Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Belows reduction...?  (Read 2412 times)

911377brian

Belows reduction...?
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »

I have been given a 1040 that has the last two folds of the bellows practically destroyed by rats, to the extent that repairs are out of the question. If I cut the damaged folds away and re attached the bellows frame I wonder how playable it would be? I seldom extend the bellows very far when I'm playing so I don't think that would be too much of a problem but would the dynamics be affected in ways that haven't occurred to me? It's not as if I'm short of boxes to play, I'm just intrigued by the situation..... ???

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Belows reduction...?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »

I have done this with a set of bellows with one dodgy fold with little or no effect on the playability of the box. If the bellows are as far gone as you say you have nothing to lose.

911377brian

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »

Thanks for that Lester, I wondered if it might blow out a reed or two, but as you say, there's nothing to lose...

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »

Shortening the bellows won't affect the air pressure, that's a function of the manual pressure applied across the cross section.  It will reduce the absolute capacity of air available, but if you never come close to fully extending them, you may not notice the difference.  Each fold will have to articulte a little more, so toward full extension they may feel stiffer.  Go for it, you've nothing to lose!

Rob.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »

I had to remove a fold from a recently acquired Preciosa.
Personally I think it made it a better player; more control and less sag.
Too many folds on these anyway imho. Toying with the idea of removing another....
Of course, the bellows lock no longer worked, but I usually replace these anyway, preferring a pair of external bellows straps.

OP Brian, you will obviously have to shorten your bellows straps if you go ahead....

A warning to owners of other models though; many yeas ago I removed a couple of damaged bellows folds from a Club model (can't remember which model). Unfortunately the result was that the bass reed blocks collided with the treble blocks upon closing. Luckily, there was sufficient thickness to the tops of the offending blocks for me to plane them down just enough to prevent them colliding. However if I had taken out another fold....

No such problem on a 1140 as the treble reeds are flat mounted and there's acres of space.

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

911377brian

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »

Lester, Malcolm and Rob... Well, the deed has been done and it doesn't seem to play any differently to any of my other 1040's. I obviously don't know what it would have played like before the surgery....Anyway, I've passed it on to a local 12 year old who is now almost proficient with the Wincester Gallop ...... :||: (:)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »

Lester, Malcolm and Rob... Well, the deed has been done and it doesn't seem to play any differently to any of my other 1040's. I obviously don't know what it would have played like before the surgery....Anyway, I've passed it on to a local 12 year old who is now almost proficient with the Wincester Gallop ...... :||: (:)

Well done that man!

ps it's Winster

911377brian

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »

:|bl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal