Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to learn - what should I buy?  (Read 4232 times)

cj

• New Starter
I want to learn - what should I buy?
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »

Hi

I'd like to learn to play the Melodeon (wowed at a Bellowhead gig!) but I'm not sure where to start. Here are my basic questions:
* Are the cheaper (Chinese) boxes really to be avoided?
* What make/model/tuning should I buy?
* Lots of people recommend a Hohner Pokerwork, can I do any better than that? (That would be at the extreme end of my budget)
* What about the Delica range?
* Anything else I should know/consider?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers

CJ
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:20:50 PM by cj »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: I'd want to learn - what should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »

Hi

I'd like to learn to play the Melodeon (wowed at a Bellowhead gig!) but I'm not sure where to start. Here are my basic questions:
* Are the cheaper (Chinese) boxes really to be avoided?
Yes, unless that is all your budget will stretch to. 
* What make/model/tuning should I buy?
If you are inspired to play English music then a D/G two row will make it easy for you to utilise tutorial material, books, workshops etc
* Lots of people recommend a Hohner Pokerwork, can I do any better than that? (That would be at the extreme end of my budget)
Pokerwork or Erica equally good, there are secondhand ones around.
* What about the Delica range?
Good boxes, they tend to be a little mellower in sound than Hohners, but they play well
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

Re: I'd want to learn - what should I buy?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:30:32 PM »

I agree with what Theo has said with perhaps a little note of caution about the delicia popular.Whilst I'm sure it is well made the 4 people I know who bought them new changed to hohner polerwork within a year.  This probably does not apply to later more upmarket delicias.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
Re: I want to learn - what should I buy?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »

This doesn't answer your questions exactly but thought it might be of interest as you were wowed by Bellowhead. In 2004 I asked John Spiers (by email) what he would recommend as a starter instrument and I did say that I was considering the pokerwork. This was his exact reply;

I would recommend the d/g Pokerwork to anyone - it was the instrument I started on and still one of my favourite instruments to play now. Obviously the more pricey melodeons are better at some things (faster buttons on the keyboard, stronger reeds, longer-lasting bellows etc.) but in all honesty the Pokerwork is probably the best starter instrument for anyone - and many stick with it for good because it sounds so right.
Good Luck

Sandy
 :)

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:13:06 PM »

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »

Unless you are uncomfortable about it, why not give an idea what region you're in and maybe some of us can let you try a few boxes?  (I'm in Basingstoke, Hants)

I would only warn you that there is quite a difference between a German (second-hand only) Pokerwork and  a new Chinese one!  They pass for the same box when a group of us is playing together, but the new box is slightly clumsier action and seems to be quieter, too.

Rob.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »

I've never played a pokerwork I liked unless it had been fettled first (that is the key travel sorted, get rid of that bloody awful thumb strap etc etc) so a well played in second hand box that's been set up nicely is by far the better option. 

I'd steer clear of the Chinese starter boxes as they are just about okay for the money but are valueless on resale (it was a cheap Chinese that got me hooked on the melodeon).

If your money stretches I'd go for a new Hohner Morgane or second hand Dino Baffetti.  You might find other makers' boxes (of a similar quality) like Delicia but they seem to be rarer. 

My general advice is buy the most expensive box you can afford as the bottom end of the market is a false economy.  If at all possible try as many boxes as you can get your hands on to see what suits you best, even the same model can feel different between different instruments.

Definitely go for DG.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

I agree with most of what's been said and would emphasise not to buy too cheap.  Cheap instruments of any type, not just melodeons, never ever give any satisfaction to the player and are more likely to put you off playing forever.  They are more difficult to play and the sound begins to pall very quickly.

I've still got my poker work despite 7 other boxes and wouldn't part with it so if other people are like me I don't know what's available on the secondhand market but I can endorse the Morgane, Merlin, Galaad boxes as well as the Erica.  Can anyone comment on the Compadre ?

All the best in your search and do try before you buy if possible.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »

I started playing as an absolute beginner with no knowledge at all.

Trying boxes wouldn't have helped me because I could do nothing apart from look at the general wear from the outside. As for how it played??     

-Can you find someone with experience to help you?

One word of WARNING!!! If you buy a box, it may be the first of many!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Sandy
p.s. Is this a 'boys and their toys' thing or do many girls have the same MAD problem???
      I don't, but I think that's because I can't afford it!!

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »

I started playing as an absolute beginner with no knowledge at all.

Trying boxes wouldn't have helped me because I could do nothing apart from look at the general wear from the outside. As for how it played??   

I wasn't very clear about trying before buying.  What I should have said is look at its general condition.  How heavy is it?  When you hold it does it feel comfortable, does it have sharp edges?  When you open and close the belows how stiff are they?  Give it a shake, does it rattle?  Do the buttons disappear into the case when fully depressed?  Do you like the sounds it makes?  How quietly can it be played?  Try gently opening and closing the bellows without using any buttons, is it easy or hard?  Easy would indicate that there are air leaks. 

And I'm sure there are plenty of others

-Can you find someone with experience to help you?

By far the best option if you can find a player to help you.
Ciao Bellow

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal