Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pad material  (Read 2609 times)

squeezebox63

pad material
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »

Looking for a source for padding leather, preferably 1/16 " self adhesive. I'm in the states.
Got some from frm enterprises in canada at one time but have"nt been able to contact them.
I'm open to suggestions. I repair and sell melodeons and accordions on a small scale, and would like to purchase wholesale. in u.s.a. if possible.
Cliff.

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
Re: pad material
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »

Looking for a source for padding leather, preferably 1/16 " self adhesive. I'm in the states. 

Cliff, you may want to contact John Castiglione at Castiglione, near Detroit.  I don't have direct contact info but a Google will turn it up.  I am not sure if he supplies wholesale but he usually has repair materials.
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »

I'd be wary of self adhesive!  Someone in Europe produced self adhesive  reed valves/skins a few years back,  they last a few years and then gradually fall off!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

finnhorse

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:40:14 PM »

I re-padded the Concertone (Koch) junker that I bought on Ebay and used a few square feet of buffed leather from a craft store.  They had it on rolls like fabric.  Super tack worked fine gluing it to felt and metal.  If you need it in large quantities couldn't you contact a leather goods store?  A proprietor might be willing to order extra for you for a fee.  That'd save you from needing a wholesale license.

squeezebox63

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »

I know what you are saying theo, but the self stick I got from frm was great. When applied, you could hardly remove it. very sticky.
I've tried the leather and glue bit. and the leather with a foam backing which will over a long length of time  also deteriorate.{ thats the problem with a 120 bass atlantic deluxe hohner that I'm doing now.
The foam turns to almost a powder, and the leather falls off.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »

I know what you are saying theo, but the self stick I got from firm was great. When applied, you could hardly remove it. very sticky.
I've tried the leather and glue bit. and the leather with a foam backing which will over a long length of time  also deteriorate.{ thats the problem with a 120 bass atlantic deluxe hohner that I'm doing now.
The foam turns to almost a powder, and the leather falls off.

Yes I've seen that foam material that turns to powder.  Another reason why I always stay with tried and tested materials.  Leather, felt, hide glue have all stood the test of time.  I use pva glue for attaching leather and felt.  Its been around long enough to be relied on in the long term.  On the other hand there are plenty of self adhesive products that start off well but turn into a horrible sticky mess after a few years. I'll not risk using them thank you.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 12:50:34 AM »

I seem to remember someone somewhere on this forum recomending copydex due to it's rubber like properties and ability to peel off later on.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal