Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sessions  (Read 9337 times)

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
Re: Sessions
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »

Excellent - LdT - glad you had a good time  ;D  What tune did you start? I'm off to Walthamstowe tonight and I've been learning Idbury Hill . . . .we'll see whether it gets an airing!!

Ooh, at least it won't just be Steven & me! Look forward to seeing you. And I can now play L'inconnu de Limoise, either as a waltz or as a well, whatever it is when it's swung. Mazurka? I know, it's not very English, but it goes so prettily with the oh-so-English Michael Turner's Waltz.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:02 AM »

This thread has got me wondering why I haven't found a decent session to attend. I assumed that it would be too far away, but perhaps not listening to how far some of you travel. I live near Hawes in Wensleydale and tried one at Grinton (20 miles), but it was all guitars and Bob Dylan songs. Can anyone recommend a tune session within travelling distance (mainly English tunes with a smattering of European would be good)? Nidderdale's just ovver t'hill, so where and when is the one that was mentioned as taking place there and is it any good?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 06:25:50 AM »

This thread has got me wondering why I haven't found a decent session to attend. I assumed that it would be too far away, but perhaps not listening to how far some of you travel. I live near Hawes in Wensleydale and tried one at Grinton (20 miles),

I can fill you in about sessions in West Lancashire, but that perhaps is a bit far? I currently go to sessions in Billinge, Worthington (near Standish), and Southport.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 12:35:56 PM »

I can fill you in about sessions in West Lancashire, but that perhaps is a bit far? I currently go to sessions in Billinge, Worthington (near Standish), and Southport.

Thanks for the offer, but it would be more than a two hour drive, which would be a bit far and rather expensive on fuel. I was hoping to find something within an hour or so's drive.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »

I know lots of you travel far and wide for sessions but who travels shortest distance time or milage wise?

Anyone beat 10-15mins?

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »

heh heh heh -- I do now that I started the Walthamstow session. It's a brisk 10 minute walk from my house, or about 2mins in the car for lazy lazy people.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »

I can beat that - I have a local session that's a 5 minute walk from my front door ;D Except we never walk there, as it's straight after morris practise, which is further away  ::)

So I suppose if you average all my session travel out, it's probably about half an hour each for each session over the course of a month  :D

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

Well mine is a five minute walk or one minute in the car. Believe it or not, I often drive. Not because I am lazy, but because it ensures that I won't drink more than one pint which is good for my health, purse and melodeon playing!!

cheers

Sandy
 (:)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »

This thread has got me wondering why I haven't found a decent session to attend. I assumed that it would be too far away, but perhaps not listening to how far some of you travel. I live near Hawes in Wensleydale and tried one at Grinton (20 miles), but it was all guitars and Bob Dylan songs. Can anyone recommend a tune session within travelling distance (mainly English tunes with a smattering of European would be good)? Nidderdale's just ovver t'hill, so where and when is the one that was mentioned as taking place there and is it any good?
Bob, have you tried heading east and north-east?
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/martin.nail/regional.htm#NE
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »

I'm moving to Norwich soon, anyone know of sessions within reach (I don't have a car and can't afford to travel far)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »

Bob, have you tried heading east and north-east?
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/martin.nail/regional.htm#NE

Thanks for the link, Steve. Most of the listings tend to be for folk clubs, which is not what I am looking for, but the sessions at the Tap and Spile in Harrogate on a Tuesday evening look possible. It will probably take an hour and a half to get there, but in the absence of anything nearer, it might be worth trying out.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »

I know lots of you travel far and wide for sessions but who travels shortest distance time or milage wise?

Anyone beat 10-15mins?

Aye. Pub is literally across the road from where I lived in Cambridge. Unfortunately I'll be living somewhere else next year, probably around 3 minutes further away :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »

Which pub? (Just out of interest. I used to live in Cambridge, but wasn't into sessions at the time!)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »

Which pub? (Just out of interest. I used to live in Cambridge, but wasn't into sessions at the time!)

We used to session in the Mill, but have since moved to the Cross Keys, on Trumpington Street. It's a nice enough pub, and has a fairly open plan feel, with two levels, one for us, one for everyone else :P It works reasonably well as a sessioning pub.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »

I can beat that - I have a local session that's a 5 minute walk from my front door ;D Except we never walk there, as it's straight after morris practise, which is further away  ::)

So I suppose if you average all my session travel out, it's probably about half an hour each for each session over the course of a month  :D

All I need to do now is find the session then I can start stalking you   >:E

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 10:15:38 AM »

Quote from: Lester
All I need to do now is find the session then I can start stalking you   >:E

I'm far too boring to be worth stalking  :D I'd stalk someone with lots of nice boxes...hang on, you could stalk yourself! ;D

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »

We used to session in the Mill, but have since moved to the Cross Keys, on Trumpington Street.

Out of interest, what days are the sessions? I'm just outside Cambridge so this would be quite local for me. Does the Cross Keys still sell Hoegaarden?

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »

We used to session in the Mill, but have since moved to the Cross Keys, on Trumpington Street.

Out of interest, what days are the sessions? I'm just outside Cambridge so this would be quite local for me. Does the Cross Keys still sell Hoegaarden?

Thursday nights, usually from around 10 onwards, but earlier outside of term. Technically it's a university session, but we always welcome townies. I'd certainly welcome another box player, although I won't be there until October, when term restarts.

A lot of our repertoire comes from Scottish and Irish music. We generally play a few "folder tunes", which should give you an idea. Most of our folder music is found on our website, www.cucb.co.uk under "music".

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »

we always welcome townies

Crikey - that goes against the usual town -v- gown battles!!  ;) I remember the good old days etc etc

Anyway, I'm more of a villagie than a townie these days.

Cheers for the link to the tunes - I'll have a look

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »

I came across this on conc.net. Quite a distance from you but maybe nearer than Harrogate.
There's also a weekly session in Kendal, though maybe more eclectic than you're after.

I know about the session in Dickie Doodle's in Kendal, but it is not really a tune session - more song based and very eclectic. However, the session in Staveley might be worth a look. Thanks for the information.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal