Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mel Biggs: DG Melodeon Tuition - I'm available!  (Read 18076 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: Mel Biggs: DG Melodeon Tuition - I'm available!
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 12:44:45 PM »

;D

However back to your op Stephen. By all accounts Mel is brilliant as a teacher and that must be a good thing for so many people. I just wish that someone like her was around in the 60's
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:48:53 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »

Look like I'm a little late to the bug squishing party!

But, thanks for your feedback Stephen - and your kind words Nick Collis Bird!

Mx
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Eoin Mac

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 08:45:38 PM »

Hi just had my first lesson with Mel and she was engaging, knowledgeable and skilled as a teacher. Very confident that we'll have a productive working relationship for the duration and she'll be a great sounding board and facilitator of loads of new learning going forward. No hesitation in recommending her for anyone out there who is considering taking lessons and looking for a teacher. Skype worked well and it's great to be able to use technology that brings the lesson into one's home, wherever that may be....

Amanda Beech

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 07:02:07 PM »

Glad to be able to add another voice to the list of fans of Mel Biggs!! Have just had one lesson with her and am excited to see how much I can improve with a little help. Have been struggling on for a few years by myself, except for a few vital inputs and great encouragement from Nick Collis Bird. (thank you and missing you Nick, having moved up north!)
Mel was very positive about my potential, got down to the techniques straight away, and its much easier on Skype than I imagined. Looking forward to my next lesson!

David

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »

I had my first lesson with Mel last week, having attended her workshops at Shrewsbury this year.   I really enjoyed the lesson; Mel was very patient and encouraging.  I'd been concerned how well it would work over Skype, but this wasn't a problem at all.

dave t

• Good talker
  • DB Oakwood Super III/Pastourelle II
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »

Just had my first Skype lesson with Mel and it was great. Mel is very encouraging and patient, which I realise that the previous poster has also said, so it must be true! If you’re worried about having lessons on Skype then don’t be, it feels totally normal within a couple of minutes even though I've never Mel in person.

Now I just need to get back to work on The Sportsman’s Hornpipe ready for next week….

Jackie_H

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 07:05:58 PM »

I had my first skype lesson with Mel last week.
I was quite anxious but needn't have worried, Mel has a lovely easy style that quickly put me at ease. I enjoyed the session, it flew past and I felt that I was starting on a really useful and exciting journey. I felt that it was a very personalised session based on where I was and what was going to help me improve and gain confidence.
I totally agree with everyone else. Even if you are nervous, take the plunge, you'll really enjoy it and using Skype quickly seems the most natural thing to do.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »

Hi Mel. PM and email sent. Cheers, David

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2017, 03:52:28 PM »

Hi Mel. PM and email sent. Cheers, David

Cheers David! Just got back to you :-)
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »

A recent bit of first lesson feedback:

"Feeling very positive. You're just the teacher, with just the right teaching tools I need right now. I just wish I wasn't gigging away all weekend so I can start practising my exercises. You were super clear and super relaxed and we covered just what I would have chosen to cover had I had the wherewithal to know what is best for me and the melodeon at this stage!" -Jude

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »

I am taking sensible precautions and self-isolating after experiencing mild flu-like symptoms. Unfortunately, this means I have had to pull out of gigs, workshops and recording sessions this weekend and into next week. I'm expecting this to make a significant dent in my monthly income.

On a positive note, I am now available all week for melodeon teaching via Skype. Please get in touch via email for further details: mel@melbiggsmusic.co.uk

I teach English/Balfolk styles on DG, CF, GC and Bb/Eb instruments. Want to learn to play by ear? I'm your gal! Fancy improving confidence and expanding repertoire? Look no further!

The Mel Method: Why I Should Be Your Melodeon Teacher -------->
https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/2019/01/10/the-mel-method/

"Best melodeon tuition ever"

"Patience without judgement"

10+ years experience | expert tutor

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »

I think you have made the correct decision to self-isolate. Hope you soon recover fully, Mel!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

george garside

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2020, 02:18:59 PM »

hope you don't get the full works Mel!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2020, 03:40:57 PM »

I hope you make a rapid recovery, Mel. Look after yourself.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »

Thanks everyone for your concern and healing wishes! It's very mild at the moment, luckily, but I'm reading that it is for many cases.

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »

The 'flu part can be fairly harmless, it's the lung problems that happen several days later that can be dangerous, but statistically you have age (or rather youth!) on your side... Best wishes for a full recovery, anyway.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2020, 06:52:38 PM »

Thanks everyone for your concern and healing wishes! It's very mild at the moment, luckily, but I'm reading that it is for many cases.

Have you had yourself tested for Covid-19? I'm hearing that self employed people could put in an insurance claim for loss of earnings if they test positive. Just a thought. Depends on what is covered in your insurance I guess.

Hope you get well soon.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2020, 07:30:11 PM »

How do you get tested? Everything I've read is saying if you're self-isolating you don't need to be tested unless you're symptoms worsen and you need to go to A&E...

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »

Power to your (left) elbow Mel, and I hope your youth lets you throw off any virus quickly.

Teaching melodeon is a brave career choice  in this country, though there are quite a few in eg France. It works too. I spent a week 1:1’ing with Stef Milleret and Patrick Reboud 5 years back, and it sorted out a load of self taught 🙄 bad habits. Truly opened up singing with box for me (they like “a project”). Song had been on my “too hard pile” for decades.

Best, Chris

No, you don’t need a test. And don’t go to A&E either. It takes hours to deep clean ambulances. Advice is to call 111 (brew a cuppa first!). I think they pick you up, or send an outreach worker if you are truly ill
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:11:21 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal