Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth  (Read 31883 times)

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
Re: Sidmouth
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 08:54:08 AM »

I will be there all week continuing my career as the worlds slowest melodeon learner but I should have The Seven Stars with me as she is just about finished.
aka malodeon

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 12:54:23 PM »

...as the worlds slowest melodeon learner...

A hotly contested category one would imagine  (:)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

tekyinblack

• Good talker
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »

On the subject of meeting up, the landlord of The Balfour is booking sessions/performances during the week and has sent me an email of clear times should anyone be interested. I am not an agent, don't know what fees are like, but can forward contact details for anyone who would like to make/offer a booking.

Sat 3rd
1pm - 4pm - FREE

Tue 6th
4.30pm - 7.30pm - FREE

Wed 7th
1pm - 4pm - FREE
4.30pm - 7.30pm - FREE

Thu 8th
5pm - 8pm - FREE
Castagnari Sander D/G, Hohner Club III D/G, Hohner Liliput Eb/Bb, Hohner Club II C/F

Doug

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »

Hi All.......Liz and I will be at Sidmouth all the week and like Bob E, will be parked on the Rugby Field in our Bessacarr. We need a Bessacarr melodeon players section! And we will be at the Balfour / Loose Knit Band session each evening. I'm sure it's going to be good................Doug
Serenellini 3v, Dino Baffetti Oakwood Super 2v  and Castignari Giordy. All D/G.

Black Diamond

• Black Diamond Accordions
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »

We will be there all week in the Music Tent in Blackmore Gardens (come and share some tunes with us) - and also taking part in various evening sessions around the town. YoungRay will be helping to man our stand. Looking forward to meeting lots of melnet-ers.  :||:

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »

Having instigated this thread, it may seem ill-mannered of me not to have responded sooner to the subsequent posts, for which I apologise. Unfortunately, my internet connection has been down for several days due to a fault on the line.

There seem to be a goodly number of us who will be at Sidmouth, but not many have expressed interest in a melnet meeting at the Balfour. This may be because people are not bothered about meeting or because the Balfour is quite a hike from the centre of town. I suggested the Balfour because we (The Loose Knit Band) will be hosting our usual session there each evening and people might want to stay for the session, because we held a melnet meeting there last year and because the landlord, Steve, is a very friendly and amenable chap. Thanks to Tekyinblack for posting the times when the Balfour will be available. I don't expect there will be any fee involved because Steve didn't ask for one last year.

There seem to be two issues. Firstly, do enough of us want a meeting to make it worth arranging. If we do, then the second issue comes into play: is the Balfour a convenient enough location? If so, I can arrange it with the landlord. If not, perhaps somebody living locally might be able to come up with a suitable alternative.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

tekyinblack

• Good talker
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »

For fee, read, he pays you, not the other way round. It's a case that he's booked a variety of folk acts during the week, and would like to fill up these slots.
The Loose Knit get every evening to themselves of course.
It's not a bad place for late risers to start the day off with some food and entertainment on the way into town, or for anyone returning to the campsite, to end the evening in.
Castagnari Sander D/G, Hohner Club III D/G, Hohner Liliput Eb/Bb, Hohner Club II C/F

Oscarmouse

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

Hi Bob and all.
To add weight to the numbers I will be in Sidmouth all week and hopefully in the Balfour most  nights.   I would be up for a melnet meet wherever.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »

Travelling down Tues, have to leave Friday am.

Just a thought for a Melnet meet... howzabout 'on the Front' if the weather allows?
I'm presuming that folks still have the informal 'sessions' along the front...

Not sure that these old pins can cope with a trudge up to the Balfour but willing to give it a go ;D

Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Doug

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »

Sidmouth is getting near! I'm happy to meet at the Balfour, but if some members feel it is too far, I'm also happy to meet on the sea front. The Loose Knit Band usually plays on the front outside the Lifeboat Station, for lifeboat funds, on the Tuesday from noon until 1pm. How about meeting there at 1pm and having a little session on the seafront, or going to find a pub or cafe to have a chat or play?
Doug
Serenellini 3v, Dino Baffetti Oakwood Super 2v  and Castignari Giordy. All D/G.

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »

Sidmouth is getting near! I'm happy to meet at the Balfour, but if some members feel it is too far, I'm also happy to meet on the sea front. The Loose Knit Band usually plays on the front outside the Lifeboat Station, for lifeboat funds, on the Tuesday from noon until 1pm. How about meeting there at 1pm and having a little session on the seafront, or going to find a pub or cafe to have a chat or play?
Doug

I'd be up for that, thought I'd be up for anything, I've never been to Sidmouth before so I have no idea where the best places are

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »

Doug

Sounds good

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 11:01:58 PM »

Ooh, programme has arrived today... time to get the coloured pens out and mark out our selections  (:)

I'm not much of a box player (yet, give me time, I'm working on it) but love to meet up with other box players so I'd like to come along if there is a melnet session, even if I just end holding down the air button and grinning.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »

Well, last time we danced at Sidmouth, I'd never picked up a melodeon. This time, through various twists of fate, I find my self one of the main box players. Working hard to nail the tunes at the moment.

For those of you there, I don't know if I can make it to any sessions, but it would be nice to see the likes of Bob outside of the Witney context! We are there all week but i don't think we have any actual days off this time  :o If you see the blue people, I'm the box player with the Baffetti/oakwood super - do come and say hello! Look out for Grace's amazing blue, sparkly Beltuna. And yes. She did buy it because of the colour. See you there!!

:|||: :|||: :M :M :M

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

I sense that some people would prefer not to go as far out of town as the Balfour for a melnet meet and it has been suggested as an alternative that it might take place on the seafront before or after the "fund-raising for the lifeboat" session we (the Loose Knit Band) organise each year.

The lifeboat session takes place, as you might expect, in front of the lifeboat station at the Ham end of the seafront and, weather permitting, I will try to organise it for our usual slot on Tuesday from 12 noon until 1.00 p.m. The melnet session/get together could follow on from the "fund-raising for the lifeboat" session and perhaps raise a bit more money for the lifeboat.

We could perhaps have a short break for people to grab some food, perhaps from one of the stalls on the Ham or from the Sailing Club and then continue until around 2.30 so that those who want to go to Ed Rennie's intermediate melodeon workshop have time to get there.

If the weather is wet, the "fund-raising for the lifeboat" session will be postponed until the following day, but the melnet session might be able to go ahead on the Tuesday if the Sailing Club is willing for us to go in there.

Any thoughts on this proposal?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »

I've just had a list sent of beers we're stocking in the Blackmore Dance Tent.
We've flown against the dictat of the rest of the festival and got a line up of really good local beers from Devon for your delictations, plus real local ciders too. Yum  :|glug
....and I suspect it'll be the best prices too.

Oread-uk: no doubt will meet in you dance capacity and put a face to the name!

Anyone else passing, please pop in and grab a good pint.
You'll get my personal service from Monday onwards.
..... And love to meet and chat!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 05:26:13 PM »

Oread-uk: no doubt will meet in you dance capacity and put a face to the name!

Q

I think our paths may have crossed at Berkshire Bedlam's WOD last year but I'm still none the wiser.  I'm sure in the course of ten days we'll be able to manage a hello this time :-P Currently waiting to see if our box player can take a break from his PHD to come for the whole week.  Otherwise our music could be... interesting... as my box playing is not what I would consider to be Sidmouth standard after three years! 

Liz  :|||:

tekyinblack

• Good talker
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »

Sidmouth standard is playing the same set of tunes twenty times every day. By the end of the week your confidence will be up and you'll have had loads of practice.
If you need a bit of help, then ask players from other sides, even if they don't know the tune/style, the company helps!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »

Liz, I think you're absolutely right, we have met at the BB weekend, but just don't realise it  (:)
If you've got 10 days there don't hurry, just....build up to it!

...and teky is right, you'll be world class at the end of the festival.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »

There's been no response one way or t'other about my suggestion that we meet up outside the Lifeboat Station at 1.00 p.m. on Tuesday after the end of the Loose Knit Band's 'fund-raising for the lifeboat' session (please feel free to turn up at 12.00 p.m. and join in the 'lifeboat' session, if you feel so inclined).

I will hang on at the end of the'lifeboat' session and meet up with anyone who turns up! If the weather is good, we could chat and play on the seafront. If we are unlucky with the weather, we could see whether the Sailing Club (next door to the Lifeboat Station) will allow us to meet in their upstairs bar, which seems likely if (a) nothing else is happening there at the time and (b) we are willing to buy drinks and/or food from them.

Alternatively, please look me up at my motorhome on the rugby field (an 07 registered Bessacarr) or come and say hello if you attend any of our sessions at the Balfour Arms, which occur every evening from 8.00 p.m.

I will be leaving for Sidmouth early tomorrow morning and may not have internet access after that, so don't be surprised if I don't respond to any posts thereafter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal