- 11 (15.1%)
Haste to the Wedding
- 4 (5.5%)
Le Lac De St-Croix
- 27 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: June 01, 2013, 09:33:24 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for June 2013  (Read 8960 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for June 2013
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:18:17 AM »

Here we go folks - it's votin' time!

First up, last month's runner's up -Thème Vannetais. Here's Lester playing this tune of indeterminate origin that keeps popping up in unusual places: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DceTa6GymCw

Gavin's just posted a very nice tutorial for Salmon Tails up the Water... so let's use it! A cracking tune that we've not even voted on before, I believe - here's the video: http://youtu.be/klz9tbU3etE

I think we've voted on Haste to the Wedding before (the royal wedding I believe); it didn't make it, but it deserves another go. I've been listening to John Gannon's version on Spotify, and it's great played at a steady pace yet with drive. Wouldn't you know it? Gavin's got a video for that too! Here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZYwzuOlNI

And with Naragonia back in the UK, let's try again with Pascale Rubens' Le lac de St-Croix - and this time, we have a video of it too, here played by our own docEdock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5jAyyZFOyE

Code: [Select]
X:7
T:Le lac de St-Croix
C:Pascale Rubens
O:Belgium
B:Naragonia Tune Book, 2010
M:9/8
L:1/8
K:C
|:"Cmaj7"D2C3G3C|"Em7"D2B,3G3B,|"Dm7"D2Fc2B3A|"G7sus4"G3D6|
|"Cmaj7"D2C3G3C|"Em7"D2B,3G3B,|"Dm7"z3d2cB2c|"G7sus4"[G3B3][D6G6]:|
|"Dm7"F2Ae2d3c|"G9"B3B2cd3|"Cmaj7"z2E[c2e2]E[c2e2]E|"Am"c3B3A3|
|"Dm7"F2Ae2d3c|"G9"B3B2cd3|"Cmaj7"E2Gd2c3B|"Am"c3B3A3:|
W:©2008 Pascale Rubens. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

There we go folks; happy voting!

Clive

waltzman

Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for June 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »

Here is Pascale Rubens playing Le Lac de St. Croix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpAqVJL23I0

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »

Very nice tunes. The salmon tune is almost identical to the Irish polka Siege of Ennis! They must be the same tune but Irish vs English versions??

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »

The salmon tune is almost identical to the Irish polka Siege of Ennis! They must be the same tune but Irish vs English versions??

They are indeed the same tune, I'm not sure of it's provenance but the Irish do have a habit of claiming every half decent tune for the tradition or so I'm led to believe!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »

X:503
T:Thème Vannetais
M:4/4
K:Em
E2 B2 B2 AB|G2 E2 E4|A2 AG F2 FE|DE FA G2 F2|
E2 B2 B2 AB|G2 E2 E4|A2 AG F2 FE|DE FA E4:|
EF GF EF GF|EF GA B2 G2|DE FE D3 E|F2 A2 G2 F2|
EF GF EF GF|EF GA B2 G2|DE FE D3 A|G2 F2 E4:|

X:427
T:Salmon Tails Up the Water
M:4/4
K:G
G2E2D2E2|G4G3A|B2d2A2BA|G2E2D4|
G2E2D2E2|G4G3A|B2d2A2BA|(G4G4):|
B2d2d4|c2e2e4|d2B2A2BA|G2E2D4|
B2d2d4|c2e2e3f|g2f2e2d2|e2f2g4|
B2d2d4|c2e2e4|d2B2A2BA|G2E2D4|
G2E2D2E2|G4G3A|B2d2A2BA|(G4G4)||

X:195
T:Haste to the Wedding
M:6/8
K:G
D2D D2B|AGA BGE|D2D D2B|cBc ABc|
DED D2B|AGA BGE|D2D G2A|BGG G3:|
Bcd dcB|cde edc|Bcd dcB|cBc ABc|
d3B3|AGA BGE|DED G2A|BGG G3:|
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:42:51 PM by Theo »

docEdock

• Respected Sage
  • Hohners, Gaillards, Castagnaris
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:16:48 AM »

I'm hoping that Le lac de St-Croix pulls ahead, for the most craven reasons. I'll be in Belgium in a month and might get to name drop the TOTM status at a festival where Ms. Rubens is offering a workshop. Plus it really is a lovely tune and it would be fascinating to see what others do with it.
How difficult can it be?
http://loafingaboard.blogspot.com/

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

Could I please be cheeky and submit a version of Salmon Tails? Just I already knew about the tune and I can actually play it  (:) ? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »

***PEDANT ALERT***

Whether or not it wins the poll, can we please spell (and pronounce) correctly the name of the tune that is currently in the lead in this month's poll. It should be spelt Thème Vannetais and pronounced Temm Vannetay. Le Vannetais is the name of the region around the town of Vannes in Britanny and also of the inhabitants of Vannes.

***PEDANT ALERT ENDS***      ....or perhaps not!  >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »

***PEDANT ALERT***

Whether or not it wins the poll, can we please spell (and pronounce) correctly the name of the tune that is currently in the lead in this month's poll. It should be spelt Thème Vannetais and pronounced Temm Vannetay. Le Vannetais is the name of the region around the town of Vannes in Britanny and also of the inhabitants of Vannes.

Mostly around here it's called Twiglet!   ;)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »

***PEDANT ALERT***

Bob

I've been through this thread and corrected the spelling.  I've also taken the editors prerogative and changed Salmon Tails up the River to Salmon Tails up the Water, which is the title I've seen on all the printed sources I'm aware of.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Roger Howard

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 08:34:31 PM »

I'm hoping that Le lac de St-Croix pulls ahead, for the most craven reasons. I'll be in Belgium in a month and might get to name drop the TOTM status at a festival where Ms. Rubens is offering a workshop. Plus it really is a lovely tune and it would be fascinating to see what others do with it.

Lucky you. She's an excellent teacher. It is a lovely tune ... If only I understood the chords!

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »

***PEDANT ALERT***

Whether or not it wins the poll, can we please spell (and pronounce) correctly the name of the tune that is currently in the lead in this month's poll. It should be spelt Thème Vannetais and pronounced Temm Vannetay.

Mostly around here it's called Twiglet!   ;)

Philistine!  ;)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 10:35:28 PM »

***PEDANT ALERT***

Bob

I've been through this thread and corrected the spelling.  I've also taken the editors prerogative and changed Salmon Tails up the River to Salmon Tails up the Water, which is the title I've seen on all the printed sources I'm aware of.

Thanks, Theo. You're a gentleman! I hope it didn't take up too much of your time.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »

I've also taken the editors prerogative and changed Salmon Tails up the River to Salmon Tails up the Water, which is the title I've seen on all the printed sources I'm aware of.

Ta, I thought it was just me. I'm quite used to seeing this as the Siege of Ennis but I've not seen it as Salmon Tails 'Up The River' before. I'm much more laid back about the mis-spelling of Twiglet because the proper accents etc aren't easily available to non geeks and the English don't do languages anyway. It's nicknamed Twiglet because the border morris lot have a dance of this name that they dance to the tune of Thème Vannetais. The one that really gets my goat is the LNB Polka, properly named La Roulante, a tune written by Jean Blanchard and I really don't understand why it gained another, Anglicised name, as nobody has claimed it as composer under that name as far as I'm aware.  ::)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »

Crook Morris, Jet Set and Riknild Rabble also do a Border Morris dance to Thème Vannetais. It was devised by Martyn Harvey in memory of Alan Stewart who died suddenly whilst dancing with Jet Set. The dance is called Knickers in the Hedgerow and I have tried to discourage our musicians from referring to the tune as Knickers.

As regards The LNB Polka, Tallship, I share your frustration. It is disrespectful to Jean Blanchard to call it anything other than La Roulante. I believe that members of Blowzabella were the first to call it The LNB Polka after the band they first heard playing the tune. I assume that they did not know its origin and true name.

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »

The salmon tune is almost identical to the Irish polka Siege of Ennis! They must be the same tune but Irish vs English versions??

They are indeed the same tune, I'm not sure of it's provenance but the Irish do have a habit of claiming every half decent tune for the tradition or so I'm led to believe!

More specifically in this case, there are any number of polkas or sets of polkas that are known by people as "The siege of Ennis" as they have been used by a musician or band for that dance.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »

I know it as "Salmon Tails Up The Water" as well, and I've always thought of it as a Northumbrian tune. If I remember correctly, the first time I ever heard it was by a North West morris side at Whitby decades ago; it's in the Northumbrian Pipers' Tune Book and features in the repertoire of many North-Eastern musicians. And many non-North-Eastern ones as well!
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »

there are any number of polkas or sets of polkas that are known by people as "The siege of Ennis" as they have been used by a musician or band for that dance.

Quite so. "Siege of Ennis" is an Irish dance, typically done at a real Irish ceili to all sorts of different tunes (e.g. reels, polkas, jigs). The figures remain the same, the stepping changes to suit the tune.

There is also a tune played by The Old Swan Band and friends, called The Freedom of Ireland, which is similar to Salmon Tails but characterised by going into  E minor at the end of both halves of the tune. Is that the one we're talking about?
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »

Come on chaps we need a bit more support for T... V...

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »

This is blatant canvassing  >:( Why, he'll be voting for his own suggestion next  ::)
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal