Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sincerest Form of Flattery  (Read 6046 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
The Sincerest Form of Flattery
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »

Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
Re: The Sincerest Form of Flattery
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »

I have been toying with having a go at the concertina, in fact.  I didn't realise it was so Sharks and Jets.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »

I have been toying with having a go at the concertina, in fact.  I didn't realise it was so Sharks and Jets.  :)

That would entirely depend on the concertina system you decided on.  8)
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »

I started out on an anglo. I like the portability but don't like the sound of single-reed. Mine was also a lower quality concertina which might add to the shrillness of it.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »

I think I had the same idea.  Just get a cheapo anglo for playing when I'm away from home and don't want to risk one of my precious melodeons on the whims of airline baggage handlers.  Honestly, my Mum's case had a massive dent in it when we landed. 

I'm having a go at one during Melodeons and More.  All being well, it will go on my birthday list.  Big birthday this year.  Of course, this all hinges on my 12-year-old car passing its MOT - if it's dead, new car will be on the birthday list instead.

/edit Another afterthought it that it will be nice to have a related instrument that can be played chromatically for when I want to play with non-folkie friends who play in all sorts of silly keys.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:26:18 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

deltasalmon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »

/edit Another afterthought it that it will be nice to have a related instrument that can be played chromatically for when I want to play with non-folkie friends who play in all sorts of silly keys.

B/C...   ;D
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

I think I had the same idea.  Just get a cheapo anglo for playing when I'm away from home and don't want to risk one of my precious melodeons on the whims of airline baggage handlers. 

I've yet to meet the melodeon that exceeds cabin baggage dimensions; none of my boxes has EVER been left to the ministrations of baggage manglers handlers. Though to be fair, some of my guitars and basses have and they've survived intact!  Maybe they're more considerate of a guitar-shaped case than they would be of a cuboidal melodeon case.......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »

Depends on the keys you want to play in of course but the anglo is only really playable across a restricted number of keys as I understand it. Other keys, although theoretically possible are impractically difficult if not downright impossible to play. English is the way to go if you want to play in a full range of keys.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

deltasalmon

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »

or duet. I think if I were to buy a new concertina I would like to try the Hayden duet system.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »

Trouble with hand luggage is that these days there are so many things that must not go in hold luggage and vice versa, and I have so many things I want with me on the flight, that I just wouldn't have room for anything but a melodeon, and I doubt they'd let me play it on the flight...

There's the other advantage, that a concertina makes you look like a pirate. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »

I've not had problems getting a melodeon in hand baggage. There's still been room for a couple of shirts on front of the keyboard. My Gaillard is actually bigger than Ryanair's deliberately sub-industry-standard test cage. That's just one reason I don't fly with them.
  _       _    _      _ 

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »

There are quite a few on Melnet who also play concertina. Like melodeons, there is a range to choose from although perhaps not quite as many options.
I can transfer tunes fairly easily between a C/G Anglo and my melodeon. Whether that's a good thing I don't know!

I've found players of one instrument friendly towards players of the other. C-net is quieter than here with a lot less noise banter. Some from here consider it unfriendly but that not's been my experience. But different.

I would caution against "cheapo" - concertinas are relatively more expensive than melodeons and the kind of money that will buy a respectable mid-range melodeon won't in general buy a respectable mid-range concertina. You've heard the arguments about cheap boxes.

If you ask around I would have thought you well positioned to try before you buy.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

There's the other advantage, that a concertina makes you look like a pirate. ;)

I can manage the peg leg, the eye patch and the parrot but imagining you with a beard and a concertina is troubling me a little.  :o
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 10:15:58 PM »

Don't forget your "hook" laddie! 

Just noticed: peg, patch and parrot .. all start with the pirates favourite letter!  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »

Don't forget your "hook" laddie! 

Just noticed: peg, patch and parrot .. all start with the pirates favourite letter!  :|glug

Thought that was Arrrrrrrr!

Andrew Shead

• Good talker
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »

or duet. I think if I were to buy a new concertina I would like to try the Hayden duet system.

I tried a Hayden Elise from Concertina Connection. The button layout is logical, but I found the keypad a little too cramped for my hands. Though not as compact, the melodeon is more spacious to play and produces a richer tone. The Button Box have a rental programme to mitigate the costs involved for a first time player, which is good if there isn't anything available locally.
Primo D/G Scholar.

Tunes executed: any instrument convenient as a gallows.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »

And don't forget that it was concertina.net that inspired the creation of melodeon.net in the first place!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »

Quote from: Lester link=topic=11761.msg145527#msg145527
Thought that was Arrrrrrrr!

It was indeed, Lester

until one pirate noticed "P" was "R"

.. with a leg missing  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

deltasalmon

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

I tried a Hayden Elise from Concertina Connection. The button layout is logical, but I found the keypad a little too cramped for my hands. Though not as compact, the melodeon is more spacious to play and produces a richer tone. The Button Box have a rental programme to mitigate the costs involved for a first time player, which is good if there isn't anything available locally.

I forgot that the Button Box has that rental program. Thanks for the reminder. I might be heading up that way in March and am going to try and work in a visit but if not the rental seems ideal for trying a new instrument that I'm wary will stick.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »

Would be nice if there were rentals in the UK.  If there are, I don't know of such.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal