Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Totally new to all this.  (Read 5469 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Totally new to all this.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

the diatonic ("only the white keys of a piano") scale

That applies only to the scale of C major (or A minor - but strictly that's a mode rather than a key, so let's not go there at the moment). For a fuller definition of "diatonic" start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_scale

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »

... or try  http://chrisryall.net/modes

I wrote it for generic D/G, mainly because I tired of explaining why some minor scale tunes on our instrument use different chording. All the page's examples refer to D-row modes and so may or may not correspond to notes on your instrument. But the run (technically the "intervals") of the 7 modes still apply, and there are midi examples. Just play them into your ear and then try to recreate their "feel" by systematically starting scales on notes 1,2,3 etc of your keyboard.

Warning - a standard 2 button left end will only really harmonise against modes 1, and 5.
  _       _    _      _ 

MatthewVanitas

• Good talker
  • Hohner HA-113A - HA-112D - D Chanson re-reed
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »

That applies only to the scale of C major

Meh, pitch is an artificial construct.  ;)

But yes I agree in that a piano's white keys are all based in Cmaj, but a 1-row is the same scale capability, transposed to whatever pitch.

My basic gist being that, like the Appalachian dulcimer, a 1-row is "restricted" to only certain keys, but the great upside of this is the instrument inherently "wants" to sound good despite even amateur efforts. I'm happy for the OP and his new hobby in any case. Just hoping to hear more about what it's pitched in.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »

I think what everyone is trying to say is that the standard 2 row is two pianos, one tuned a tone sharp and one tuned a lot sharp, glued together, with the white notes all together and (sometimes) a few black notes all at the low end. 
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal