Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: F sharp on B/C Box.  (Read 3049 times)

al hanson

• New Starter
F sharp on B/C Box.
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »

How can this note (F sharp) be played smoothly in arpeggios such as (D- Fsharp- A) in, for example "Soldier's Joy".
I've struggled with this problem for ages.

george garside

Re: F sharp on B/C Box.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »

How can this note (F sharp) be played smoothly in arpeggios such as (D- Fsharp- A) in, for example "Soldier's Joy".
I've struggled with this problem for ages.

This requires  quite a bit of practice, the key ingredient being to keep the bellows near to shut!  try it with just 2 bellows pleats open, using the wrist rather than the arm to give precise & swift bellows control. Playing with tight bellows is usefull when rapis reversals are required in any tune - playing with well extended bellows results in the bellows trying to go sideways or snake about so losing the quick change between notes.  On a BCC#  DF#A can be played on the pull which is one of the advanatages of the three row, although for soldiers joy I have a slight preference for the sound you get when using  the push F sharp on the B row.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 04:04:29 PM »

Hello Mr. Hanson, welcome aboard.

Sorry, I can't answer your question. What's a B/C box?  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Skipy

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

What's a B/C box?  ;)

Ooh Rees, You Cat!

Seriously though, just to add my amateur opinion, I find it helps if, as George advises, the bellows are kept as closed as is practicable but also that the accordion is kept still, i.e, by using two straps...... (Uh-Oh, Here we go again........ The Two Strap Brigade  ;)), it just means all my concentration is on playing the correct notes, Not shared with holding the box still.

Skipy
Saltarelle Solstice 12 B/C/C#, Hohner Trichord III B/C/C#. 

I can't imagine life without my melodeons!

al hanson

• New Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »

Thanks to all except Rees on this one. He's an old "mate" of mine so he's excused!
Good advice. The only previous hint I had from someone (in Huddersfield) was to do with use of air button!

Al

george garside

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »

Thanks to all except Rees on this one. He's an old "mate" of mine so he's excused!
Good advice. The only previous hint I had from someone (in Huddersfield) was to do with use of air button!

Al

for what its worth you shouldn't need to use the air button for soldiers joy in D  (on a BC box) just start with about 3 or 4 inches of bellows and  the ins & outs should more or less balance up.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:41:11 AM »

Al seems to have got his answer but anyway, getting better reeds and lighter touch makes a big difference.
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal