Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's it called? (And how do you do it?)  (Read 5022 times)

katesfolly

What's it called? (And how do you do it?)
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »

So....I've seen/heard people on diatonics doing a trick I'd like to emulate, but I'm not sure what to call the technique or how to accomplish it on my somewhat uncooperative equipment.

They're getting the same note sounded 3, or more, times in rapid succession as an ornament to the melody.  It looks like it's usually index-middle-index finger or ring-middle-index finger for a triple. I would call that a 32nd, a triplet, or a shiver, but my terms come from local fiddle tradition--Is there a different name for this on b-box?  I can't really search for help without knowing what to call it.

I'm playing a two-row hohner, and trying to accomplish this I run into the crazy key travel, plus generally slow response. Anybody know some tricks I could try?

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
Re: What's it called? (And how do you do it?)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »

Which ever fingers you use to get the (ornamentation), for want of a better word, you will need to develop a very light style of fingering. Only use just enough pressure to make the notes sound, if your box has strong button return springs on it, this can make it more difficult. As you develp the light fingered approach, the dups and trips should start to become easier with practice.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »

You could call it a one-button triplet. It's probably copied from fiddling, and in fiddling it can be called anything - triplet, treble, shake and probably lots of other things.

Popularized in Irish music in the 1970s by Jackie Daly, probably inspired by what Scottish piano-accordion players had started doing.

Further developed by Sharon Shannon and the younger generation who have compressed it into an impossibly short little brrp. I just can't do that - but I can do the more leisurely Jackie-Daly style - here's a clip to demonstrate two ways of fingering it.

PS Unlike Tom, it seems, I tend to whack the buttons pretty hard.

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »

Peter Browne has a DVD that explains how to do lots of techniques including the 1-note triplet and shows different methods, using two fingers alternating or using three fingers.

The button box sells it for $28. Might be able to find it somewhere else also.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »

I generally use 3 (ring/middle/index) fingers flicking the top of the button in a fast roll. The main alternative is middle/index/middle which somehow seems stronger. Can't say could ever hit either 100% of the time  :-\  Clever buggers eg Pignol (seen) and Cutting (claimed) can do it all with a single finger. I've also seen John Kirkpatrick roll a note continuously ..  ..  AFAIR using 3 finger method. Believe he had forgotten the words to his song, and was awaiting inspiration ;)

If you are tripletting (another new word for Lester ;D ) eg D or E on a D/G you can spread it over 2 buttons using the 2 rows, rather easier but somehow lacks oomph.
  _       _    _      _ 

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 06:44:09 PM »

So....I've seen/heard people on diatonics doing a trick I'd like to emulate, but I'm not sure what to call the technique or how to accomplish it on my somewhat uncooperative equipment.

They're getting the same note sounded 3, or more, times in rapid succession as an ornament to the melody.  It looks like it's usually index-middle-index finger or ring-middle-index finger for a triple. I would call that a 32nd, a triplet, or a shiver, but my terms come from local fiddle tradition--Is there a different name for this on b-box?  I can't really search for help without knowing what to call it.

I'm playing a two-row hohner, and trying to accomplish this I run into the crazy key travel, plus generally slow response. Anybody know some tricks I could try?
    Having recently gone from a Hohner Erica to a Castagnari Hascy, I can tell you that in my experience, 'tripleting' is infinitely easier on a higher end box (for me anyways). I normally go middle index middle, but it means having to think extra about hand positioning as its not something I can do without thinking about it at the moment.

deltasalmon

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »

Having recently gone from a Hohner Erica to a Castagnari Hascy, I can tell you that in my experience, 'tripleting' is infinitely easier on a higher end box (for me anyways). I normally go middle index middle, but it means having to think extra about hand positioning as its not something I can do without thinking about it at the moment.

I agree. I always play cleaner triplets when I'm in an accordion shop than when I'm playing the ones I own... Maybe I should upgrade?
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »

I find they work just fine on any old Hohner!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »

I generally use 3 (ring/middle/index) fingers flicking the top of the button in a fast roll.

On the rare occasions when I use a triplet on a single note, that's what I do too. Most of my triplet ornaments use two notes and two fingers (I'm sure there's a technical term for that, but I just do it because it sounds OK).

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »

I'm a first and middle finger man myself and have no problems playing single button triplets on my Hohner Ericas or my 1 Row 4 Stop. Restricting the action on Ericas/Pokerworks certainly helps with triplets.

Many examples in my blog address below.

katesfolly

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »

Sounds like there are several approaches that work, and probably which works best somewhat depends on the physical limitations of the box. 

I've had more luck using a single finger and working the button right at the edge of making sound, probably due to the key travel on my old, leaky (but juicy-sounding) Hohner. Sounds like i could improve that by restricting the travel on the keys, which might also dampen the incessant key clattering, which is not, really, as one of my fiddlers called it, "charming". If I "flicked" the key tops like ChrisRyall, all you'd hear is key-slap.  I'll head over to the repair forum and see what I can dig up.

Sounds like when I get off work, I need to go lost-weekend on YouTube a little.  :)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »

Sounds like there are several approaches that work, and probably which works best somewhat depends on the physical limitations of the box. 

I've had more luck using a single finger and working the button right at the edge of making sound, probably due to the key travel on my old, leaky (but juicy-sounding) Hohner. Sounds like i could improve that by restricting the travel on the keys, which might also dampen the incessant key clattering, which is not, really, as one of my fiddlers called it, "charming". If I "flicked" the key tops like ChrisRyall, all you'd hear is key-slap.  I'll head over to the repair forum and see what I can dig up.

Sounds like when I get off work, I need to go lost-weekend on YouTube a little.  :)

The bulk of the clacking from the treble end of Hohners is the pallets closing when you release the key due to the v thin facing Hohner use. Replacing it with nice felt/leather material quietens it down.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »

This is a video by a tex-mex player, but the second technique he teaches is the one your asking about.  Very interesting.

http://youtu.be/Tx_yTGQB1nQ
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »

Totally!  ::) I think it has at least doubled my understanding in Tex-Mex in one 5 minute video! Suspect any melnetter who doesn't live on the Rio Grande will get at least something from that little cracker ;D
  _       _    _      _ 

katesfolly

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »

@GaryChapin
Thanks for the link, that's rather awesome! I watched several of his videos. (I love conjunto).

@Chris Ryall
I think "cracker" must mean something rather different where you are (the UK?)...what does it mean?

@Lester, I am sure you're right re: the clacking--I took my box apart last night and there's very thin, hard leather on the, um, pallets. I have some felts left over from doing work on my piano that might be appropriate...I'll take a look over in the repair forum.  I replaced four or five leathers last night, because they were curled up rather dramatically.

I'm deeply jealous of those of you in the UK and elsewhere who have relatively easy access to repairmen.  Support them, or they'll disappear!

Graham Spencer

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »

I think "cracker" must mean something rather different where you are (the UK?)...what does it mean?

It means something exceptionally good of its kind in the UK; does it mean something different in the US?

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »

It has a lot of subtle gradings sometimes it's equivalent of "white redneck."  Very often it is used by African-Americans and latinos as a term for "white people."  It's not a term of affection.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Graham Spencer

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »

Well there you go - you learn something every day.  Thanks for the explanation.

Graham

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

Sorry, 'bout that! :|bl  Two races, divided by a single language, as they say ...
  _       _    _      _ 

Graham Spencer

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »

Sorry, 'bout that! :|bl  Two races, divided by a single language, as they say ...

Ah, but we had it first!  >:E ;D

Graham

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal