- 11 (15.1%)
Haste to the Wedding
- 4 (5.5%)
Le Lac De St-Croix
- 27 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: June 01, 2013, 09:33:24 PM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for June 2013  (Read 8938 times)

AirTime

Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for June 2013
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »

Seems like we've had a number of Morris tunes recently, so time for something a little more "sophisticated" IMO.

And Le Lac de St-Croix might actually give Lester a new tune to tackle!  ;)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »

Seems like we've had a number of Morris tunes recently, so time for something a little more "sophisticated" IMO.

That's fightin' talk....... :M ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »

Thème Vannetais isn't really a Morris tune. It was written as a Breton an dro and when played as such the tempo is faster than when played for the Border Morris dances to which it has been adapted.

...I warned you that the Pedant Alert might not have ended!  >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

AirTime

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »

Thème Vannetais isn't really a Morris tune.

Yes, I realized that, but it seems to have been morrised - "Twiglet" doesn't have a particularly Breton ring to it!

That's fightin' talk....... 

I also realized that! Hey, I enjoy a good Morris tune as much as the next squeezer, but I do like variety ...  (:)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

docEdock

• Respected Sage
  • Hohners, Gaillards, Castagnaris
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »

. . .
I've been through this thread and corrected the spelling.  I've also taken the editors prerogative and changed Salmon Tails up the River to Salmon Tails up the Water, which is the title I've seen on all the printed sources I'm aware of.

Uh oh. I see that in the ABC for Le lac de St-Croix I misspelled Ms. Rubens as Pascal whereas she signs her name Pascale. Alas, my mistake has rippled through TOTM and into posts by others. So Theo, in the interest of accuracy, can you globally update her name? Or is this something I can do?

Doc
How difficult can it be?
http://loafingaboard.blogspot.com/

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 11:41:07 PM »

Done
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »

Oh blimey... I seem to have got the name of a tune wrong again, only this time it's Salmon Tails. Sorry and all that - though in my defence Googling around it seems there are other folks who call it by the name I have it by, and maybe I learned it from one of them. Or maybe I just got it wrong. I'm not great with names...

Gav

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »

Oh dear. It looks like I am just going to have to hope TV gets back on the poll for next month, though there is just time to save it. Vote vote vote!

Etienne

• Student in push-pull things
  • Regular debater
    • ça s'pousse et ça s'tire
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »

Oh dear. It looks like I am just going to have to hope TV gets back on the poll for next month, though there is just time to save it. Vote vote vote!

Wow, it's seems that TOTM begins to looks like a real election campaign... If TV don't win this month i will do some badges and t-shirts for the next time. And don't forget, voting is not just a right, it's a duty !

TV for president NOW !  >:E
Old hohner and old Dedenis
http://pousser-tirer.blogspot.com

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »

Going to run the poll for (nearly) one more day, partly to let the current deadlock resolve itself - remember folks, you can change vote - but mostly because I'm not near a PC right now. ;)

Cheers, Clive

rabblebox

• The Pheasant Has No Agenda
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »

Crook Morris, Jet Set and Riknild Rabble also do a Border Morris dance to Thème Vannetais. It was devised by Martyn Harvey in memory of Alan Stewart who died suddenly whilst dancing with Jet Set. The dance is called Knickers in the Hedgerow and I have tried to discourage our musicians from referring to the tune as Knickers.

As regards The LNB Polka, Tallship, I share your frustration. It is disrespectful to Jean Blanchard to call it anything other than La Roulante. I believe that members of Blowzabella were the first to call it The LNB Polka after the band they first heard playing the tune. I assume that they did not know its origin and true name.

with Ryknild we tend to put in a few harmonies and double up the notes where we can so that the tune sounds slightly different to normal
I think we should have it as tune of the month heehee  >:E  :||:

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 11:23:36 PM »

Crook Morris, Jet Set and Riknild Rabble also do a Border Morris dance to Thème Vannetais. It was devised by Martyn Harvey in memory of Alan Stewart who died suddenly whilst dancing with Jet Set. The dance is called Knickers in the Hedgerow and I have tried to discourage our musicians from referring to the tune as Knickers.

As regards The LNB Polka, Tallship, I share your frustration. It is disrespectful to Jean Blanchard to call it anything other than La Roulante. I believe that members of Blowzabella were the first to call it The LNB Polka after the band they first heard playing the tune. I assume that they did not know its origin and true name.

with Ryknild we tend to put in a few harmonies and double up the notes where we can so that the tune sounds slightly different to normal
I think we should have it as tune of the month heehee  >:E  :||:

Already done of course  ;D My understanding is that Blowzabella had no idea of the origins of the tune when they first captured it, but corrected that in later editions of the tune book. In fact, when we chose it as TOTM, I contacted Alan Lamb of the Late Night Band as I had assumed he'd written it; he politely pointed me in the right direction!

rabblebox

• The Pheasant Has No Agenda
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »

sounds cool :-)

I'll have to give the band at Ryknild that little slice of knowledge at practice in the morning  :D

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »

We do that at Crook as well. I will try to find time in my busy schedule this month to post a recording of how we (or at least I) play it.

My problem is that we also play the tune as a Breton an dro in Les Panards Dansants , but it goes at a much faster lick and with a slightly different rhythm than when I play it for Crook Morris.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal