Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: hardcore hohner  (Read 8709 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: hardcore hohner
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

invadm

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »

Invadm, thanks for the background info, very interesting, I'd like to hear your stuff if you have recorded any, or if you could explain a bit more about how a tune or a performance is put together, this is some good music that I don't totally understand yet.  How much of a tune is fixed and how much is improvised or added by the player
[/quote]

I have tried to upload some of my own clips but they seem to be too big for this site. I will try to reduce them and try to re-post.
The tunes go back hundreds of years and none of them are written. They are handed down from generation to generation purely by ear. I learned to play these tunes from my grandfather, he knew nothing about reading music so he must have learned these tunes by ear too from his elders. Mostly all tunes are fixed, there is always a beginning a middle and end and the dancers follow the music.  Generally the tunes are not too long but constantly repeated as it comes to the end, you would start again from the beginning without stopping.  There are many known lyrics and are mostly love stories or about the diaspora, the longing for their homeland. When I watched RIVERDANCE for the first time, I thought then it was very similar to my culture.
Every melodeon player would have their own style and a little twist to the tune, but the core of the music will be pretty much the same.

invadm

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »

And the Georgia boys with their greedy eyes,
   Coveted our daughters
(Ralph McTell, 70's)

They really do hav the most greedy eyes! Another cultural thing perhaps?

More Circassian stuff please, and congratulations on your perfect English.
[/quote]

It's not just the melodeon and the dancing that is apparent in our culture, Circassian girls are very well known for their beauty, elegancy and their hourglass figure. But now, thanks to McDonalds and KFC's and pizza hut and turkish doner's our girls seem to have grown a little, i personally blame GM food ! ;D !!!! One of the most impressive talents of our girls is if they can play the melodeon whilst dancing !!
I must say though, the girl playing in this clip is very good, this is father and daughter, they have a clip in which they play together it is amazingly in sync, brilliant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZIPaCrArA

invadm

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »

This more formal style caught my eye.

There a many dance groups within Turkey and of course back in the Caucasus.   You're right, it is a more formal dance as dance ensembles are usually for show. However, in these dance groups the instrument changes from melodeon to accordions or the russian made garmonica.
The most well known and famous professional dance group is called NALMES there are plenty of their clips from their shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaOPzjTDW4

invadm

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »

I would like to know more of the Circassian culture but I fear it's well off topic for this forum.

It is very difficult to explain the melodeon playing in this culture without going into a bit of history. It wasn't my intention to go into the culture, however the melodeon played a very significant and important role in music. Obviously, times have changed and so has the instruments now there are very few authentic melodeon players in Turkey. The younger generation have adopted the piano accordion and the melodeon players are becoming extinct !! :(   There are a few enthusiasts who still are eager to teach their melodeon skills and are running courses in teaching young players.  :||:

invadm

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »

googling the word nartajans (seen the bottom RH corner of the youtube posting) brings up links to a Crircassian culture site, this could be the original Circassian Circle dance!!
[/quote]

NARTAJANS is a media establishment which is aimed at the circassians living in Turkey. They try to collect data and bring it all together under one roof. Music and dance changes from region to region and NARTAJANS tries to collate all this data from all over Turkey. It's difficult not to go into more info but there are Circassians that also settled in, Syria, Jordan, Israel, even as far as USA, therefore the music and instruments change.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »

Could you please add in explicit {button to press} instruction in any examples. My written Nartajan is "pitifully weak to non existent" ;) and even Google translate doesn't yet go there

But do keep this coming, lovely and lively!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:48:37 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

waltzman

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »

I would like to know more of the Circassian culture but I fear it's well off topic for this forum.

It is very difficult to explain the melodeon playing in this culture without going into a bit of history. It wasn't my intention to go into the culture, however the melodeon played a very significant and important role in music. Obviously, times have changed and so has the instruments now there are very few authentic melodeon players in Turkey. The younger generation have adopted the piano accordion and the melodeon players are becoming extinct !! :(   There are a few enthusiasts who still are eager to teach their melodeon skills and are running courses in teaching young players.  :||:

I'm really surprised that the piano accordion would displace the melodeon for this type of dance music.  The melodeon really shines in its ability to create punchy rhythmic music for dancing.  This is very hard to do on the PA.

Mystery Jig

• Good talker
  • State 'O' Maine
    • Mystery Jig
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »

I've learned so much! Thanks! Don't stop now!  :||:
Beltuna Samuel III A/D/G
Beltuna Sara 3+2 G/C

invadm

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 12:19:27 AM »

Could you please add in explicit {button to press} instruction in any examples. My written Nartajan is "pitifully weak to non existent" ;) and even Google translate doesn't yet go there

But do keep this coming, lovely and lively!

Nartajans is a media group which collates and collects all kinds of news and info specifically for circassians in Turkey, and therefore the Nartajan website is in Turkish. For info on melodeons it is not the best source for this music.  I will keep you posted for better examples. 

invadm

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »

[/quote]

I'm really surprised that the piano accordion would displace the melodeon for this type of dance music.  The melodeon really shines in its ability to create punchy rhythmic music for dancing.  This is very hard to do on the PA.
[/quote]

The melodeon is almost exclusive to the Circassians living in Turkey. The circassians in the motherland plays the PA and the Russian made "garmon". My guess is that after the circassians settled in the, then Ottoman empire, discovered melodeons and adapted. Going back in history, you will find there was a strong connection between Germany and the Ottoman Empire. Of course there are many makers and makes of melodeons, but the most widely known and used by circassians in Turkey is HOHNER C/F.

When the iron curtain fell, turkish circassian started to travel to motherland together with developing technology "www." the younger generation started to listen and discover the PA was actually used in the motherland as opposed to the melodeon.  The circassians in the motherland or any other circassians ie, ones in Jordan, Syria, etc wouldn't know the tunes of the melodeon itself. Actual fact is that the Circassians living in Turkey believe that the melodeon is purely for their own music and that no-one else would know about it. When I told them there are melodeon players in UK and that I met a few of them, the reaction I got was "how do they know about melodeons" ? !! ???
They strongly believe that the melodeon only speaks their language and in fact they refer to the instrument as "circassian melodeons" ! :||:

Matthew B

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

hionay

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »

This is from Black Sea of Turkey folk music. Usually played with Hohner 1-row:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjQQLlYQoDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5SzyQmmPeg

and its dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOOup5nXx8M

hionay

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »

It'll be message flood but I couldn't edit my previous post.

I can post more videos if any of you interested.

This music is played only in Rize (Turkey / Black Sea) and It's only played on a row with blocking G/C bass usually.

We dance with this music and name of the dance is "Horon".

Also we call this instrument(Hohner 1 or 2 rows melodeons) in our city(Rize) "Armonik" or "Mozika".

There is a facebook page that I own and upload all of this videos who plays that kind of music with melodeons.

To see all melodeon and dance videos:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.218421751508137&type=2

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:17:26 PM by hionay »

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »

Great stuff, many thanks. The humble one-row strikes again!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Same for me. I never would've guessed a melodeon could play dance music like this.

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »

To repeat Rees: Great stuff.  Your ability, invadm, to add so much information so fully and clearly, in what I assume is a second language, is quite amazing.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en RĂ©

btracy

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »

There's plenty of this stuff on youtube. Some of which would challenge even the most fervent accordion nut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJjwWpyoqOI

btracy

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »

In this vid we get to see some dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLG5HqFjMA

The beginning of this had a nice cajun sound to it, at least it seemed that way to me.  I liked this music the best of what was posted here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal