Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wellington and Nelson NZ music scene?  (Read 1837 times)

Jeanne Marie

Wellington and Nelson NZ music scene?
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »

Hey All,
I am in New Zealand, will be in Wellington and Nelson this week and next and looking for music sessions or people who might want to get together and play. I'm planning to go to the Solstice Morris Ale, but anything else? Here's my mobile: 022 0823866

Jeanne Marie;-)  :|||:
castagnari - Benny c#dg

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Wellington and Nelson NZ music scene?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »

Was in both in 2008, Nelson had a very nice Folk club and Wellington had 2 sessions, bizarrely same time, same day :P But things change, I believe the Christchurch sessions pub may have collapsed in an earthquake!

Try the (excellent) http://www.kiwifolk.org.nz .. then still phone to check!
  _       _    _      _ 

Jeanne Marie

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »

Thanks, Chris. I know there are some sessions but I lost track of that website you gave me, so that's very helpful. (:)
castagnari - Benny c#dg

Lyra

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »

Session is Mondays at Kitty's - doesn't start till 10pm. I think it tends to the militant wing of the ITM movement.
Friday 7 June 2013: Blackboard concert at Mojo Invincible, 161 Willis Street, 7.00-9.00pm Free
Sunday 9 June: Singaround at The Back Paddock, 11-15 Torrens Terrace, 7.30pm (It’s upstairs at the offices of Julie Lamb and Associates, in the D.W. Dentice building. The building is on the left hand side, just up from the corner with Webb St. Look out for the Acoustic Routes sandwich board at the venue entrance.) Entry by koha (collection)

Think that's about it in Wellington. Nelson has lots more but I don't know any details. You could try asking the guys at Ceol Aneas (http://www.irishmusic.org.nz/ceol-aneas) - quite a few of them seem to be based in Nelson area.
If you're going to the morris thing, David Barnes will know of anything else going on.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »

Session is Mondays at Kitty's - doesn't start till 10pm. I think it tends to the militant wing of the ITM movement.

AFAIR I didn't feel welcome there and wandered off to the simultaneous "open" one down the road - had a very happy time. Seems that's no more though?   Quite forgot you were there now, Lyra, how's it going?  :D

er .. isn't Nelson on another Island, and not by the ferry, either?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:00:57 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Lyra

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:49:15 AM »

Nice to know it's not just me 8)
Nelson is 25 mins on the plane. I was there the other week - is nice and does have more of a folky vibe than Wellington appears to.
That being said, the Morris boys and girls are very welcoming - I just don't have that much to do atm as the ladies side rehearses during the day and that scuppers me, so I just turn up and look enthusiastic when they dance out. Their Mr Barnes used to run the open session.

Jeanne Marie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »

Mr. David Barnes and some of the Morris gentlemen took me out last night :|glug and tonight I go to their practice  :||: tomorrow, they dance out :M. Friday, Nelson for 5 days. Hopefully I'll find some music happening there. Next weekend, Solstice Morris Ale in Wellington  :M  :|glug  :|||:
castagnari - Benny c#dg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal