Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Use For Your Old Box?!  (Read 4231 times)

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
A New Use For Your Old Box?!
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:58:25 AM »

Ingenious...

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: A New Use For Your Old Box?!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »

Ingenious...

Not a hundred per cent sure of what's happening here.
I think the car is playing the box, ergo the car must be a Hyundry or even a Bauxhall, tuned to a Morris
Minor key. I note how very Austin-tatious the box looks. I'm pretty sure it is very Reliant and could even reach a Coventry Climax. ( I wish!)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »

Ingenious...

Not a hundred per cent sure of what's happening here.
I think the car is playing the box, ergo the car must be a Hyundry or even a Bauxhall, tuned to a Morris
Minor key. I note how very Austin-tatious the box looks. I'm pretty sure it is very Reliant and could even reach a Coventry Climax. ( I wish!)

PS. Must be the Rolls Royce of Melodeons.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »

even reach a Coventry Climax. ( I wish!)

Yikes Nick, you`d have to be over 60 or have been in the motor trade to have even heard of that one (I was in the motor trade decades ago) .

most people would think it was a new technique from the British version of the Karma Sutra
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »

Yikes Nick, you`d have to be over 60 or have been in the motor trade to have even heard of that one

As any fule kno

The Hillman Imp's 875 cc all-aluminium power unit was adapted from a Coventry Climax FWMA fire pump engine

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »

Ah, the F1 Cooper-Climax; Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham, JIm Clark.......(you do realise there are crowds of people reading this who haven't a clue what we're talking about....... :D)

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »

Ah, the F1 Cooper-Climax; Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham, JIm Clark.......(you do realise there are crowds of people reading this who haven't a clue what we're talking about....... :D)

Graham

Nothing new there then.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

Yikes Nick, you`d have to be over 60 or have been in the motor trade to have even heard of that one

As any fule kno

The Hillman Imp's 875 cc all-aluminium power unit was adapted from a Coventry Climax FWMA fire pump engine

I think that motor was also in the Hillman Stiletto, now that really is showing an age thing.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »

Was it not badged as a Sunbeam Stiletto?  I've played a good few gigs at the old Rootes (later Peugeot) social club at Ryton-on-Dunsmore, in all sorts of bands.  Not quite sure if this constitutes thread-drift, in view of the OP.  Time for a swift libation, I feel (we are 2 hours ahead of UK!)  :|glug

Graham

Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »

It was the Sunbeam! And as for thread drift, it might be coat getting time.
 Sod the time difference , I'm on a Sherbert already, just to keep the blood warm you'll understand because of a freezing gale in these parts.

Matthew B

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

.......(you do realise there are crowds of people reading this who haven't a clue what we're talking about....... :D)
Graham

What's remarkable about this little bit of the cyberverse is the size of the crowd here that does know what you're all talking about.  And who can tell an Indian motorcycle just by the sound of the tappet whistle, identify a narrow-boat's manufacturer by the rake of her stern, and conduct a learned discourse on the acoustics (or lack thereof) of a bit of wood drilled full of holes.  When all we came here to talk about was melodeons. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Graham Spencer

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »

It was the Sunbeam! And as for thread drift, it might be coat getting time.
 Sod the time difference , I'm on a Sherbert already, just to keep the blood warm you'll understand because of a freezing gale in these parts.

Been about 18-20c here today  ;D ;D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »

Was it not badged as a Sunbeam Stiletto?  I've played a good few gigs at the old Rootes (later Peugeot) social club at Ryton-on-Dunsmore, in all sorts of bands.  Not quite sure if this constitutes thread-drift, in view of the OP.  Time for a swift libation, I feel (we are 2 hours ahead of UK!)  :|glug

Graham

There was also the Singer Chamois and Hillman Husky (:)

Graham Spencer

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »

.......(you do realise there are crowds of people reading this who haven't a clue what we're talking about....... :D)
Graham

What's remarkable about this little bit of the cyberverse is the size of the crowd here that does know what you're all talking about.  And who can tell an Indian motorcycle just by the sound of the tappet whistle, identify a narrow-boat's manufacturer by the rake of her stern, and conduct a learned discourse on the acoustics (or lack thereof) of a bit of wood drilled full of holes.  When all we came here to talk about was melodeons.

Very true - though you've missed the steam railway enthusiasts!  I'm not sure whether that was a reprimand or a message of support..... ;D

Graham

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »

Graham

All these car manufacturers only now exist here as the names of social clubs (Standard Triumph Social Club is another one) or other things such as the Singer Halls of residence or the Morris Building (Coventry University).

LTI (Carbodies) is just about hanging on in there as the last of the last.

Oh, back on threadish, and I've played melodeon out at Ryton-on-Dunsmore and at the Standard Truimph.

Matthew B

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »

Very true - though you've missed the steam railway enthusiasts!  I'm not sure whether that was a reprimand or a message of support..... ;D

I also skipped the over whole Dr. Who/Esperanto/competitive mustache-growing/cabinet-making spectrum as well.

But support, my friend, definitely support. 

After all, this is melnet!
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Graham Spencer

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »

I also skipped the over whole Dr. Who/Esperanto/competitive mustache-growing/cabinet-making spectrum as well.

But support, my friend, definitely support. 

After all, this is melnet!

Thank goodness for that!  Your health, sir!  :|glug

Graham

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »

Oh! God..

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »

Motorbikes are much more fun. And they are mentioned in the Bible.

'And Moses came down with Triumph'  ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

OldJack

• Good talker
    • Suisun Sailor
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 05:32:13 AM »

There was also the Singer Chamois and Hillman Husky/quote]

I didn't realize you were all so old. I had a Hillman Husky my last two years as an undergrad at UCLA. Drove that rascal from L.A. to San Francisco (40 miles per U.S. gallon, about 30 cents per) to check the Keroac scene and the free-up chicks in Berkeley. Crazy music in the bars. Can't remember a thing of it. Came home on the fumes. God bless the Hillman Husky.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal