Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABC - The Finer Points  (Read 2997 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
ABC - The Finer Points
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »

Sorry if this has been done before but I couldn't find a relevant thread in a quick sweep through the 'Tunes' and 'Teaching and Learning' forums. I have a few questions that I'm hoping the more advanced abc users can help me with.

1. I'm trying to transcribe a piece with chords in, one bit is driving me potty because I can't get abc to write it properly. It seems straightforward enough, a low quaver with a semiquaver above linked to another semiquaver. The L: field is 1/16 so I have the statement: [G4e2]d2 which doesn't display at all as it should. What am I doing wrong?

2. ABC Navigator 2 doesn't always display ties and slurs properly but they appear correctly in the Convert-A-Matic, is it just me or is it a problem with the software.

3. ABC Navigator 2 doesn't display harmony parts properly at all. Instead of a harmony line appearing below the main part in a two line stave it displays all of the first part followed by the harmony part but it plays the midi properly! Again it is displayed properly by the Convert-A-Matic, What's going on?

4. Is there a piece of software that will allow me to print off a 'songbook' collection in one go instead of printing each tune on a separate page?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: ABC - The Finer Points
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »

1. I'm trying to transcribe a piece with chords in, one bit is driving me potty because I can't get abc to write it properly. It seems straightforward enough, a low quaver with a semiquaver above linked to another semiquaver. The L: field is 1/16 so I have the statement: [G4e2]d2 which doesn't display at all as it should. What am I doing wrong?

No idea never code up chords.

2. ABC Navigator 2 doesn't always display ties and slurs properly but they appear correctly in the Convert-A-Matic, is it just me or is it a problem with the software.

It's not just you there are some shortcomings with ABC Nav but for the price it's great :-)

3. ABC Navigator 2 doesn't display harmony parts properly at all. Instead of a harmony line appearing below the main part in a two line stave it displays all of the first part followed by the harmony part but it plays the midi properly! Again it is displayed properly by the Convert-A-Matic, What's going on?

See above

4. Is there a piece of software that will allow me to print off a 'songbook' collection in one go instead of printing each tune on a separate page?
Try ABC Navigator which will print multiple pages and allow you to place page breaks between tunes, its all in the Print List tab at the bottom of the page.

Alternatively if you are keen there is a lot of clever stuff to do with ABC layout and c.net Convert-a-matic in this thread at The Session which in turn will point you to ABC Geek Central

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:36:01 PM »

ABC Geek Central
Oh dear, I'm officially a geek  ::)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »

There is an '' Add to Print list '' next to the '' Print '' button in AbcNavigator.

ABCexplorer 1.3.4  another free abc playing/printing program ...........   http://abc.stalikez.info/abcex.php
This has help files!

Graham

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »

1. It seems straightforward enough, a low quaver with a semiquaver above linked to another semiquaver. The L: field is 1/16 so I have the statement: [G4e2]d2 which doesn't display at all as it should. What am I doing wrong?
In almost all notation software this requires seperate layers. I don't think this is supported in standard abc. You could use extensions like abcm2ps (searching for 'abcplus' might help). If you want to stick to 'ordinary' abc you could fake it with something like [G2~e2][G2d2].

Depending on your operating system and experience with commandline tools (I usually use Linux) the standard stuff like abc2ps and extensions based on this (abcplus, abcm2ps) can convert an entire abc file to postscript, which you can convert to pdf. It has all kinds of printing options and you can specify whether you want each tune on a seperate page. Sample output of such a tunebook:
http://members.home.nl/simonplantinga/hbc/hbc.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal