Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is this?  (Read 1843 times)

Leah

what is this?
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »

Hi.  I am new to this forum and melodeons so please forgive my ignorance.  I was recently given what was called a "squeeze box" which had been sitting in a family barn for YEARS after being brought over from England.  An accordian type instrument with 10 ivory buttons numbered 1-10 on one end and 6 (separated into 2 groups) penny sized holes covered from the inside on the other end.  The center 2 holes have tall buttons like what a trumpet would have.  I can't tell whether the other holes had buttons at one time or not.  The measurements of this "squeeze box" closed are roughly 5 3/4" x 5" x 10" (includes the button boards - 5 3/4" not including them).  Above the 10 ivory buttons an inscription reads "Made in Saxony" then "Trade Mark" below.  On either side there is a set of crossed skeleton keys inside a clover.  On the top or the bottom on one end (I don't know which is which) are 2 pretty embossed knobs with a brass plaque directly above on the leather.  The plaque reads "MUSICAL INSTRUMENT MAKERS" (first line)  "E. KOHLER & SON" (second line) "EDINBURGH" (third line).
I am having a devil of a time finding out anything about this instrument (age, type, etc.) and the makers, whom I've read made hunting horns but nothing about squeeze boxes, melodeons, or accordions.  Does anyone have any ideas or information?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:09:37 PM by Leah »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: what is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »

If you could post a picture or two someone here is sure to be able to help.  To post a picture either put in a weblink to the photo, or click on "+ Additional Options"  below the box where you type your message
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal