Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Superior" accordions  (Read 3502 times)

Ted

• Good talker
"Superior" accordions
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:29:04 AM »

Does anyone have any information on Superior accordions? They were made around 1940 in NYC and sold by Frank Umbriaco from his shop on 116th Street. I have located 3 of them physically and know of 2 others. The single row is in G, the 1 1/2 and 2 row boxes are in DC#. All 5 have rectangular buttons. I would like to know more about the builder(s) and how many of them were made. They must be rare as there are only a couple of people I've talked to that have ever heard of the Superior brand.
Ted

Lars

Re: "Superior" accordions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »

Hi Ted.

Superior was a brand making boxes for the Irish-American Marked, just like F.H. Walters and Baldoni-Bartoli. From what I know, they were partially or completely build by IORIO accordion company just outside New York, a company famous for their innovative Piano Accordions, and for making parts for, and complete button accordions branded IORIO, ART, BALDONI-BARTOLI and F. H. Walters. You'll se a bunch of those all having the same characteristics despite their different brand, but in some cases they were all made, or partially made by IORIO.

Like the aforementioned makes, they are very powerful boxes, ment to be played hard and loud to cope with the crowded dancehalls and playing for dancing.

I've never seen a SUPERIOR in the flesh, but sure would like to! Do you have any photos?

hibbs3

Re: "Superior" accordions
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »

Tom Senier and Timmy Cronin each played one from what I've seen. Lars has a couple pictures of them on his flickr account
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal