Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning CG - tips sought complete novice  (Read 7140 times)

Grape Ape

Re: Learning CG - tips sought complete novice
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »

You asked a couple of posts ago about learning by ear which has thus far been my only option.  I found helpful videos on YouTube to do this, simply type in g c and see what comes up.  I found Valse Triste to be fairly easy, moved on to Valse isralienne a bit tougher but very satisfying to learn, taught myself Amsterdam ( an old favorite) and Valse D'Amelie (forever a work in progress) as well as a couple of others.  Be ready to pause and rewind a lot, but it has worked for me. A guy named Hector AWOL has about a thousand tunes on YouTube, but he plays fast and furious so I would often use him to find a tune I liked and then find someone else who played it slower. That said, I really wish there was a teacher in Ohio to help me progress further.....

Frank

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »

Also recommend the M-P series.

As many people love it as have tried it and been frustrated or given up or completed it, so you may find a used copy here on melnet.  Get the CD's too.

A friendly member sold me my copy at a good price.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »

Here you go. . . http://www.accordeondiatonique.fr/cours-1-debuter-accordeon-diatonique/

I've just stumbled  on this website. I haven't read it all but it appears to be a 'Learn along with a Breton complete novice' Blog that might well be helpful.

Ricardo Santos Rocha

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »

Hi there, I have just received my lovely CG melodeon, and wonder if there is anyone who can help me learn how to play it!
Does anyone have any tips for finding good learning aids for the CG?  Is using a DG tutorial book just going to confuse me?
I have seen that there is a tutorial book:
"Stéphane Milleret & Norbert Pignol - methode accordeon diatonique" if you know where I can get one in the UK please let me know.
Any tips for getting started appreciated as I can make nice sounds including playing scales, but would like to progress to tunes!
 Your experienced ideas for getting going from here appreciated

Joivie

I don't know if meanwhile you managed to get the Milleret & Pignol methode, but i' ve seen it recently at Hobgoblin's in Birmingham.

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »

List of learning videos (not for beginners, but they are fine the get an idea of CG playing)

http://www.mustradem.com/Formation/diato.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPjhFHDMJc
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 02:19:33 AM »

That second rhythm video exaggerates a bit (as the end, more legato piece shows) but is really excellent. I've long felt that new players should get the rhythm side right and come into the instrument through its natural chordal basis.

Of course most of us, including yours truly, we're desperate to play a tune  ::) This commonly sets up right hand patterns of play with wrong row/direction issues that have to be unlearned as we struggle to "bring in" the left end. 
  _       _    _      _ 

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

List of learning videos (not for beginners, but they are fine the get an idea of CG playing)
Thanks for that .. makes me want a GC but I will resist.   I wish my French was better but I think I can get the gist.
Tony S

joivie

Re: Learning CG - tips sought complete novice - Update!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »

Hi there,
Thanks to everyone who has given some great feedback for learning the C/G. I feel like I am now just recovering from New Melodeon Stress Syndrome,  (hopefully  ;)

ATTENTION to would-be melodeon players, who are trying to get their head round the rather confusing information about melodeons. This is what happened to me :  I was happily making nice sounding tunes playing without any music on my new melodeon, then decided that I ought to try and learn to play, so tried at learning by ear. My ears flap like an elephant, and the tones don't find any correspondence with my fingers or the buttons, so instead of giving-up I opted for learning in a more structured way.  To this end I bought the Pignol & Milleret book, and have found it very good so far (early days still).  Then I ventured to try to play a notated tune, and then everything went haywire,  sounded terrible, couldn't work out what  I was doing wrong - it says the 5th button pull on the C row, why does it sound all wrong.......swearwords and whatever else ..... It simply did not work..... Now I thought maybe despite my love of the sound of the melodeon I am not cut out to be a melodeon player. A depressing day or two passed.

I gave it a go again, and was at this point, that I realised something was SERIOUSLY WRONG and it may not be only with me. I asked a violinistfriend to check the notes and they sounded nothing like the arrangement of a standard CG. So I assumed that the instrument was wrongly tuned, and sent it back. Eventually the guys looked at it and informed me that it was tuned for the C or G to start on the FOURTH button.  Now any hardy melodeon player will know about these kind of quirks common to the folk world, but it can be a devastating blow to a beginner to be making so many mistakes, sounding awful some of the time, and not knowing why. So ADVICE TO THE BEGINNERS of CG - Make sure you get a categorical statement when you buy your melodeon as to where the C or G starts. On most melodeons, it is the 3rd button so that would be best. I am keeping the one which starts on the 4th button, but this means I have to disregard the top button in most notations to count down the buttons to know which button to press.
Well folks - hope this is of help to someone!!!
Joivie

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »

Sage words Joivie.

I play both 3rd and 4th button start boxes and have now taken to playing a quick octave run when I pick up a box to quickly accustom my fingers/brain to the box.

ps I the melodeon world we call them G/C melodeons as we name the boxes by outside/inside rows.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:06:40 PM by Lester »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal