Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted a few ideas for american square dance tunes  (Read 2707 times)

ACE

Wanted a few ideas for american square dance tunes
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »

Got a bit of a do to attend next week and my friends have asked if I could do  some square dances. (slightly out of my comfort zone, but why not) I have a few tunes like turkey in the straw and a few skiffle tunes that will fit the bill. anybody know any simple tunes that will do just in case it goes on a bit. I shall need to record them and play them back on my tailgater amp so I can also call them to start with then join in the tune. So if you want to make a soundtrack in G preferably, I will pinch it. Not asking much am I but HELP.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:11:56 PM by ACE »
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Marje

• Respected Sage
Re: Wanted a few ideas for american square dance tunes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »

A pair of reels that work well for a square dance are "Goodbye Girls I'm Going to Boston" and "Log Cabin" (not to be confused with The Log Cabin). They can both be found in various formats on the abc Tune Finder site, http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

Having said that, many reels and jigs you'd use at an English ceilidh would work well enough.
Marje

ACE

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »

Sorted. English reels, It is going to be a western style evening, so my usual irish and scottish sounding stuff would not really do. But I have dragged out my list and found loads of stuff. Thankyou.

If they want line dancing, I'm out of it.

george garside

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »

a set I have used for years is Swanee river, Camptown Races and  Oh Susanna.        Coming round the mountain, Maggie and Geordie Hinny also works well.    La Russe and Caddum wood go well together ( I play  La Russe in D and Caddum in G to give a key change)

Many Scottish  tunes work well  if the tempo is adjusted to suit the dance eg Scotland the Brave , thistle of Scotland & Loch Lomond and loads of others!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

katesfolly

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »

Here's a short list of relatively common, relatively easy ones that make decent dance tunes:
Seneca Square Dance (G)
Natchez Under the Hill (G or A, regional variation)
Kansas City Rag (this one, not the actual rag:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaOyEoyzE2E) (G)
Sugar in the Coffee-O (G or D, regional variation)
Sally Ann (D)
Run Johnny Run (G or D, regional variation)

None of that's very western, but it should serve well enough, and western squares tend to be slower and more stately than southern squares, so you shouldn't need to play them blazing fast either. 

Have a great time, ACE!

ACE

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »

All went well, Buffalo girls etc. Melodeon on, tamborine under my foot and for some strange reason was able to call the moves while I was actually paying the tunes. Can't usually speak at all. Strange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal