Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing and drinking is way too hard!  (Read 9507 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: Playing and drinking is way too hard!
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »

I didn't realise you could get 7 pints into a Trombone, you can get a Litre into a Bugle however.
 And the river Sid into a Melodeon.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »

I was once with Aly Bain in a bar at York Uni after a long day folk festivalling and supping.

He had drunk so much that he couldn't stand or speak. But the B*gger could still play fiddle like a man possessed, in obscure keys like F, in tune, and in time!  (as long as we held him up on the stool that he was sitting on.....)   :|glug

When my old mate Steve Thompson was the young lad in our band he could pretty much do the same on his melodeon, except he used a chair, and kept falling off it sideways.

I reckon that once you have a very solid technique you can play well even when the rest of your body has started to slur   :|glug
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »

Ha! Drunkards ( without prejudice  Nick Collis Bird, Paul Havell, Steve Davies, Vin Garbutt, Tony Capstick , Mike Harding  etc. all could play or sing whilst under the " Influence"
Anyone remember the Rum and Beetroot workshop 1976 at Sidmouth ?
 Can't remember the name of the pub now, but the landlords were Ted and Mary. A whole gang of us played underneath a table all "under the influence" and not a wrong note played.
I must suppose, that it all depends on your alcohol tolerance and how well you know your instrument/s
  I'm sure it's possible to go into automatic.
Apologies to all those of that amazing gang whose names I have left out ( again without prejudice )
 Oh! Graham Mathews, Martin Smith etc.
  For the Rum and Beetroot workshop rules you can always PM me!! But the last one was held over 30 years ago. :-\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:00:00 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

There was an Irish box player who was the mainstay of many sessions in Cambridge in the '70s - drank a bit (1), and I distinctly remember once seeing him slowly keel over sideways while in the middle of playing a reel, and the person sitting next to him gently pushed him back upright on his seat... he didn't miss a note  :||: :|glug
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

There was an Irish box player who was the mainstay of many sessions in Cambridge in the '70s - drank a bit (1), and I distinctly remember once seeing him slowly keel over sideways while in the middle of playing a reel, and the person sitting next to him gently pushed him back upright on his seat... he didn't miss a note  :||: :|glug

I rest my case :-*

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »

I'm told (though I can't remember it myself) of a Smiffs musician who once imbibed so much Belgian beer that he was still playing -- allegedly musically -- in the bar while being kept from falling over only because he was wedged diagonally by his top hat against the curved icehouse roof...

(Slightly off topic because it doesn't involve a melodeon): Ian's anecdote reminds me of an occasion at Bromyard late one night when a combined Hammersmith* and Bath City side were dancing to the strains of a very drunk Tubby Reynolds leaning against the back of a van whilst playing Queen's Delight. He began to slide slowly down the back of that van and didn't play a wrong note until his backside hit the floor, at which point he fell asleep!

* It was so long ago that he term 'Smiffs' hadn't been coined then!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

AirTime

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »

This thread has got legs ...  :|glug
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »

Wow Bob,  dear Tubby Reynolds. What a folk statesman! He was a genuine Icon. Well appreciated and greatly missed.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 09:30:19 PM »

Way, way back, 1970's, Aly Bain in Boston, drunk as a skunk, but, geez could he play!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »

I have exactly the same memory of Ali playing in Darlington with Mike Wheelan, approx Feb 1971.  I next met him at a mid 70's Cambridge May Ball in "Boys of the Lough", little different,  I suspect he'd drunk more fizz than me. At the time I didn't frankly expect him to see out the 80s, let alone the Millennium, but fortunately for Folk Music there seems to have been no problem in that respect :D
  _       _    _      _ 

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »

Anyone remember the Rum and Beetroot workshop 1976 at Sidmouth ?

Me...I've still got my medal.... (:)

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »

I rest my case :-*

A resting case is very useful to prop you up when you're drunk....  >:E
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »

1 pint= The audience can hear some really nice tunes and the dancers can dance at the tempo I am playing.

2 pints=  The audience can hear some really nice tunes but the dancers get a bit puffed.

3 pints=  The audience can hear some better tunes and the dancers under 25 can still dance.

4 pints= The tunes are fantastic. Only a few dancers getting up to dance

5 pints= I have played tunes I did not think I could play, the dancers have all sat down

6 pints= I have never played so well in my life

7 pints= I have just realised I can also play the drums

8 pints= 1 gallon and I can hear the rest of the band but I cannot find my way back from the toilet.

8-12 pints= I can't understand why my fingers no longer do what I want them to do, so I decide to play the Devil Amongst the Tailors, really fast , in A major, to see if I can make them work again.

12 pints= Out of the corner of my eyes I notice that the dancers are dancing again, carefully stepping over me and the box. There seem to be twice as many dancers as when we started

:|glug

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »

...and the floor has become alot harder to hold on to...

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 08:52:21 PM »

Those lists remind me of a famous jazz musician's (sorry, don't remember who it was) description of what happened if he didn't practice.
Miss a day: I notice
Miss two days: my band notices
Miss three days: my audience notices

Of course the difference with beer is the discrepancy between your own perception and everyone else's...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »

13 pints=I start to sing a folk song that I dont know all the words to.    ::)

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »

I do remember one hard drinking session at Warwick folk festival (at the Woodman), where a wide eyed lass at the bar said, you lot can hardly walk straight to the bar, but you can still play that well.

Practice me dear ... hic  :|glug :||: :|glug :||: :|glug

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »

I do remember one hard drinking session at Warwick folk festival (at the Woodman), where a wide eyed lass at the bar said, you lot can hardly walk straight to the bar, but you can still play that well.

Practice me dear ... hic  :|glug :||: :|glug :||: :|glug

;)

The real issue, of course, is that if you play and drink at the same time there is a high risk of spilling the drink......

Which is why I once toyed with the idea of attaching a cycle bottle holder to the Pokerwork, with a long straw, so that I could refresh myself whilst playing for the full version of Longborough Old Trunkles.

>:E

deltasalmon

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »

I think I first found this video clip on this forum somewhere but you should practice this one, Pikey.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »

I think I first found this video clip on this forum somewhere but you should practice this one, Pikey.

I LOVE it!!   :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal