Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rules/customs for melodeon (mileoidean) at the Fleadh?  (Read 8989 times)

MatthewVanitas

• Good talker
  • Hohner HA-113A - HA-112D - D Chanson re-reed
Re: Rules/customs for melodeon (mileoidean) at the Fleadh?
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 01:15:27 AM »

I'm still fixing to contact the Comhaltas folks eventually to see if they have any nice and precise rules for melodeon, or if it's pretty relative.

I was tempted to add that one would not bring a broad sword to a fencing tournament,
or a cross bow to a bow and arrow tournament, or a fishing pole to a fly fishing competition,

That's just the thing, a fencing foil for example is defined as the foil blade is no more than 90 cm in length with a blunted (or foiled) tip. The maximum length of the assembled weapon is 110 cm; the maximum weight is 500g

Not to get overly anal-retentive here, I'm just curious whether Comhaltas has some kind of definition of melodeon which is "having no more than 11 but no fewer than 9 buttons all uniformly in a row, with at least two but no more than four banks of reeds of which all but one must have a stop..." But like you say, about all I can do is ask them. Though I won't be at all surprised if it's just the old Justice Stewart line: "I know a melodeon when I see it."

All that aside, I'd been wondering before why there aren't a ton of Fleadh clips on YouTube, and though many of y'all already know this it was news to me when I discovered said clips on the Comhaltas.ie site. Here's all their items specifically tagged melodeon: http://comhaltas.ie/music/tag/Melodeon

A lot of the clips are also licensed Creative Commons and are free downloads, so I put together a little Fleadh playlist for myself. Better still, they're pure solo 'box, so will be great learning fodder in the Slower-Downer.

Cag

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 08:19:54 AM »

They don't give you access to the competition clips because you would be able to second guess the judges...

LDbosca

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »

They don't give you access to the competition clips because you would be able to second guess the judges...

And do what about it??
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal