Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bayans  (Read 2524 times)

deltasalmon

Bayans
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:12:40 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290950883461?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Instruments like this are the same note in both directions right?

The reeds look like they're individually mounted. Would it be possible to take something like this and replace the reeds with DBA reeds to have a 25 key DBA with a mini-stradella bass?
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Bayans
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290950883461?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Instruments like this are the same note in both directions right?

The reeds look like they're individually mounted. Would it be possible to take something like this and replace the reeds with DBA reeds to have a 25 key DBA with a mini-stradella bass?

I was given one of these in my attic. The bass layout is not as one would expect. I can sometimes get a tune out of it, but mostly I remain confused ???
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:58:11 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

deltasalmon

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »

I was surprised to see that one of the bass keys is the air button. I didn't notice it didn't have one on the side until I looked at the inside.

The bass layout isn't in the stradella layout? Root, major, minor?
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

Bass and treble layouts on Wikipedia article on Garmon

Interesting box because it's diatonic (plays in one key) but unisonoric (push/pull same note)
Typically played by the Russians in C major and (especially) A minor but with rich repertoire of related chords.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

deltasalmon

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

Interesting box because it's diatonic (plays in one key) but unisonoric (push/pull same note)
Typically played by the Russians in C major and (especially) A minor but with rich repertoire of related chords.

Thanks for the layout. That certainly isn't what I was expecting on the bass side.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »

It's a bit confusing, the seller calling this a "Bayan". It's a Garmon, as previously indicated:

"Bayan" is normally used to describe a B-system CBA. See Wikipedia Bayan. While the term was used originally for Russian instruments, e.g. Jupiter, some Western makers are describing their free-bass and converter instruments, intended for classical music, as "bayans", e.g. this Pigini Bayan.

KLR

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »

I was surprised to see that one of the bass keys is the air button. I didn't notice it didn't have one on the side until I looked at the inside.

The bass layout isn't in the stradella layout? Root, major, minor?

That's funny, I have a 3 row 100 bass Kremmenoe B griff bayan, which sports neither frame straps nor an air button.  I like telling people that these niceties were considered counter-revolutionary etc...

Your post inspired me to try every button on the left side in search of that elusive air release; no luck.  Guess you're just supposed to push a handful of buttons at once - which works just as fine, btw. 

Bayans have other trademark features, as listed in that wiki, which may or may not be present, I'd think - later today I think I'll open mine up to see if the reeds are mounted on a plate instead of waxed in - have never checked out its guts.   Maybe the air release mechanism is on the inside and some absentminded worker neglected to add the button...

Reading about garmons this eBay box could be almost anything, so caveat emptor.  Unisonoric, bisonoric, who knows, and good luck getting the seller to test it out.  I like the model with the bells that sound when you push certain buttons, wtf...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal