Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Friendly sessions  (Read 4676 times)

Jono

• Good talker
Re: Friendly sessions
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15:06 AM »

Do you have to drink in a session, eg. grog, or can you get away with quietly sipping an orange juice every now and then? I suppose people might think it's got vodka in it.

deltasalmon

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »

Do you have to drink in a session, eg. grog, or can you get away with quietly sipping an orange juice every now and then? I suppose people might think it's got vodka in it.
One of the sessions I play at is at a cafe. Couldn't drink any grog there even if you wanted.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 01:21:19 AM »

Whatever is on offer, I can't think why anyone would object to someone drinking orange juice or anything else that might be on sale. If it's a tea shop, drink tea.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 05:46:19 AM »

I have enjoyed reading the comments on this thread, all really make the same point...as a newcomer you should expect to be made welcome BUT don't try to impress by playing flash tunes that nobody else knows, or sit twiddling your thumbs in the corner. The success of a good session is when every one participating gets a 'go' and feels part of it. More experienced players should encourage novices rather than freezing them out. At the end of the session all should leave happy and looking forward to the next one....there is no better adrenalin high than a good sesh! IMO  ;D
Oh....a final word of warning, don't turn up at an Irish session with a Tuba or a Hurdy Gurdy lol  :|glug

So that's where I'm going wrong  >:E
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 05:47:33 AM »

Kings Arms at Zeal - lovely pub. Mark Bazeley - lovely man and a humble but brilliant melodeonist.
Jump right in.  (:)

Agree ! Wish I lived closer
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

911377brian

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »

Pretty well got to go to the Kings Arms session after all the affirmative comments..just realised that the Mark Bazeley a lot of you you have mentioned is the late Bob Cann's grandson. I have'nt heard him play since he was about 15 and playing with his grandad...

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »

In my experience things work out but don't forget that the "leader" who "runs" the session is often not the person who is nominally in charge. This has good and bad moments.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »

There are bad leaders.

There are bad leaders

Then there are the Ego's  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »

EgoTastic!!  >:E

How's the van der aa ?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:18:51 AM by pikey »

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »

"music is all about ..."

... different things to different people.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Spectacled Warbler

• Good talker
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »

Then there was the session in Harrogate where they have a booklet of tunes. On my only visit, when I played anything that wasn't in their booklet, it was met with stony silence.

In defence of the Harrogate session, my experience has been exactly the opposite.   I've been going for a few weeks and have been made more than welcome, some regulars have made a point of introducing themselves to me and although I deliberately don't lead many tunes as I'm a newbie there, I make a point of playing some that aren't in the books and people listen and do join in if they can, asking what the tunes are afterwards and sometimes asking me to play them again in following weeks.    It's fun and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Joy

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »

I'm with you there Joy. A lovely bunch of people. Yes, they do use a book, but that's for purely practical purposes, worked out over a long time. I don't get to the Tap much at the moment, but I see a lot of them at various ceilidhs in the area - both playing and dancing. See you around?  :|glug
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:51:52 PM by Ebor_fiddler »
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

Perhaps I am maligning the Tap unfairly. I have only visited that session once and the discouraging comment was made by only one person, but I didn't find the general atmosphere very welcoming. Perhaps I chose an 'off' night.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »

911377 brian, im hoping to hold a birthday session for myself  in kings nympton in july, your more than welcome to come and have a tune  among friends mate

911377brian

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »

@ Gypsylad.. I'm Deeply touched and would be pleased to come..a reminder nearer the date would be appreciated, old age is quietly eating away at my memory.. (:)

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »

No worries, and dont forget to search out micky in hatherliegh !

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »

What night are the sessions in South Zeal? Could make a good stopover on the long drive to Cornwall !

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »

I think you'll find it's a monday, which is annoying as I'm committed to morris practise on a monday....  >:(
@rse!

Edit: according to Flaxley Green, local website of All Things Folk, it's the third monday of month......
see here.
http://www.flaxey-green.co.uk/Pages/Sessions.html#mon

Q
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:14:21 AM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »

Ta
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal