Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why You Chose a Two or Three Voice?  (Read 20218 times)

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
Re: Why You Chose a Two or Three Voice?
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »

Steve ...  I was replying to someone who was saying that the "better" sound from a particular melodeon was probably because it had less stuff mounted on the "soundboard" and therefore it would be able to vibrate better.
In this case it was obvious that they didn't mean it as simply somewhere that reedblocks are mounted but that it performed some sort of function similar to a soundboard in a string instrument.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2013, 05:09:57 AM »

... act rather like tuned mass dampers, absorbing energy from the air ...

Can't we do something about that by realigning the deflector dish and reversing the polarity of the neutron flow?

I'm thinking of fitting an interociter.......... ;)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »

GPS: Isn't that a relative of a Velociraptor?
....or have I got the wrong genus?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roger Howard

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »

I'm thinking of fitting an interociter..........

Isn't there a thread somewhere about the melodeon of the future? Perhaps it will come with one already fitted. ... or at least as an option.
 :P
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »

_       _    _      _ 

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »

Regarding sound boards, got it, I think.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »

I'm thinking of fitting an interociter..........

Isn't there a thread somewhere about the melodeon of the future? Perhaps it will come with one already fitted. ... or at least as an option.
 :P

Maybe - if someone can perfect a process to manufacture synthetic dilithium crystals..... :D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Steve C.

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »

I almost hate to ask this, but is a "casotto chamber" like a soundboard?

I read what a CC is, but have never actually seen one, except in pictures.  Does it actually work?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »

I almost hate to ask this, but is a "casotto chamber" like a soundboard?

I read what a CC is, but have never actually seen one, except in pictures.  Does it actually work?

Wikipedia says:

More expensive accordions have a feature called a Cassotto (Italian for "box"), also referred to as a "tone chamber", in the treble (right-hand) reed section. In this design, certain reed sets (usually one set of middle reeds, and the set of low reeds) are mounted at a 90-degree angle to the remaining reeds. The sound from these specially-mounted reeds must then travel farther, and along a different path, before leaving the instrument, muting the harmonics (partials) of those reeds and creating a distinctively mellow, refined sound. The sound of cassotto bassoon (low) reeds is particularly favored by jazz accordionists.
The cassotto design requires a sophisticated treble mechanism where each key must open and close air passages not only for reeds mounted at the traditional angle, but also for air passages at a relative 45-degree angle (for the cassotto reeds). To do this properly, each rod and pad must be positioned precisely in relation to its right-angle counterpart.

KLR

« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »

My PA is a Giulietti LMH dry with cassotto.  The extra response really helps, in fact I find playing the H on its own more of a chore than the other settings - maybe the L takes more air but I don't feel at all like a hole is suddenly open in the bellows; same with my Corona IIIR, which isn't cassotto of course.

I'd love to have a button box with LMH but it looked like if anyone made them it'd be an even more expensive special order so am settling on LM, dry.  LMH is just the most glorious sound.  Some PA and CBA players have even bigger monsters, LLMMMH double cassotto etc.  Someone said something about the PA bigger is better phenomenon earlier in this thread, they weren't kidding.

My Hohner does have dry LM and wet LMM, I'm not so nuts about wet boxes in general; got out my Corona III the other day and had to give up after 5 minutes, it was making my head throb.  Cutting through noise I can see the point of but the wetness still sounds a bit like Tunisian bagpipes to me. 

Steve C.

« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »

I had read the Wiki on the casotto.  It sounds like an air resonance (like horns) more than a material resonance (like piano).  Is that the acoustic effect?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »

Aurélien Claranbaux's  accordeon (see lost/stolen, New Year) had a casotto in there, and he's well to the cool side of the folk/jazz divide. His facebook described it as unique - I'd translated that to 'unusual', but can't say I've seen another one!

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2508.msg140153.html#msg140153
  _       _    _      _ 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:11 PM »

I had read the Wiki on the casotto.  It sounds like an air resonance (like horns) more than a material resonance (like piano).  Is that the acoustic effect?

I'd guess a combination of that and simple loss of high frequencies through absorption - they don't go round corners well, and when they try to bounce off the internal wood surfaces they get partially absorbed.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »

Not much, Anahata. Reflection at an acoustic interface relates to the squared (difference in accoustic impedencies divided by the sum). "Z" for a gas is high, for a solid impedence is low, think singing railway lines, or Tonto listening to the ground for horsesvgalloping far away

Reflect at a gas/solid interface should be virtually spicular. Yes, it will change with frequency as the "Z"s are complex numbers, but not much.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:18:53 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »

(Anally retentive pedant brings the thread back to the basic question:)

When it comes to two and three row melodeons, my preference for two-voice instruments is simple: they are lighter! For me, this factor more than outweighs (pun intended!) the richer sound that a three-voice box provides.

I am fortunate in having the luxury of also owning a couple of four-voice one row instruments which combine lightness with an incredibly rich sound. Nirvana!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve C.

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »

Are we sure Chris is really retired?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »

Me? I'm still in harness. Looking at the ever changing tax rules here in UK I have a "no brainer" retirement date on 1,2,3 or 4 April 2014, ONLY.  The same cold logic apples to several thousand NHS senior staff, who will logically all bugger off in the same week. We are the "fat cats" whose pensions are being robbed raided by a government short of money. (In my case, don't do private work.  I've simply paid standard rate into the pension scheme for 36 years)  :-\

.. More time to play melodeon ...  :|glug
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:11:13 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Johnf

• Regular debater
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »

How about a 4 voice?   8)  Just kidding really. I primarily play a Louisiana built Cajun one-row LMMH w/ 4 stops. Cajun music in general uses all four voices, but I do find myself closing the L or the L and H at times when playing for myself.  I do have a two voice Double Ray for Irish and general folk and don't seem to miss the L voice.
Austin Texas
C "LeCapitaine"
B/C "Double Ray"
Mandolin
Pennywhistle

Ada

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »

Just to muddy the waters further (but at least this this is relevant to the subject), I much prefer the sound of my 3-voice Hohner Corona (MMM) to that of any of the 2-voice versions I've played. Heavier, yes, but somehow sounds more "Hohnery".

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »

I much prefer the sound of my 3-voice Hohner Corona (MMM) to that of any of the 2-voice versions
That is a special, wonderful sound.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal