Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for February 2013: In Continental Mood  (Read 26638 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Tune of the Month for February 2013: In Continental Mood
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »

Either that or have the first button modified to play E on draw instead of D.  Seems a bit drastic for just one tune, and you still won't have the E♭.  Also the chord sequence is quite an integral part of this tune.   If you only have a one row box then a possible solution would be to work as a duet with a chord based instrument eg  guitar or piano, they can then do all the chords including the B that will fill in the missing E♭, and you can just be creative to work around the missing low E.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

Here's my go at Andy Cutting's great tune - I learned it in D (on my D/G/Acc box), because a violinist friend had it written out in that key, and it was only after I'd learnt it that I realised I was unlikely to be able to play it in that key with any other box players!

https://soundcloud.com/chrisbrimley/in-continental-mood

911377brian

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

Thanks Theo, I think I'll enjoy other people playing it and just accept  that you can't do everything on a one row. I wait with interest to see which tune wins March's TOTM [Play up Pompey...?] ;) :||:

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

Chris,
I like your soundcloud version.
It's interesting to note that there are a couple of the videos of this tune where the 'B' part of the tune has been doubled.  I think that probably makes too many bars....but I am not an expert at that stuff. Correct me if I am wrong.
Roland

Chris Brimley

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »

Not a patch on yours, though Roland! 

I see what you mean about the two lots of B music, though - the music I was given certainly has it as 48 bars with the B part repeated, but I notice you're right that both the original and yours have 32.  And I also notice that the music I have is very much the bare bones of the tune, and Andy uses many more notes.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »

Here's my attempt at this month's tune. Since it seems almost de rigeur to play it along with Flatworld, I thought I'd have a go at that too. Having got as far as once through the second tune it was tempting fate to try and play it again without tons of mistakes ocurring so I left it at that. As it is, this pair is probably somthing like take number 50. I always like to have a go at the TOTM if possible but these tunes took me WAY out of my comfort zone. I was surprised ICM was picked and it showed me just how far away I am from some of the better players round here. I've not had to practice as hard for any previous TOTM that I've recorded. Thanks to Sandy, whose version I used to try and get the tunes somewhere near. She manages to get better sounding basses despite playing it on an 8 bass box too! My version's played on my Saltarelle Pastourelle III.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWAX9LlxzGQ

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »

Hello. I am a new member who is transferring to the melodeon (still yet to acquire one - but have one on hire - I won't say whom from in case they are inundated with requests). I have really been interested in this tune of the month (In a Continental Mood). Not having playing skills yet, I thought I'd contribute something else: an analysis of why I think this tune works so well. The youtube link is not meant to be a definitive analysis, just thoughts based on some previous experience of analysing set works as a teacher. I would expect those who dislike such scrutiny(because it takes the magic out of music) to avoid clicking on the link.  Also apologies for strange background noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV9U5CqeXYg
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »

Hello. I am a new member who is transferring to the melodeon (still yet to acquire one - but have one on hire - I won't say whom from in case they are inundated with requests). I have really been interested in this tune of the month (In a Continental Mood). Not having playing skills yet, I thought I'd contribute something else: an analysis of why I think this tune works so well. The youtube link is not meant to be a definitive analysis, just thoughts based on some previous experience of analysing set works as a teacher. I would expect those who dislike such scrutiny(because it takes the magic out of music) to avoid clicking on the link.  Also apologies for strange background noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV9U5CqeXYg

Your video is private  :(

playandteach

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »

Sorry - thought if I supplied the link, then private was ok. It is public now.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

Interesting stuff.   Transposing it to C makes it harder to follow your ideas for those of us who have to think hard to transpose your discussion back to the original G!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

playandteach

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »

Ah yes. Didn't give that a thought. Clearly not thinking like a melodeon player yet. If there was enough interest I'd re-record the upload in G. Somehow I think it'll stay something that only few might dip into, though.
Pete

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »

I think I got most of what you were saying.   It would be just right for anyone playing on a GC.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Roger Howard

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »

I think I got most of what you were saying.   It would be just right for anyone playing on a GC.

I'd echo the first remark, and then say that is just right for this G/C player. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

Many thanks to playandteach for a really interesting analysis ... Might this be the start of an occasional series, I wonder?

Welcome to the forum!

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/charles-hunt-1/01-in-a-continental-mood

As someone already stated, this recording is not getting any better (and the month is almost up). My attempt at this tune on a Cairdin Mini BC and mandolins.  Constructive criticism gratefully accepted.  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 09:25:41 PM »

As someone already stated, this recording is not getting any better (and the month is almost up). My attempt at this tune on a Cairdin Mini BC and mandolins.  Constructive criticism gratefully accepted.  Charlie

What's not to like about that  (:)

Nicely played.

chouston14

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 02:25:13 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBixXLlEYDE
My attempt at this lovely tune. I certainly have a ways to go but I couldn't play it at all at the beginning of the month.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:43:31 AM by chouston14 »
Beltuna Sara 3 G/C

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »

I loved the mandolin counter-melody Charlie - great work.

playandteach

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »

Just a last thought on the construction of this tune; I've noticed that on the page (in other words you wouldn't think this from listening to the very flexible style of singing) that Jacques Briel's 'Ne me quitte' pas has the same rhythmic construction, including the repeated notes on the first and second beats (to the words 'pas, ne me'). it might be something to do with the relative unimportance of the words that they don't warrant a new pitch, unlike the the word 'quitte'.
Because of the title 'In a Continental Mood' I wonder if there is any conscious hommage paid. Great tune.

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »

Is it just me, but does the  Jacques Briel's 'Ne me quitte' pas sound like 'I did it my way' ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMDX2sR27U&list=PL651E5DA06888A1E4&index=8

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »

Well done everyone; that's a challenging tune - one of the hardest we've done I would say. Late submissions are welcome as ever  - just stick them on the end here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal