Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Im writing an essay for college about english traditions and customs  (Read 6923 times)

Waltham

• Regular debater
Re: Im writing an essay for college about english traditions and customs
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

I don't know about where you live but round these parts The Green Man is a deeply embedded part of everyday life.  All children are taught to recognise and respect him by the time they're old enough to leave the house unaccompanied if not before.  And the message of the Green Man is taught in schools, often by other community figures who come into the school to talk to the children about his meaning.  Admittedly the symbolism of the modern day Green Man has changed somewhat and any putative connections with fertility and rebirth have been well and truly lost, so that nowadays his message is less "The Earth is reborn" and more "Don't try to cross the road when I'm flashing".

Right, I'm off to see if my students have had this much help with their homework and whether they've declared it (hint: lecturers know about the internet.)

Matthew B

Re: Im writing an essay for college about english traditions and customs
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

Right, I'm off to see if my students have had this much help with their homework and whether they've declared it (hint: lecturers know about the internet.)

Though possibly by referencing this lively discussion, and Melnet itself, Jake may be able to link folk traditions, some modern experience, and the work of contemporary artists.  All the various flavors of musicians and performers (professional, semi-professional, hemi-semi professional . . . amateur) commenting and contributing here constitute the contemporary.  The tradition(s), however defined, are what we're participating in, and propagating, and that's the historical part of the thing.  And the medium, mostly typing, is a 21st century equivalent of an oral tradition.  As for using the internet . . . well, he's not just cutting and pasting chunks of Wikipedia, which I think is the more common problem. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal