Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Error: You don't have permission to access /index.php  (Read 29002 times)

MatthewVanitas

• Good talker
  • Hohner HA-113A - HA-112D - D Chanson re-reed
Error: You don't have permission to access /index.php
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:34:38 AM »

I've written some possible article content about the 1-row melodeon, and was trying to post it as a Reply in this thread: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,11951.0.html

However, whenever I try to post a reply, I get the following error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I had no trouble starting and posting in that same thread a few hours before, or posting in other subforums, and I got the same error on two different and unrelated computers. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:34:42 PM by Theo »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

I have had this problem a number of times, yesterday's was caused by having a 'banned word' (Cuckold, in the name of a tune) in my post.

Be careful, if you keep trying to post you will eventually have your IP address added to a banned list, I know it happened to me   ???

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

I had problems too, explains why only one thread was blighted.

Clive and Theo, is this really necessary? The group is moderated and essentially self policing with regard to profanities. These electronic PC police always seem to end in tears.

Lester, see you managed to slip the same word in today! ???
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

I had problems too, explains why only one thread was blighted.

Clive and Theo, is this really necessary? The group is moderated and essentially self policing with regard to profanities. These electronic PC police always seem to end in tears.

Lester, see you managed to slip the same word in today! ???

Theo had the word removed from the banned list

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

The word was on a ban list at server level.  I was able to get it changed on this occasion, but I'm afraid that whether we are aware of it or not these "electronic police"  are there all the time. If they were not we would all be receiving so many hundreds of spam emails every day that ordinary communication by email would be impossible.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

I've written some possible article content about the 1-row melodeon, and was trying to post it as a Reply in this thread: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,11951.0.html

However, whenever I try to post a reply, I get the following error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I had no trouble starting and posting in that same thread a few hours before, or posting in other subforums, and I got the same error on two different and unrelated computers. Thoughts?

Was it plain text you were pasting in?  Can you try pasting it in here and report back what happens please.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

MatthewVanitas

• Good talker

Ah, I had bolding and italics typed in with brackets and slashes, that might be it. Let me try removing those in a minute.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

Yes just plain text please, no HTML or other formatting is best.  The final document should be like that too, with basic formatting of headings etc added in BB code whe the article is posted.  The usual punctuation, brackets, hyphen etc should be ok.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

MatthewVanitas

• Good talker

Dangit, that was a hassle: through process of elimination, continually cutting and pasting bits in and seeing what saved and what didn't, I discovered the "dirty word" that was holding it back: suffice to say the solution was to swap out the word "on" and just say through the wrist strap by the left side of the instrument.

It wasn't the HTML together, just "strap" with that particular preposition appears to be on the dirty list, which is a bit awkward given these are melodeons we're talking about.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:44:25 PM by MatthewVanitas »

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Oh my goodness - that's just mad! Theo, can we make a case to get this naughty-word filter switched off? It's causing too many false positives. Hopefully we can keep the other bits; the anti-hacking stuff, but this word dictionary is nuts...  :o

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

I'll see what we can do.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

Thanks Theo. I would not be surprised if this was "really cheap" plug in, possibly coded as a first year project in an IT  BSc course, and importing a word list from some USA source.

As Matthew's problem with his 'strap' demonstrates (!) the effect of such a crudely modelled barrier to communication cannot be imagined or predicted. For me the issue is that it unprofessionally bangs back a  totally confusing "404 access denied" message (suggesting to me that you'd not paid the bill)!  As such this is likely to generate 'fault' correspondence for them from many, many clients, and for evermore

As the *plug-in has trapped the word or phrase, tweak of its code to return (eg) "HTTP error 405: method of sending data is not allowed. Explanation: the term 'cuckold' is forbidden in input to this server" would provide control and feedback while still holding any necessary blockade. It might save much administration in the long run

[edit] Users please note that "plug-in" seems to be permitted  ???
[edit2] .. noticed when it came up a a post. In view of the 'strap' failure, a possible oversight?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:30:25 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

911377brian

'Plug in'? That's bloody disgusting Chris.... :o

MatthewVanitas

• Good talker

Temporary workaround:

Put your hand through the str@p on the left side of the instrument.

Problem. Solved.  8)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

Temporary workaround:

Put your hand through the str@p on the left side of the instrument.

Problem. Solved.  8)

But you don't know what else will be blocked.  To make matters even less understandable the classic Scunthorpe is not blocked, neither are the words in the modest list of obscenities that I know.  ;)  I've asked if we can be allowed to avoid this word list
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

Apparently the only way to avoid this is to turn off mod_security which could have other consequences so we will just have to use workarounds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy

Currently having this problem. Have removed all "suspect" words I can think of, but still cannot post....
Any advice???
Thx

Edited; sorted. Only just occurred to me that "the act of fixing reedplates to the blocks with threaded pieces of metal" could trip the "naughty word" switch.

Nailed? Pinned? Waxed? Seem OK, but not the "s" word.

Duh!!!    :o

MC
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:07:45 PM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

I too can live with this - even though it's not really fit for purpose - it it?

The problem is wrt the naive or new user who posts something that looks perfectly innocent, and all he gets is a block and a pathetic "you don't have permission to access /index.php" message.  If they could change that to something more meaningful, ideally citing whatever blo0dy :|bl word that caused the net-nanny to trigger, I think we'd have a solution  ::)

I see Theo took this to Ariotek's forum owners forum however, where on one else has chipped in with a similar issue. It may be problem may be that we are isolated in using heritage English words in their original sense, when the world has moved on to something more earthy.

I have to say that I do find s¢rewed an odd word for censure :o ... but was pleased to discover today that this list is one of the few things that doesn't contain "nuts"  ;)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:04:09 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy

Hmmm. Could have used a ¢ I suppose; or a k even; wasn't feeling very inventive yesterday....

Only found this thread by accident and in frustration at failed posts
Perhaps its existence could be better publicised....

Lesson learned; at least I'll know next time   (:)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:34:20 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

MatthewVanitas

• Good talker

This is getting annoying: I wrote some long-ish post starter about Skype lessons for the 1-row, and when I hit "submit" I got the same error. Unfortunately, when I went back a page it had wiped my whole post. Usually on FireFox if I get an error and go back the old post is still on the page, but for whatever nature of thie "Permission to access /index.php" error I'm finding that it's unusually blanking out my whole post if I page back from it.

In fairness, it's always a good idea to hit "Ctr-A, Ctr-C" to preserve a long post on one's clipboard before posting, but optimally that should be an unnecessary precaution. I'll hold off on re-writing my post until the annoyance of losing it passes.  :P

The problem is wrt the naive or new user who posts something that looks perfectly innocent, and all he gets is a block

Oh yes. I was getting really annoyed at it when I didn't know why it was happening, but persisted and then came here to ask for help because I really want to participate in this board. Had this been more of a passing interest I would've just figured the forum was down or my IP range was a no-go or something and just wandered off. So a less obscure error message would be less off-putting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal