Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for April 2017: Morpeth Rant  (Read 5446 times)

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
Re: Tune of the Month for April 2017: Morpeth Rant
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »

Here's Morpeth Rant on my A/D Hohner Corso - so it comes out in the key of A.

I don't often play this box.  Isn't it surprising how a different box feels even though it's the same layout as your usual box, just slightly different weight, key travel, bellows pressure etc.  All of this is just as an excuse for the fumbled notes!

https://youtu.be/-P60fREcnug

Mitch
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »

What several of these videos show is the first signs of "melodeonisation" -- a tune being changed (bodged?) to make it easier to play on the box, or to fit in with the basses.

Or at least, according to the version in my head that used to be played by Northumbrian fiddlers...

As with many traditional tunes, there will be at least as many variants as players - probably more, as I suspect few of us play any tune EXACTLY the same twice.  Published - or indeed unpublished manuscript - versions of tunes are only "correct" in the sense that they represent one person's interpretation of how one musician played that tune once on one particular day. I seriously doubt that all "Northumbrian fiddlers" played any tune identically on the same day and playing together, let alone individually weeks, months and years apart.  I'm sure you have a  variant in your head - as have I, as have most of us; but that's just what it is - a variant. Yours may not be the same as mine, or as  XYZ's  from Little Piddlington, but they're all equally valid. That's the nature of traditional music, I'm afraid.......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 09:10:20 AM »

Thanks folks - onto the next tune. Stick late contributions on the end of this thread of course!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal