Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 bas-buttons on a 2-row?  (Read 2383 times)

tostean

12 bas-buttons on a 2-row?
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »

I have sometimes seen two-rows with 12 buttons in the bas-section, but have never had one in hand. Can someone explain to me which extra possibilities that gives? Links to sites/articles etc.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: 12 bas-buttons on a 2-row?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »

There's no standard layout for a 12 bass, so the answer depends on which layout you choose. There tend to be 2 schools of thought:

1) Add extra chords (F/F#/Bb/Eb/etc) so you have the vast majority of the chords available to you
2) Get the chords you already have in both directions - e.g. G available on the pull, A on the push on a D/G box which makes it easier to play tunes without having to resort to exotic fingering to get the chords to match.

Some layouts are hybrids - e.g. G on the pull, A on the push on one pair of extra buttons, F on the pull, F#m on the push on the other is a pretty common choice of layout for a D/G.

You'll find quite a few keyboard layouts on the main www.melodeon.net site, especially under the 2.5 row section - each have advantages and disadvantages.

Cheers,

Clive

george garside

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »

If the  two rows of buttons are offset rather than  square on to each other it indicates 12 stradella bass which all provide same note/chord on press  suck & blow.  some hohner double ray de lux  (BC)were made with that layout which I personally think is the best set up a BC box. ( it was also the norm on the BCC# hohner trichord although some were made with 'melodeon' bass  . 

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".    Available on ebay as a 'buy now' item. Put in melodeon tutor book for full info.  Melodeon DG & BC and piano accordion tuition

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:09:15 PM »

2) Get the chords you already have in both directions...

The Basque Trikitixa is set with a bi-directional bass, enabling you to do blindingly flash stuff like this... 8)

As far as I can discern (by going off YouTube's offerings), the most common tuning for Trikitixa is Bb/Eb (as per this well known ditty ;D), followed by G/C...

Ed J
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:21:59 PM by EeeJay »

tostean

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »

Thanks for the answers. I see now that it's needed to have the actual instrument directly in hand to find out how the tuning is.
tostean
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal