Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry to be such a clutz but....  (Read 2245 times)

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
Sorry to be such a clutz but....
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »

How do I uploud a photograph from my hard drive into the body of a message?  My intuition tells me to click on the 'insert image' short cut and then copy and paste between the brackets but that's not working for me.  Am I missing something....?  Or is it just another Senior Moment?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
Re: Sorry to be such a clutz but....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:21:29 AM »

At the bottom of the input box is + sign labelled attachments and other options; click on the plus sign then use the browse button adjacent to the attach: box to find the file you wish to attach.
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »

How do I uploud a photograph from my hard drive into the body of a message?  My intuition tells me to click on the 'insert image' short cut and then copy and paste between the brackets but that's not working for me.  Am I missing something....?  Or is it just another Senior Moment?

The [ img][ /img] tags only work for images on the internet so [ img]http://www.somewhere.com/image.jpg[ /img] would work but if the image is just on your hard drive it will not.

Solutions
(1) upload image to some web based image place, I use Picasa
(2 attach the image as an 'Attachment' using the Attachments and other options below the text entry box

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »

Be careful about file type and size ...

The latter is 256 KB maximum, whereas your raw "ex-camera" jpeg image can be a couple of megabytes.  I tend to "resample" pics to a lower pixel count, rather than reduce "save quality". It has much the same effect on file size, and your pic is generally going to be seen on pixelated screens, rather than printed out 8"x10"!

Trimming excess edges is also surprisingly effective. Your camera probably came with an app to do this, but otherwise lots of free downloads (I use Irfanview)

Final tip is to avoid highly textured areas in images - eg woollen sweater in shot. Such areas "don't compress"

This site's managers have blocked .gif or .bmp uploads (bitmaps = deeply inefficient anyway) - otherwise - look forward to your first successful upload  8)
  _       _    _      _ 

Lyra

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »

I use tinypic (www.tinypic.com) which shrinks your pic to a manageable size and writes the link code for you and everything all in one go :)

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »

Grateful thanks to you all.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal