Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumb Groove  (Read 8783 times)

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
Re: Thumb Groove
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

If it aint broke don't try to fix it.  ;)

Or fix it 'til it is   ???
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »

This thread seems to be as much about shoulder straps as it is about thumb straps and thumb grooves, soooooo.......

I find that, no matter how I adjust the straps, the one over my left shoulder has an annoying habit of slipping off my shoulder when I am playing. Until now I have prevented this from happening by using a natty pink (!) dog collar to secure the straps to each other behind my back. However, Hugh Taylor of this parish dropped in to our Morris practice last night and showed me a simpler method that I not encountered before, which obviates the need for a back strap. He puts the two straps on his shoulders as normal and then passes the left shoulder strap over his head so that both straps rest on the right shoulder. This holds the melodeon very securely with no danger of the straps coming off the shoulder and no need for a back strap.

The left strap needs lengthening to facilitate this and the right strap needs shortening. I am slim enough to do this by moving the buckle onto the last hole on the left strap, but somebody with a 'fuller figure' might need a longer strap or some kind of extension. Apart from this, I can see no down side to this method, while the up side is that the melodeon is held more securely and there is no need for a back strap. Thanks, Hugh.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »

This thread seems to be as much about shoulder straps as it is about thumb straps and thumb grooves, soooooo.......

<snip>

Apart from this, I can see no down side to this method, while the up side is that the melodeon is held more securely and there is no need for a back strap. Thanks, Hugh.

From your description it sounds as if this would cause the keyboard to move from the mostly agreed optimal centre line of your body position to being far too much to the right??  Maybe a picture would help.

Mind you in the "World of Lester" you only need two straps if you have two melodeons  >:E

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »

I've never had a melodeon with a thumb groove, and I'm not sure how I'd get on with one.

I have unusual thumbs. Yes, really  :o

Actually, I'm not sure how unusual they are but I've only ever been aware of this in my own family; they bend back getting on towards 90 degrees. This means a much broader melodeon/thumb interface, and on my 2 rows, often at an angle across the end of the keyboard.

Since I've not had an issue with ungrooved keyboards, I think that I'll probably avoid grooved ones.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »

Suspect you won't need one there ..

Georgie Charlton had a pig
  And it was double jointed,
  He took it to the butcher's shop
  To get its trotters pointed.
     Way, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe

nothing about thumb rebates there, though he may have got his bacon cheap  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

<snip>

Apart from this, I can see no down side to this method, while the up side is that the melodeon is held more securely and there is no need for a back strap. Thanks, Hugh.

From your description it sounds as if this would cause the keyboard to move from the mostly agreed optimal centre line of your body position to being far too much to the right??

The movement to the right from my normal playing position was little more than half an inch, which affected my playing style not one jot! Even this could be obviated by getting a longer strap. Now, I wonder whether a certain Welsh wizard often found lurking hereabouts might have any longer Castagnari-type padded leather straps for sale.......
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

911377brian

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »

I started this thread because I was genuinely puzzled about the thumb groove and wondering if [a] it would stop my thumb going dead on me and give a bit  more box stability.Well, Huzza ! Thanks to classic thread drift on the part of Hero Bob I've found a way to nail the box firmly to my chest with his weird strap arrangement. It really works, and having just tried a 1040 with a thumb groove I've decided it does'nt make any discernable difference... Incidently the box seems to sit pretty much where it always did before I tried Bob's bondage system, it just stays put... ;) :||: :||: ;)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »

I think nailing the box to ones chest is going too far, so inconvenient for showering...
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »

I think nailing the box to ones chest is going too far, so inconvenient for showering...

Not necessarily, if you use galvanised nails...... ::)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

... Incidently the box seems to sit pretty much where it always did before I tried Bob's bondage system, it just stays put... ;) :||: :||: ;)

I hope this is about the noble game of Cricket rather than anything more exotic, but do continue to share anything helpful to those of us who are still "learning the ropes"  ;D
  _       _    _      _ 

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »

Cricket. Box. Ropes  :o
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »

I started this thread because I was genuinely puzzled about the thumb groove and wondering if [a] it would stop my thumb going dead on me and give a bit  more box stability.Well, Huzza ! Thanks to classic thread drift on the part of Hero Bob I've found a way to nail the box firmly to my chest with his weird strap arrangement. It really works, and having just tried a 1040 with a thumb groove I've decided it does'nt make any discernable difference... Incidently the box seems to sit pretty much where it always did before I tried Bob's bondage system, it just stays put... ;) :||: :||: ;)

Glad to be of service, but, to give credit where it is due, it is not my bondage system. It was pointed out to me by Hugh Taylor, who has been using it for years. I think Hugh said that he got it from a friend of his.

sine labore

• Good talker
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:03 AM »

Is there such a thing as a "clip on" thumb groove that would not damage the edge of the keyboard? Perhaps it could be clamped at either end of the keyboard and easily remove able.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:03:41 AM by sine labore »

Matthew B

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »

Pete, of Acorn Instruments, makes very nice replacement wooden fingerboards for Pokerworks and Ericas that have been discussed in detail in various parts of the forum.  They are very easy to fit -- not quite clip-on -- but they only require a couple of screws and a little tinkering.  The have a very comfortable thumb-groove, and as a bonus shorten the action and moderate the Hohner percussion section. 

Worth every penny of the very affordable price, and not a huge investment if you don't like the feel. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:38 AM »

Copy over from this morning's "what is this" thread.

Yet another variation on the groove/thumb strap theme?

_       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal