind you I have done morris for the radio, two of us me on box and a chum with a bellpad for the dancers.  (:)

I stand corrected; I listened to "Agent ZigZag" on Radio 4 Extra a week or two back - must be an anniversary or summat.  I've done radio morris too, on CyBC2 (Cyprus national radio) under pretty much the same circumstances. Only handkerchief dances, though.......... ;)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »

The Slightly Notorious Ebor Morris have appeared on film/TV three times in their 40 years:

- on Play School (through the ROUND window.....) about 1974

- on the Eurovision Song Contest in 1982
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boo77jky-sQ  (jump to 5:58)

- on a travel film played in all the UK cinemas about 1983

Plus several radio appearances, most notably in 1984 on May morning (but recorded several days before in the evening, with sounds effects of milk bottles clanking together and a pretend milkman saying 'good morning'....)   :D

No jack boots though (at least, not in public......)   ;)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »

Graham Spencer

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 06:28:49 PM »

The Slightly Notorious Ebor Morris have appeared on film/TV three times in their 40 years:

- on Play School (through the ROUND window.....) about 1974

- on the Eurovision Song Contest in 1982
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boo77jky-sQ  (jump to 5:58)

- on a travel film played in all the UK cinemas about 1983

Plus several radio appearances, most notably in 1984 on May morning (but recorded several days before in the evening, with sounds effects of milk bottles clanking together and a pretend milkman saying 'good morning'....)   :D

No jack boots though (at least, not in public......)   ;)

Now Cyprus Morris can beat that; we've just passed our 4th anniversary and have appeared in "magazine" programmes on national TV in Cyprus 6 or 7 times.  Of course, we do have novelty value, and we are stuck out way in the north-east corner of the Mediterranean on an island whose total population is about a quarter of the West Midlands connurbation........

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »

That's nothing. Radio Solent did a slide show of Sidmouth Folk Festival in the 70's. A SLIDE SHOW? On radio? Oh yes they did.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal