Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I didn't give up melodeon  (Read 5120 times)

911377brian

Re: Why I didn't give up melodeon
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »

This subject kind of reverberated with me. I never went to university, but I did spend my life at sea in a variety of capacities and situations. I wouldn't pretend that it was all runs ashore and sunsets, but settling in as a landsman  after half a century on the water h as, in retrospect,been quite shocking. It has taken some time get my head around the situation. Can't tell you how much the melodeon has helped.....it will all come right Ollie.. :||: ;)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »

Late to the thread as ever, but here's my thoughts on this....

First statement, Owen, you're a great player, one of the best 'up and coming' ones in the UK I would say. Note the tense there. You're already a great player, not 'you're going to be a great player if you practice lots and lots'.

... which kind of links into the main thrust of my thought. This is a bit like life in general really; there is a lot to be said for enjoying where you are now, and making great music with the skills you already have; you see, the music is the endgame here, not the playing technique. The playing technique helps you create the music. Use your existing technique to explore and play music that you love and enjoy playing. Don't play stuff that you don't like; the right music should make you happy and relaxed, and actually be a valuable relaxation tool when the rest of life is pounding on you a little. If it's not, and it's stressing you out, even though it's music you like, you're trying too hard. Try something a little less intense, and that you can enjoy playing without too much effort.

... which doesn't mean don't try to improve yourself; by all means do, and it's fun, but especially if you're exhausted with other parts of your life, and don't have much time for playing, you probably won't manage to make large strides. Recognise that, stop beating yourself up, and leave the intense stuff for the time when you can do it justice.

... and another thing. Plateaus. Everyone has these; even professional players - if you think about it, how many professional players do you know who have visibly and noticeably improved their playing in the last 2 years? It's a simple law of diminishing returns; you get to a point where huge amounts of effort produce marginally little improvement in playing technique... because you've already done all the huge strides. So don't be surprised if you find progress slowing down.

... and finally, there are little moments all along the way, such as for me this afternoon, when I'm sitting on the garden swing in the sunshine, playing through some of my Vivant stuff for next weekend's concert (plug, plug) on the ol' Rowbotham/Gibb 12 bass preciosa, kids giggling uncontrollably at the end of the garden as they waterfight with each other, thinking... this is *nice*. Not just that the music's nice (which of course it is!)... but that the whole experience is nice, and that I'm very lucky to be able to relax into music like that.

Cheers,

Clive

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »

Very wise words Clive.
A lot to reflect on for all of us as well as Owen.
Thank you for these thoughts
Q
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:45:49 AM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »

Agreed! Thank you very much for the responses, it helps that I know that others have been in the same position and have come through it (:) You are all, as previously stated, lovely people!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »

Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »

I already get up at 0630... and I think that my other half, who doesn't wake up till 8, would not approve if I started playing box early in the morning :P

Not for the last 15 years or so but for three decades before that I started work at 6 am on a daily basis, an eight hour shift was a luxury, ten hours was more the norm. These days I'm up at 6.30 like you, start work at 8am and finish at 5.00 or perhaps 5.30pm. It's what people do to survive in this world and it really isn't that hard in comparison to what has gone before. You just need to take a long hard look at your life, decide what you want most from it and act accordingly. It's really not that difficult when you square up and decide what the priorities are.

I think that like most of us you need to grow up enough to realise that your career comes first in order to provide for your home and family. A long way behind that are your hobbies and interests. So tell me Owen, on a scale of one to ten where does melodeon playing sit in comparison to your ambitions to be a husband and father in the not too distant future?
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

dunlustin

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »

Forty years on I still value the memory of processing through Winchester on the Sunday morning of a Ring Meeting - buried in the throng of a couple of hundred like-minded men.
Also I remember someone commenting on how beautiful a song was and responding "Yes, You're absolutely right." That song was beautiful in its own right. I might have given it a little push into the room but it wasn't beautiful because of me.
The strongest moments are when the performer takes second place to the material.

It is striking how often the word "I" appears in your piece.
If you're bored have you tried checking how the audience looks.
How did those expert dancers feel about your “Zen and the Art of Musical Fumbling”  moment .

Like all work, teaching has big chunks of routine - boredom you might say. Decades ago a student who had not spoken for years chose to speak to me. It was only the quietest of whispers but the memory still moves me. From that day she literally found her voice.

Are you sure, Owen, you are looking in the right place?

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »

I think that like most of us you need to grow up enough to realise that your career comes first in order to provide for your home and family. A long way behind that are your hobbies and interests. So tell me Owen, on a scale of one to ten where does melodeon playing sit in comparison to your ambitions to be a husband and father in the not too distant future?

If I knew the answer to that question then things would be a lot easier.

It is striking how often the word "I" appears in your piece.
If you're bored have you tried checking how the audience looks.
How did those expert dancers feel about your “Zen and the Art of Musical Fumbling”  moment .

The Reel Club mostly dance to recorded music. I discussed it with them well beforehand, and again to inform them that I was less well prepared than I might like (and offered to pull out). The conclusion was that they would rather have slightly wobbly live music than recorded music. And far from stumbling, I was pretty steady throughout the vast majority of the evening.

I love performing, especially performing solo and am always acutely aware of my audience. To suggest otherwise is to my ears an insult.

Like all work, teaching has big chunks of routine - boredom you might say. Decades ago a student who had not spoken for years chose to speak to me. It was only the quietest of whispers but the memory still moves me. From that day she literally found her voice.

Are you sure, Owen, you are looking in the right place?

Personally I find that mysticism does not counteract misery sufficiently to make a difference. YMMV.

dunlustin

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »

Sorry, I just thought you might be far enough down the road to be jogged into a litle reflection.

My anecdote was not about mysticism - you wouldn't make the comment if you understood anything about long-term elective mutism.

I had hesitated to respond to your original post but like another poster was rather worried about you. Sometimes it's not enough for your mates to pretend it'll be fine in a minute.

I think you would find professional advice helpful. Much of what you write looks rather like depression. I am however puzzled by the way your doubts are offset by an unjustified amount of self belief.
Worryingly your protests are contradicted by your own accounts.
You're a young man, don't be over-sensitive I'm trying to say something useful. There is a book jointly written by Dr Anthony Clare (psychiatrist) and Spike Milligan. I don't remember the title but thoroughly recommend the book - it gave me a number of insights.
Mark Twain (I think)  "When I was 16 my Dad was a complete idiot. By the time I was 25 it was  amazing how much he had learnt."
It was a mistake to post and a bigger one to respond
Very best wishes
 and
 Burn the dressing gown Owen.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »

Sorry, I just thought you might be far enough down the road to be jogged into a litle reflection.

My anecdote was not about mysticism - you wouldn't make the comment if you understood anything about long-term elective mutism.

I had hesitated to respond to your original post but like another poster was rather worried about you. Sometimes it's not enough for your mates to pretend it'll be fine in a minute.

I think you would find professional advice helpful. Much of what you write looks rather like depression. I am however puzzled by the way your doubts are offset by an unjustified amount of self belief.
Worryingly your protests are contradicted by your own accounts.
You're a young man, don't be over-sensitive I'm trying to say something useful. There is a book jointly written by Dr Anthony Clare (psychiatrist) and Spike Milligan. I don't remember the title but thoroughly recommend the book - it gave me a number of insights.
Mark Twain (I think)  "When I was 16 my Dad was a complete idiot. By the time I was 25 it was  amazing how much he had learnt."
It was a mistake to post and a bigger one to respond
Very best wishes
 and
 Burn the dressing gown Owen.

Apologies dunlustin, you caught me at a bad moment and I posted in haste. I'll send you a PM, but one question, why should I burn my dressing gown? I am very fond of it :P

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal