Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Value of pre war Hohners  (Read 7174 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: Value of pre war Hohners
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »

We only want bona Hohner owners

Hello, I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy - what brings you trollin' in here........?   ;D ;D ;D

(Apologies to non-UK members, who will have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about!)

Graham

Unfortunately, I do. Sunday mornings will never the same " ooh, went to the cottage last weekend, oh yes I love cottaging" and the BBC hasn't a clue what was going on. Not a Melodeon in sight, ducky.
Yeah! Bonar! Sorry meant Hohner
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 08:01:31 AM »

Hello, I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy - what brings you trollin' in here........?   ;D ;D ;D

(Apologies to non-UK members, who will have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about!)

Graham

How bona to varda your dolly old eek!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 08:13:20 AM »

Ooh! Isn't he bold!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:15 AM »

Without having at the time the slightest ;D expectation of opening the floodgates, I must admit that the choice of phrase was not entirely unconnected with a particular radio programme.  ;D
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »

Without having at the time the slightest ;D expectation of opening the floodgates, I must admit that the choice of phrase was not entirely unconnected with a particular radio programme.  ;D

Arh, remember it well, midday on Sunday, Around the Hohner with Kenneth Hohner followed closely by The Jimmy Treblerowe show. Then if you were lucky, an interview with Bonar Law or Gilbert Handy.
  Apologies to our foreign Bretheren. Who will wonder what the hell I'm on about.
In the evening on tele "the Black and White Melodeon show" Couldn't get away with that nowadays .
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »

Arh, remember it well, midday on Sunday, Around the Hohner with Kenneth Hohner

That would be after the Billy Cairdin Band Show?
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

dunlustin

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »

While being a Hohner enthusiast (1930s club and a modern Merlin) I'd like to put in a word for the modern box market.
When starting out I had to look up the difference between melodeon and concertina, couldn't work out how Louis Killen played so fast and still had time to suck'n'blow and the choice was Hohner, Bell. P or V Soprani and nobody could tell you the difference. Price-wise Hohners seem about the same. Difference is you can get them tuned nowadays and you can choose wet/dry/damp/just a bit moist etc
Another plus is the range of high end boxes out there (Castelfidardo) and the many independent French makers who are very innovative and competitively priced. Given that in the late 70s the melodeon (2-row) in France was more a political statement than a musical instrument, they have come a very long way.

Access to melodeon music and learning materials is better than it has ever been not least with Youtube etc. And people can play better and are much more inquisitive.
On the subject of Roland V-accordions - I don't reckon Stratocasters will ever catch on.
 Finally, as for using steel instead of brass for accordion reeds well... but I don't suppose brass will ever make a comeback either.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal