Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: hardcore hohner  (Read 8714 times)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
hardcore hohner
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:15:50 AM »

I was gonna post this in the recent belly dance thread, but it doesn't quite fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0S8I5vLKg

I'd be interested if anyone knows anything about this music, style, origin, etc..

There's plenty of this stuff on youtube. Some of which would challenge even the most fervent accordion nut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJjwWpyoqOI

I think it comes from Turkey, possibly Çanakkale province.

In this vid we get to see some dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLG5HqFjMA

googling the word nartajans (seen the bottom RH corner of the youtube posting) brings up links to a Crircassian culture site, this could be the original Circassian Circle dance!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:27:54 AM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Re: hardcore hohner
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:24:48 AM »

I couldn't watch the whole 12mins+ but it began to get interesting about 20secs from the end...

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:01:03 AM »

Not a clue. There's probably structure in there, I find it hard to perceive.

[Edit] The dancing one makes more sense musically, still no ideas though. We need a proper ethnomusicologist!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:08:11 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

dunlustin

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »

Well I reckon the music is only there because the dancers are - not a bad principle.
As to the dancing I found it fascinating. From the dress variations it doesn't seem ultra conservative.
On the other hand there seem to be obvious taboos - men apart from women, the bow at the end of each dance which could be a touch but isn't quite, the girls not turning their backs as they leave the floor. Sometimes it looks as if one dancer initiates a move and a partner copies it. There aso seems to be a lot of flirting + seeing how close you can get without infringing some convention. Also As with other posters I have no idea what is going on but it's compulsive viewing.
One other thing - how do you guys stumble on these amazing finds?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

There's plenty of this stuff on youtube. Some of which would challenge even the most fervent accordion nut

I think I've seen this lady busking in Newcastle. ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »

One other thing - how do you guys stumble on these amazing finds?

.. have melodeon, will travel! Got my first breton festival next month, hopefully Québéc in the Fall :P
  _       _    _      _ 

invadm

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

i know what this music and who the people are..I am one of them...i will post more info very soon..

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »

Brilliant, look forward to that.  ;D
  _       _    _      _ 

invadm

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »

Well, lets start with a a brief history and geography lesson. This music, dancing, people are all of Circassian origin, and I am one of them, like i mentioned in an earlier post. My ancestors are from the region called the North Caucasus on the coast of the Black Sea in Russia. The region is made up of small republics, a few of them are, Adygea, Kabardeya, Chechnya, Abkhazia to name just a few. These are collectively known as the North Caucasus and the people are called Circassians. They have their own language, not dialect, music, traditions food are exclusive to that region. How these people came to be in Turkey is the history now !! 150 years ago, Russians drove out these people from their homelands. There was mass genocide and the Circassians had become one of the first stateless peoples in modern history. They fled from the North Caucasus across the Black Sea into what was then "The Ottoman Empire". They settled in and around the empire which is now known as the Republic of Turkey. 150 years later, our culture, language, food, music and dance is very much alive. My great grandfather had travelled the treacherous journey and settled in the north of Turkey. And this is how we became Turkish citizens. We embrace our homeland and our birth country too.                       

The music and the rhythm is based on the walk of the horse. The horse is very symbolic and important in this culture as the horse was part of the family so to speak. The mans dancing moves mimics the horses behaviour. Circassian music originally, before the melodeon was a string instrument, that was played with a bow.  With time, the instruments evolved and thus we came to discover the melodeon and followed by the piano key accordion. The melodeon is the only instrument now that speaks our native language and expresses our life and feelings. Well observed by dunlustin. In fact your observation was almost spot on, very impressed !!! Circassian culture is very strict on respect. Respect for elders is paramount, respect for women, well everyone really. So at a wedding or dancing time, there would be no contact and yes there is flirting but its harmless banter and never crude. Some regions will have a dance at the beginning of an event and some at the end. This dance is the only one in which there would be contact. A guy would go up to a girl and ask to be a partner bit like country dancing. It is only then during the wedding will they have a chance to speak. At the end of the other dances, both the girl and the boy should NOT turn their backs as this is considered very rude. Also it is upto the girl to finish the dance.
To be honest I could go on and on about our culture it is very complex and leads to so many other topics. I don't want to bore you but this is just a few basics. If you want to know more I would be glad to write more !!!

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »

Thanks invadm for your informative background to Circassian dance music. You & Mike Hurst have opened the door to another world of melodeon playing I'd never heard of.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:16 AM »

Thank you, invade. Very interesting to hear about your culture.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

oolong32

• G/C Serafini R2D2, C/F Pokerwork, C/F Hohner Norma
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 01:49:45 AM »

Next Theme of the month: Circassian dance music. ABCs please!  :||:
♭ ♮ ♯

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »

I couldn't watch the whole 12mins+ but it began to get interesting about 20secs from the end...

I'm surprised, I was enthralled by the whole thing! Many thanks to invadm for such a concise and informative introduction to the Circassian culture, fascinating stuff!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

invadm

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »

Next Theme of the month: Circassian dance music. ABCs please!  :||:
I am not a great dancer but fortunately I am quite a good melodeon player of Circassian music and I happen to live in London, and I am more than happy to share my music with anyone who is interested !

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »

I was gonna post this in the recent belly dance thread, but it doesn't quite fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0S8I5vLKg

I'd be interested if anyone knows anything about this music, style, origin, etc..

googling the word nartajans (seen the bottom RH corner of the youtube posting) brings up links to a Crircassian culture site, this could be the original Circassian Circle dance!!

It's pretty obvious the lady is not playing at all, just puffing the bellows in and out. Are you sure this has not been put up by Borat ( aka Sasha Baron Cohen)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:51:52 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

dunlustin

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 06:55:17 PM »

What amazing good luck for melnet that invadm stumbled on the OP - and for him to be living in London.
By the way, thank you for your kind words.
I found the video quite moving - 2 reasons off the top of my head:
1.The clear authenticity of the dancing.
2. The music is servant to the occasion and the dance.
Personally I would really like to know more.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »

Ditto, I'd sort of half connected Circassian with the Greater Caucasian mountains, but this has been an eye opener.  (well done, Mike) There are many references to beautiful Circassian women in British literature incidentally, eg Byron, and including (I suspect)

And the Georgia boys with their greedy eyes,
   Coveted our daughters
(Ralph McTell, 70's)

They really do hav the most greedy eyes! Another cultural thing perhaps?

More Circassian stuff please, and congratulations on your perfect English.
  _       _    _      _ 

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 12:30:57 AM »

And the Georgia boys with their greedy eyes,
   Coveted our daughters
(Ralph McTell, 70's)

The Gypsy from Ralph's 1972 'Not Till Tomorrow' Album, a song I've often wondered about. It's a toss up between that LP and 'Easy' for his best ever work, but definitely his best period.

I would like to know more of the Circassian culture but I fear it's well off topic for this forum.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »

Not in this thread, if they really do it with melodeons ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

invadm

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »

It's pretty obvious the lady is not playing at all, just puffing the bellows in and out. Are you sure this has not been put up by Borat ( aka Sasha Baron Cohen)
[/quote]

It is not a prank from Borat for sure !!  :D  This lady probably hasn't played in a long while and is rusty. This tune is one of the classics from teh Abkhazian region called APSUWA KOSARA, you can find plenty more on you tube if you type that in. http://www.apsuvara.org/videolar/videobak/96/mzka/mzka-bck-cekim.html  - this might be a better example of melodeon playing by circassians!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal